Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:11 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
It might be as funny as taking a bunch of hillbillies and plopping them smack down in the middle of Newark or Camden or Paterson or...I think you see the point.
They actually would do fine and probably turn those cities around for the good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 11:29 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Where did you live in NJ before? I had never heard of Lords Valley before and just looked it up. It looks quite nice and right off of 84/near Lake Wallenpaupack?
That is a really nice area. I love Lake Wallenpaupack.

Quote:
Didn't we just get done hating on Sussex and Warren Counties for being toothless a few threads ago?
Yup, but you didn't expect the stereotyping to end did you?

Old 03-06-2014, 11:00 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbidwell View Post
..... I hate being so far from my friends and family and everything that is familiar. ......I also thought I hated the Jersey Attitude, but I find that all the things I came up here to get away from are the very things I miss!
Given what you posted, you have no choice but to move back. Or be miserable.

Many people just can't adjust to a new evironment, they need the familiar.

Nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:29 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,734 times
This winter has been rough in much of the northeast...friends on Long Island are miserable with sore backs and parking problems. South Jersey pals were stuck and devastated by rare snowfalls.

Spring is coming 'soon' ... I think... hang in there.

It will get a lot better fast. Break out the shorts... ...go the The Shore.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:23 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
Are we actually talking about wife swapping here? That's nuts..lol

I'm in the same boat as you, Court8573...While I'm originally from North Jersey (which I'll always have love for!), I spent most of my time in suburban PA (Lower Bucks County) and found much to like about it. This area REALLY does need to get some semblance of a REAL transit system though. Bus routes are a joke.

My fiancée and I live in South Jersey and I'm very weary of it at this point. The people here all drive angry or those with $$$ have a sense of entitlement with their gigantic BMW and MB sedans and expect you to yield for them because they drive a $90k car.

She wants to stay because her family is here...I have NO family at ALL in South Jersey (kinda glad about that though, in a way..lol)

The people in the stores are ONLY nice because they are PAID to be nice, otherwise they're ignorant, obnoxious and immature. I've actually complained to the corporate departments of a few establishments about the deplorable behavior of some of their employees (Five Guys in Eagle Plaza in Voorhees literally fired one of their employees after I complained about the hood rats who work there and after they viewed the in-store video footage of what occurred during my visit there!)

I think my neighbors are aliens (<>..<>) zero sense of community here...sad.

Maybe it's just me, but people seem to be somewhat less rude and crude in certain areas of Bucks County, PA where my parents live. Hell, my parents and their neighbors actually care about each other and look out for one another...they even have block parties in the summer! If the fiancée continues to be adamant about staying here, I might have to consider "other options" (which I'd rather NOT do, if I can help it).

Hope to see this sign one day when I'm driving that U-Haul moving van!

You too?! I mean I'm also originally from Northern NJ and will have a love for. However the area for which I'd consider (the Fort Lee, NJ area) is out of reach financially as well as being subject of me possibly breathing in cancer causing toxic pollutants from Edgewater, NJ.

Now to South Jersey: I moved here with my immediate family back in the end of June 2012 and I've been shaking my head since as well as being physically sick in one way or another every single day since residing here. My allergies and sinus problems affect me every single day here (hence one of the reasons of wanted to move back to where I'm originally from in NNJ but can't) and the people on the roads here don't know how to drive and speed limits mean nothing! I've also seen the higher frequency of upfront kindness, however question the genuineness of such kindness in a majority of those people. Also I've never witnessed so much pettiness and lying right to ones face as I have residing here as well as common courtesy is lacking with many here. Also they don't know how to plow snow here leaving a layer of ice on the roads as well as kids getting off from school for a mere 2-3 inch snowfall even before the first flake has fallen.

I'm at a crossroads as I can't go back from which I came from for the reasons stated but need to go to an area not more than 100 plus miles from here in South Jersey so not to be too far from my immediate family here and as well such area will have to be much kinder to my sensitive severe allergies and sinus problems (that I never had full time where I came from) as well there needs to be job availability and not sky high housing like in the NNJ market.

To the OP: I know exactly how you feel because for 20 plus months I've felt the same besides my physical health.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:48 PM

414 posts, read 930,545 times
Default There's no "garden" in this state..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
You too?! I mean I'm also originally from Northern NJ and will have a love for. However the area for which I'd consider (the Fort Lee, NJ area) is out of reach financially as well as being subject of me possibly breathing in cancer causing toxic pollutants from Edgewater, NJ.

Now to South Jersey: I moved here with my immediate family back in the end of June 2012 and I've been shaking my head since as well as being physically sick in one way or another every single day since residing here. My allergies and sinus problems affect me every single day here (hence one of the reasons of wanted to move back to where I'm originally from in NNJ but can't) and the people on the roads here don't know how to drive and speed limits mean nothing! I've also seen the higher frequency of upfront kindness, however question the genuineness of such kindness in a majority of those people. Also I've never witnessed so much pettiness and lying right to ones face as I have residing here as well as common courtesy is lacking with many here. Also they don't know how to plow snow here leaving a layer of ice on the roads as well as kids getting off from school for a mere 2-3 inch snowfall even before the first flake has fallen.

I'm at a crossroads as I can't go back from which I came from for the reasons stated but need to go to an area not more than 100 plus miles from here in South Jersey so not to be too far from my immediate family here and as well such area will have to be much kinder to my sensitive severe allergies and sinus problems (that I never had full time where I came from) as well there needs to be job availability and not sky high housing like in the NNJ market.

To the OP: I know exactly how you feel because for 20 plus months I've felt the same besides my physical health.

Hmm? Kind of curious where in S. Jersey you are that you're feeling ill this frequently....guessing that you're further South than where I am (Voorhees/Gibbsboro area). The "illness" is more psychological in nature as I feel like I'm going mad sometimes living with these circus freaks...lol

Speed limits around here are just a "suggestion" and apparently not meant to be taken seriously. 295 should be renamed "The Garden State Autobahn" since nobody does 65 mph and you've got to be going more likely 80+ mph to keep from getting rear ended or plowed off the road by a gigantor Dodge Ram, luxury SUV or tractor trailer.

Whatever "upfront kindness" as you put it is guaranteed to be fake 99% of the time (so don't question it). There are at least 1% of the times where you find a genuinely nice person...but as rare as finding a unicorn or gazelle in your backyard.

I think of drinking heavily sometimes to ease the woes, but after seeing this, I realize I could be worse off...LOL:

Old 03-08-2014, 05:41 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
Hmm? Kind of curious where in S. Jersey you are that you're feeling ill this frequently....guessing that you're further South than where I am (Voorhees/Gibbsboro area). The "illness" is more psychological in nature as I feel like I'm going mad sometimes living with these circus freaks...lol

Speed limits around here are just a "suggestion" and apparently not meant to be taken seriously. 295 should be renamed "The Garden State Autobahn" since nobody does 65 mph and you've got to be going more likely 80+ mph to keep from getting rear ended or plowed off the road by a gigantor Dodge Ram, luxury SUV or tractor trailer.

Whatever "upfront kindness" as you put it is guaranteed to be fake 99% of the time (so don't question it). There are at least 1% of the times where you find a genuinely nice person...but as rare as finding a unicorn or gazelle in your backyard.

I think of drinking heavily sometimes to ease the woes, but after seeing this, I realize I could be worse off...LOL:
I'm in Sickerville - Gloucester Township.

And the physical sickness is real - just went to a doctor this past Tuesday and was shocked that I had an acute upper respiratory infection coupled with an acute ear infection. I've never been so ill for such a prolonged time of 20 plus months. If it's not an infection it's allergies, if it's not allergies it's an infection - at least in NNJ I got breaks from this, down here absolutely not. I haven't been able to blow my nose "clear" since day one here - just unbelievable!

Speed limits are followed by people with some sought of IQ, but many seem to lack that even when they see many police speed traps. I use a road that STRICTLY states "SLOW DOWN OR PAY" with a 25 mph speed limit - I've lost count on the tailgaters even after easily seeing a police speed trap on that road from a distance. Yeah 295 is almost a "drive at your own risk Autobahn".

IMO: I'll put that percentage of phony niceness at about 90%. I've easily found more genuine people up in the New York City Market areas of NJ. I miss the knowing where one stands especially the DIRECT, STRAIGHT and BLUNT which to many down here don't know how to handle it even if it was solely meant to help in kindness.

With my luck, if I drank one time and be out and about - I'd be caught and mind you I don't drink. lol!

I've spoken to many people who have moved to South Jersey from other areas - and they agree with both of us. "Welcome to South Jersey".

Time will tell what will happen as nothing is etched in stone yet but I would welcome a "physically healthier" change.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:00 PM

233 posts, read 225,564 times
Default Pa

lucky you. wished I had moved to PA many years ago.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Where did you live in NJ before? I had never heard of Lords Valley before and just looked it up. It looks quite nice and right off of 84/near Lake Wallenpaupack?
it's absolutely beautiful up there. but the OP is right, you have to drive a long way to do anything. If she can't find herself some local friends (there's a lot of transplants in that area, so it shouldn't be hard), she's gonna have a rough time. And there's local activities, but you have to like that stuff too.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:24 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbidwell View Post
We lived in Little Falls, where we were constantly flooded, so I really wanted to get away from that nightmare. It is very nice here and we are right off 84 in a beautiful community called Hemlock Farms. It's really not the area, it's just being so far from everyone, even though it is only 70 miles. There was always a lot of traffic and lots of people competing for parking places, spots in lines, etc. Plus, this winter has been horrendous and I've been feeling isolated and trapped in the house a lot. The cold and snow and ice has kept me from doing anything much in the community. By the way, everyone here has all their teeth!! Nobody that lives here is actually from here. The people who live here are mostly from NY and NJ. Hopefully, I will remember why I wanted to come here in the first place!!
hey, i live in West Orange, and my winter stunk because i was trapped in the house a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey