Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 11:19 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,537,804 times

Advertisements

So I see a bit of great and expected controversy about 2 different pipeline proposals through NJ lately.

The Pilgrim pipeline from Albany NY to Linden NJ and Port Reading NJ is one. Initially the map was very vague but just yesterday I see a great amount of detail about where this is proposed to run. I mentally envisioned the route down along the NY Thruway then down along parts on I-287 until crossing through the big meadows through Parsippany and further. Then down over the hill across Rt 22 by Terrill Rd and through many more towns.

One thing I found interesting is they want to go right through several county parks such as Ash Brook and Oak Ridge parks. I figure no way the county freeholders are going to sit for that one. Many towns along the way have already passed bans on this and recently PSE&G told them they couldn't use their existing rights of way, so maybe this thing will never happen but I was surprised to see where existing 40 inch underground pipelines are already built and in many cases going right through apt house parking lots, office bldgs, etc. never suspected those where there.

Also another one from PA towards somewhere by Trenton called Penn East has similar plans. none of these have any direct benefit to the people's lands they go through and they fairly well rip up a path during construction so I understand no one wants it through their backyard or park or whatever.

The Pilgrim one also wants to run through quite dense residential areas and through backyard easements between rows of houses.

Anyway maps which where kind of scarce before are online now at a few links:

Scroll down on this one and there are links for more detail:

Pligrim Pipeline

If you enter a zip code or address on this one you get existing ones displayed:

Public Awareness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 08:59 PM

10,221 posts, read 19,148,040 times
Infrastructure is important but it kinda sucks if they can't use the existing ROWs. No point in tearing up new land over it.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:56 PM

I think most of it is along existing things like power lines, pipelines and railroads. I'm kind of on the fence on it bu tit's not going through my backyard either so maybe i would be def more against it if it was.

I haven't looked over the whole routing yet but there is an expandable zoomable map on this page near the top along with some NJ maps.

Maps | Coalition to Stop Pilgrim Pipeline (CAPP)

Old 12-10-2014, 08:05 PM

300 posts, read 911,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I think most of it is along existing things like power lines, pipelines and railroads. I'm kind of on the fence on it bu tit's not going through my backyard either so maybe i would be def more against it if it was.

I haven't looked over the whole routing yet but there is an expandable zoomable map on this page near the top along with some NJ maps.

Maps | Coalition to Stop Pilgrim Pipeline (CAPP)
You know the basis of the opposition if it is along existing line ?
If I was living near a inactive train line then obviously I should be prepared to have train shuttling through my backyard in future.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:45 PM

465 posts, read 604,051 times
Default under your house

Question for everyone opposed to these pipelines: don't you have already have pipelines under your homes?

I think I will hold a protest in front of my house with a sign that reads "NO PIPELINES. WIFE CAN USE BLANKET."

Old 01-13-2015, 06:22 PM

657 posts, read 693,495 times
Lol, I agree with the previous poster.

Why is anyone opposed to lower energy prices and a better economy?

Think about folks, those of us who have to buy propane or oil are at the mercy of these monopolies. Bringing natural gas into our area would kill the monopolies and lower our heating bills. Both, home owners and businesses, would have new disposable income, which could boost other industries (if we don't get new taxes).

All in all, this is a win win. Those opposing it are being manipulated by the oil and propane industry.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by practicalposts View Post
You know the basis of the opposition if it is along existing line ?
If I was living near a inactive train line then obviously I should be prepared to have train shuttling through my backyard in future.
I totally agree about the train line scenario. I would expect that and respect it too.
As I understand it most of these new proposed lines are for carrying crude oil from North Dakota and the problem seems to be they are going through heretofore pristine lands with protected water sources and aquifers. When they finally get towards Eastern NJ they follow electric line trails and railroad lines.

As I was looking up some existing line maps I was surprised to find existing pipelines going past places I pass most every day. As I mentioned I'm a bit on the fence about the whole business and for instance I think that big Keystone XL should be built. I could definitely support opposition where these lines are proposed for running through highly sensitive countryside such as in Hunterdon County or up in Morris County. Maybe they can find a better path to propose them through that already has existing utilities and that would not potentially harm water supplies.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:27 AM

684 posts, read 809,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
Lol, I agree with the previous poster.

Why is anyone opposed to lower energy prices and a better economy?

Think about folks, those of us who have to buy propane or oil are at the mercy of these monopolies. Bringing natural gas into our area would kill the monopolies and lower our heating bills. Both, home owners and businesses, would have new disposable income, which could boost other industries (if we don't get new taxes).

All in all, this is a win win. Those opposing it are being manipulated by the oil and propane industry.
Or it can just be an illusion and then have natural gas work as a monopoly ? Ya never know.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:28 PM

657 posts, read 693,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
Or it can just be an illusion and then have natural gas work as a monopoly ? Ya never know.
That makes zero sense. You would still be able to buy propane or oil if you want. You cant buy natural gas today.

If I had a choice I would ditch propane for natural gas. Propane and oil companies are bullies because they don't have competition.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 PM

684 posts, read 809,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
That makes zero sense. You would still be able to buy propane or oil if you want. You cant buy natural gas today.

If I had a choice I would ditch propane for natural gas. Propane and oil companies are bullies because they don't have competition.
So who supplies natural gas ?

If you only have minimal choices then were all screwed and the company providing the service can dictate how much you are going to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: