Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:08 PM

145 posts, read 314,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
I agree. I'd certainly put A&P on this list before Stop and Shop.

But it may be a function of who visits what stores. Stop and Shop seems to often be in nicer areas where they look bad compared to a Kings, Wegmans, etc.
I agree with your assessment on A&P. The one that was near me looked like a dump. The other one that was somewhat close to me was a new building, but the food quality (meat and produce) wasn't anything special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Pathmark is a dump. It looks like they hire people straight outta halfway houses.

Shop-Rite is consistently better and always crowded with people.

Stop & Shop's somewhere in between.
Shop Rite is interesting. I worked at both Shop Rite and Stop and Shop when I was in high school. My Shop Rite was clean (the store was built in 1999 I think) but it was very poorly run. The produce isn't very fresh, the meat selection is nothing special, and lot of the employees at mine were pretty lazy. However, a different Shop Rite that have been to a few times in Flemington, is much better run and actually has quality food. It's not even a World Class Shop Rite (the two story ones that all look the same) either. I guess it depends on who is running/owns that particular store and not necessarily a corporate thing.

I don't even think I can blame this on the union. Stop and Shop also had a union and the employees seemed to be much more motivated and helpful.

The Stop and Shop I worked at had much better quality of produce and meats. They also had better cold cuts by carrying Boar's Head. But I agree with everyone else that the prices are nothing to write home about. It's probably why the one I worked at did not have as many registers as the Shop Rite.

But if you want the best all around grocery store, I think it has to be Wegmans. Very helpful workers, very good quality produce and meats. Their prepared foods are better, there's a liquor store attached, and the prices are also pretty fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 08:10 PM

300 posts, read 913,669 times
These lists are pathetic, common walmart is number one, how chiquita banana at Walmart is worse than that at Whole foods ? Of course nobody goes to walmart for grocery specific but it is very convenient to pick up some brand name food items while you are there. Nowadays it is fashion to lament over walmart for no reason. The fact is no matter how much people hate google or walmart, hypocrites keep using it.
Now back to topic, I think cleanliness of store depends completely on how old the store is. Shoprite is one of the best thing NJ has to offer are world class at some the location they opened recently North Brunswick, East Windsor but are sub quality at East brunswick, marlboro etc because stores were built before 30 years.
Lot of newer stop and shop are very clean, well organized. Of course they are no where with price compared to shoprite.
Now Acme, pathmark, A&P sucks in all respect I agree.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Pathmark is a dump. It looks like they hire people straight outta halfway houses.

Shop-Rite is consistently better and always crowded with people.

Stop & Shop's somewhere in between.
I find it interesting that in hazlet, a foodtown went out of business and a shoprite took its place. so it is a location that has proven to have failed with foodtown. its always busy now that shoprite is there. they are better and people seem to be very aware of that. I believe shoprites are owned by different groups. the ones I have been to around here, have been saker so im guessing they are good at running supermarkets.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:38 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Acme varies a lot by the particular location. The one where I used to live in Collegeville, PA was great. The smaller ones in more crowded areas were crappy. I find it hard to believe Price Chopper is on this list; every one I've been to (in upstate NY) is far and away better than anything we have around here. Less crowded, more selection, cleaner, lower prices. Safeway I've always found to be a decent store too, but they're on their way out of business (bought by Cerberus, which owns a bunch of others, including Acme)

Shop Rite is another one which varies a lot by the location. Most of them around here are terrible, some are just moderately lousy. But somehow it didn't make the list.
Yeah I agree. I don't think I've ever been to a decent shop rite in my life. Stop and Shop and Shaw's are just overpriced, hence why I think they made the list. Never have I been to one that was straight dirty or indecent.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:48 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Yeah I agree. I don't think I've ever been to a decent shop rite in my life. Stop and Shop and Shaw's are just overpriced, hence why I think they made the list. Never have I been to one that was straight dirty or indecent.
You left before they opened the new Shop Rite on Hanover Ave. by Mennan arena. Quite nice.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:30 PM

777 posts, read 2,379,770 times
I really like my local Stop & Shop in Emerson. Much better store than my local Shop Rite. I found some items to be cheaper at Stop & Shop than Shop Rite and vice versa. The Shop Rite by me seems antiquated and it takes forever to check out, no matter what time of day you go. Love the self scanner and bag as you go at Stop & Shop.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:23 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,923 times
I personally love my Stop & Shop in Carlstadt. The Shop Rite in Lyndhurst is a friggen mess and I only stop in if I need some odds and ends when stopping at Patsy's Liquors for an A+ craft beer selection. Other than that, Stop & Shop does me right here much as it did in Teaneck.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:01 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,932,541 times
We don't have any of the three in my neck of the woods. We only have Shop Rite, Weis and A&P. A&P sucks IMO. I love Shop Rite though, lots of good bargains there and their Shop Rite brand stuff is pretty decent. Growing up in Essex County, my mother always went to Pathmark.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:57 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,430 times
I wonder why in such an affluent area we put up with such crummy supermarkets. Down south even so-so areas have nice supermarkets. Some of our cities don't have one.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:22 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,472 times
We have some wonderful food stores within 30 minutes: Acme (clean, very nice), new Shoprites (also clean and nice), Wegmans, Trader Joes, and a couple of Thriftways (the one closest to me is wonderful)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey