U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,893 times

Advertisements

How are the schools in Rahway, NJ 07065
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 12:15 PM

7 posts, read 7,300 times
Hi, I just moved to Rahway in July (bought a house) the price was very good and its in a quiet neighborhood. I wish I had closed on the house I loved in the Inman Highs section but someone offered more money. Anyway my daughter started 3rd grade in Franklin Elementary and its eh alright. I knew before I bought the house that the HS scores of the kids from Rahway are below avarage and I am not planning on living here by the time my daughter has to go to high school. Her teacher is nice enough and she seems to enjoy the class and has adjusted well to the new school. The kids in school are mostly latino and black (we are white) I'm not a racist and it doesnt bother me but I know some people look at that.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:35 AM

1,772 posts, read 923,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bymysoultosqueeze View Post
Hi, I just moved to Rahway in July (bought a house) the price was very good and its in a quiet neighborhood. I wish I had closed on the house I loved in the Inman Highs section but someone offered more money. Anyway my daughter started 3rd grade in Franklin Elementary and its eh alright. I knew before I bought the house that the HS scores of the kids from Rahway are below avarage and I am not planning on living here by the time my daughter has to go to high school. Her teacher is nice enough and she seems to enjoy the class and has adjusted well to the new school.
Interesting way to look at the quality of schools. I would've thought that it is also important that a student is offered a challenging and relevant curriculum, given regular homework, and is learning and growing...

Old 12-05-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Interesting way to look at the quality of schools. I would've thought that it is also important that a student is offered a challenging and relevant curriculum, given regular homework, and is learning and growing...
Like i said, she has been attending this school for a total of three months, never had any standardized tests done. her homeworks is adequate, in my opinion, for a 3rd grader, but i am not a teacher. she completes her hw with minimal help. during her first parent teacher conference she had some "exceeding standards" (4) the rest was 2 and 3. that is personal to each child so I do not know how it will reflect on the standardized test until she actually takes one. So yea thats all I can tell about Rahway for now. Compared to what 3rd grades are learing in Poland (which is where I am from) this isnt very challenging. The socred for public schools in Rahway speak for themselves. And I knew that bying the house, thats why I will not stay here long and move in a few years, God willing.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Like I said, i moved here in July, she has been attending this school for a total of 3 months. She hasnt had any standardized tests, so far her homework is adequate , she does it with minimal or no help. I dont know if they are challenging enough, she gets 3s and 2s and some 4s (exceeding standards) and the teacher had only good things to say about her after knowing her for 2 months (first parent- teacher confereence) American standards are very much different from the standards I had when I attended school in Poland, so compared to other schools , like Linden, I guess its pretty much the same.
The test scores of children from Rahway public schools speak for themselves and I knew that before buying the house, this is why I am planning on moving within a few years.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:54 AM

1,707 posts, read 968,317 times
A good education also comes from the home, too. Just the fact that you attend the meetings and are concerned about your child's education will go a long way, for sure! I am saying this as a former teacher. Also, when she reaches HS, there are probably good private schools nearby that would also be a good option instead of moving.
By the way, having a teacher that cares is also important!

Old 01-16-2015, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,893 times
Hi.. I came from Jersey City, NJ my kids were in a charter school they were good in that school I loved their school and that staff were great and very involved and always sending emails if homework wasn't turned in or if kids were out calling to find out why they didn't go to school etc.. I did end up finding a house in Rahway, NJ that I fell in love with the neighborhood and neighbors are nice. My kids do miss their friends but they made new ones in their new schools I have two that go to Roosevelt Elementary 5th & 6th they are doing good in their classes the teachers are very nice. Teachers email or call me if and when there is any concerns which I like that they do that always good to know what's going on before it too late. and I have another kid that goes to Rahway Academy 8th grader I don't like the scores that the Rahway HS have but I'm going to enroll my kid there for now and see how it goes her first year there if it doesn't work out there I will transfer her out.. I have be checking other HS around the area and they have great scores but they are in Colonia, Clark but if I have to drive there very morning for my daughter to have a better education then hey I will do it. But like I always say you can be in the worse schools but it's up to the person if they want to succeed. I hope and pray that she doesn't have any problems in that HS and that she get the education she needs there.
I don't regret my move...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey