Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:09 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah07080 View Post
I am saying the market was ridiculous for the average person to own a home.
Prices need and will bottom out ..

Not all sub primers were scammers but I will say they were very greedy don't hang your hat where your hand can't reach...

Buying a house in the 50's selling over 30 yrs later is one thing but buying in 2002 and expecting 5 -10 time more in 2007 is bloody ridiculous

I wonder what those with the big line of equity credit that went on the fancy vacation and just had to have that 4th car added to the collection are doing now .......
I need clarification. When you say 'sub primers' are you referring to the buyers, or the lenders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 AM

222 posts, read 1,025,690 times
Quote:
But there is a difference. Many buyers are out there looking for people who have no choice but to sell, whether it be to avoid foreclosure, moving for work reasons, or because they are building somewhere else. Perhaps taking advantage of people in this position IS just business, doesn't make it any less predatory.
I think many buyers in NJ are simply looking for an affordable home, instead of the crappy apartment or condo they are living in. I wouldn't call that predatory.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:33 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Sure you can buy a McMansion in NC for 1/4 the price of NJ and your next door neighbor just parked a new double wide right in your line of site.
You should really broaden your horizons a bit- your double-wide comment is akin to all the comments people make about NJ being full of f-bomb-spouting guidos and oil refineries- and just as far from the truth.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:01 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You should really broaden your horizons a bit- your double-wide comment is akin to all the comments people make about NJ being full of f-bomb-spouting guidos and oil refineries- and just as far from the truth.
Damn right. Who wants to park their double-wide next to some damn yankee?

(Couldnt resist.)

Old 12-06-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Damn right. Who wants to park their double-wide next to some damn yankee?

(Couldnt resist.)
Exactly.........

Old 12-06-2007, 12:12 PM

604 posts, read 2,913,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Sorry but I have visited NC many times and what I said holds true in many areas. Without building zoning this is what you get.

I live in Somerset county, Guido central, but no oil refineries that I know of.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Sorry but I have visited NC many times and what I said holds true in many areas. Without building zoning this is what you get.

I live in Somerset county, Guido central, but no oil refineries that I know of.
But there are many areas of NC that don't fit your stereotype as well, just as there are areas in NJ that fit the guido/oil refinery stereotype.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:18 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
was it ok for sellers to yank buyers' chains with bidding wars 5 years ago and prey on their emotions? why is it that nowadays it's "screw buyers" when the sellers were *literally* screwing buyers for so long?
You misunderstand, if you believe that somehow sellers were "yanking buyers chains". Sellers can ask for whatever price they want to ask, but it's ALWAYS the Buyer that determines the value of a house. Those were BUYERS outbidding each other, paying 5, 10, sometimes 20% above the sellers asking price. Sellers said, "You an have my house if you pay me $X." And when one buyer said "OK, here's $X, the guy in line behind him said "Wait, don't sell it to him for $X, I'll pay you $(10% over X)."
Sellers can never screw buyers when it comes to price. Buyers always have to option to not purchase the house. (Indeed, many buyers are excercising that option as we speak.) And is it somehow wrong for a seller to take every penny of what someone is willing to pay for their house? Most people who sold homes during these last 8 or 10 boom years would have sold their homes at much lower prices. Because they had decided it was time to move, wheter to a bigger house, a better neighborhood, a different school district, or any of a thousand other reasons. But they had no reason to take less, becasue buyers were knocking each other over for the right to pay more for the house.
And by the way, it's THOSE BUYERS who are very much out in front now, crying that they paid too much, or didn't expect teh interest rate to go so high. Aren't THEY more to blame than the people who simply took the money that was offered for their property?

Old 12-06-2007, 01:28 PM

202 posts, read 992,765 times
It is painful to read threads like this where people that don't even understand the simple concept of the time value of money spout off nonsense like "house prices always go up" and then finish with more nonsense about "evil buyers trying to screw sellers".

The market is what it is. It was driven by greed and stupidity and now the bubble is bursting. Any year where your house value increase doesn't match the rise in inflation is actually a LOSS, in inflation-adjusted terms.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:37 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
And by the way, it's THOSE BUYERS who are very much out in front now, crying that they paid too much, or didn't expect teh interest rate to go so high. Aren't THEY more to blame than the people who simply took the money that was offered for their property?
Amen. And I am pretty pissed off right now about the decision made by the president to convert these ARMs to fixed rate mortgages. That penalizes someone such as myself who opted for a conventional 30 year fixed loan, took my difference and put my money into a mutual fund, whose value is partiallly determined by these mortgage companies, who are now essentially getting the $h*t end of the stick as a result of this decision. Where does government interference end? Anyone who is capable of having a job, family, etc, had to know prior from entering into such an agreement (ARM rate) what the risks were. These folks are absolutely more to blame, with a small assist from Washington D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey