Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:40 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
It is about NJ smoking, but it is also about why people fear 2nd hand smoke, and 2nd hand smoke doesn't cause cancers but all the other things do, like blacktop and pressure treated lumber, oh, and did you know that in PA they actually put nasty stuff in our drinking water like arsnic, they actually sent around a pamphlet and said, it is a safe amount.

Oh, and now they are making wood out of plastics, so, is it any safer.

My point is, and I'm sorry, not trying to upset anyone, but if people really knew the major harmful things in our everyday lives, maybe they wouldn't complain about the little bit of 2nd hand smoke in their air....you think your air is clean, ? Wow, that is what upsets me, how unintelligent and misinformed most americans are today....honestly, please think about that....

They've actually got people going around trying to ban smoking all together b/c a whole lot of people out there believe cancers are caused by 2nd hand smoke and I saw a commercial on TV that said that...I mean, REALLY? That is what gripes me, we've come this far, we've made so much progress with smokers, that so many are quitting and they still want more...unbelievable.
i don't fear second hand smoke, i just don't like it. i don't think people fear public drinking. they just prefer to keep it out of the public. i also don't think people fear urine, but it's generally agreed that someone urinating at the local park is not nice. i don't fear loud noises, but i like my township's noise ordinances.

why does it have to be about fear?

My point is, many people these days do know the harmful things in our everyday lives, and are trying to reduce them. Cigarette smoke is just one of the many things. Maybe it's minor to you. Fine. I never said my air is clean. But with cigarette smoke in it, it's dirtier. Do you disagree with that? I've made great efforts to reduce chemicals and toxins in my house. And i make efforts to get legislators to do the same in our laws. As you said, you win some, you lose some. We won the smoking ban in places of recreation.

I don't think people want to ban smoking because 2nd hand smoke causes cancer. Maybe some do. But I think there are much better reasons to use if your goal is to ban smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Not out right ban them just put the same restrictions on them as regular cigarettes and tax them like cigarettes are taxed.

Lawd help us all if all the smokers ever quit because they are going to come a gunning to tax something else to make up for that lost revenue.

Of course there is COMPROMISE..like designating a certain section of a park or beach for smoking...but the radical anti smokers woud have a ***** with that as well
honestly, if it contained the smoke to that designated area, then fine. but it usually doesn't.

one thing is for sure...i'm glad i'm not addicted to something that makes me do it in places that inconvenience my neighbors. i mean, like i said, i enjoy the occasional cigar. i do it only when it won't bother those around me. it'd be nice if cig smokers were that way, but they (largely) are not. hence, the support for laws like this.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i don't fear second hand smoke, i just don't like it. i don't think people fear public drinking. they just prefer to keep it out of the public. i also don't think people fear urine, but it's generally agreed that someone urinating at the local park is not nice. i don't fear loud noises, but i like my township's noise ordinances.

why does it have to be about fear?

My point is, many people these days do know the harmful things in our everyday lives, and are trying to reduce them. Cigarette smoke is just one of the many things. Maybe it's minor to you. Fine. I never said my air is clean. But with cigarette smoke in it, it's dirtier. Do you disagree with that? I've made great efforts to reduce chemicals and toxins in my house. And i make efforts to get legislators to do the same in our laws. As you said, you win some, you lose some. We won the smoking ban in places of recreation.

I don't think people want to ban smoking because 2nd hand smoke causes cancer. Maybe some do. But I think there are much better reasons to use if your goal is to ban smoking.

Ok, here is one for you, and by the way, you made some good points, but like I said, we can't have it all...and I understand why you feel the way you do..

I have MS, and I cannot stand loud noise....I mean it really bothers me, so if I'm out in public and someone is loud, or a loud noise occurs, I get away from it....yanno?

and by the way, there are a whole lot of people that believe that 2nd hand smoke kills.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
I know that you can get them in different levels of nicotine and even without any. The hard part is kicking the habit of having something in your hand and pulling a drag from it. Doing something overtime for so long is a hard habit to get out of besides the nicotine itself.

Considering all the chemicals a real cig contains compared to the e-cig , i would assume its a healthier alternative . I love the fact that you can get them in different flavors , smoke them where you want, and no smell to them. Now as far as real in depth data of long term use etc , i have no clue about . I quit cold turkey for a few days , jumped on the e-cig , drink lots of water, and worked out like a beast. Then i finally noticed i was getting used to the e-cig not for its nicotine but for the hand and mouth motion. So i kicked the habit of the whole having a cig in my hand and puffing on it motion all together.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Ecigs have nicotine in them which you gradually reduce until none, the nicotine is the addicting part of cigarettes.
The Ecigs have no tar, the tar being the really bad part of cigarettes.

I know many people who quit using the Ecigs
i didn't realize you could control the nicotine levels in ecigs. that's a good thing then. i was just googling it and stumbled upon this:

Why e-cigarettes should be banned from minors

Old 03-21-2014, 09:52 AM

[quote=bradykp;33975984][quote=cremebrulee;33975645]

Georgia Cop Issues 800 Tickets To Drivers Texting At Red Lights - Slashdot

Quote:
how many times i go to the beach and someone is smoking? none, because i go to beaches that don't allow smoking.
ok, mr smartie pants....before no smoking on the beach? Was it all the time, or just a few times?

and good for that Cop, I didn't know? That is encouraging!
Can someone please show that cop my route home?

Old 03-21-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
I know that you can get them in different levels of nicotine and even without any. The hard part is kicking the habit of having something in your hand and pulling a drag from it. Doing something overtime for so long is a hard habit to get out of besides the nicotine itself.

Considering all the chemicals a real cig contains compared to the e-cig , i would assume its a healthier alternative . I love the fact that you can get them in different flavors , smoke them where you want, and no smell to them. Now as far as real in depth data of long term use etc , i have no clue about . I quit cold turkey for a few days , jumped on the e-cig , drink lots of water, and worked out like a beast. Then i finally noticed i was getting used to the e-cig not for its nicotine but for the hand and mouth motion. So i kicked the habit of the whole having a cig in my hand and puffing on it motion all together.
oh i know. my grandmother quit by chewing gum. not nicotine gum, just gum. she still needed the habit. there's quitting the addicition, and quitting the habit. i have some friends who really have struggled quitting. but my one friend who has struggled has never tried cold turkey. all those quitting aids are nice if they work, but the problem is, they don't work as well as just quitting.

i would also assume it's a healthier alternative, but i'd rather them prove it.

oh....and congrats on quitting. i know how hard it is via my friends!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
bradykp oh i know. my grandmother quit by chewing gum. not nicotine gum, just gum. she still needed the habit. there's quitting the addicition, and quitting the habit. i have some friends who really have struggled quitting. but my one friend who has struggled has never tried cold turkey. all those quitting aids are nice if they work, but the problem is, they don't work as well as just quitting.
sorry but you can't make that statement, everyone is different, no two people are alike, as I said before, I know 3 people that quit with the electronic cig, and several people that quit on Chantex? Others on the patch, etc.....so please don't make general statements.....

everyone of us is different....me especially

Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Ok, here is one for you, and by the way, you made some good points, but like I said, we can't have it all...and I understand why you feel the way you do..

I have MS, and I cannot stand loud noise....I mean it really bothers me, so if I'm out in public and someone is loud, or a loud noise occurs, I get away from it....yanno?

and by the way, there are a whole lot of people that believe that 2nd hand smoke kills.
honestly, with something like your scenario, you can easily ask and not be made to feel uncomfortable. that's not something i would have known without someone telling me. but smoking bothers people. smokers know that without being asked.

also, loud noises are generally controlled in most places.

as for a whole lot of people who believe 2nd hand smoke kills, i think, for the most part, you'd find that people realize it takes time. that's why second hand smoke was a topic for banning smoking in office buildings and now in bars and restaurants.

second hand smoke isn't just smoke exhaled from the smoker though. when you burn a cig, the smoker inhales through a filter, while the person standing nearby inhales without a filter. there are > 7,000 chemicals in a cigarette. 100s are toxins, and there are many related to cancer. as far as the CDC is concerned, 2nd hand smoke is an indoor issue, not an outdoor issue.

I'm sure politicians will drum up 2nd hand smoke when trying to pass a law like this one, but that's not the reason people i know cite. we just don't like the smoke. and we don't feel like we should be exposed to it in a public, populous, place like a beach or a park.

and it just so happens, pretty much all the politicians in the state of NJ agree with us.

you said you live in DE, right? I'm not sure if all DE beaches banned it, but I know all the ones I've been to do.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:05 AM

[quote=cremebrulee;33976265][quote=bradykp;33975984]
Quote:

Georgia Cop Issues 800 Tickets To Drivers Texting At Red Lights - Slashdot

ok, mr smartie pants....before no smoking on the beach? Was it all the time, or just a few times?

and good for that Cop, I didn't know? That is encouraging!
Can someone please show that cop my route home?
i'm 32. for as long as i can remember, the beaches we go to didn't allow smoking on the beach. NJ beaches are far more crowded than the ones I have been going to.

This summer, my wife and i went with her brother's family and her parents to the Outer Banks. there were not a lot of people on the beach, not in comparison to DE or NJ, but we smelled smoke every day we were down there. Guess where I won't be going? It was beautiful down there. Got a lot more house for our money. the Drive was kinda crappy, but the the most negative thing about my trip was that we could smell smoke every day down at the beach. So, no thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: