Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:46 PM

12 posts, read 35,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
https://www.hopstop.com/

and google maps will give you door to door instructions from your home.

i think the above posters were not trying to be rude, but more point you in the right direction to get the info your looking for. Good luck.
Thank you for your help! Regardless of if the others were trying to be rude or not, they sure came off that way... I think you managed to point me in the right direction without being so harsh, and I really do thank you for that. All the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 05:06 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaclyn19 View Post
wow. thank you so much. why bother to respond at all, honestly? like i said. i'm new here; God forbid you ever move somewhere new, and ask for a bit of help. i was hoping for some basic/general info; so i felt that i didn't need to be too specific. i've been on the nj transit site today, and it wasn't working for me. many of the links don't work. it's slow to function. i wasn't making that up... i don't know why i would. i wasn't hoping for anybody else to do my research for me...

for anybody else who might respond in a helpful manner: kinnelon is right off of rt23 near butler, riverdale, wayne, etc. I just wanted some basic info about the bus stops along rt23 south. Thanks to anybody who can help!
Jaclyn19

One of the first things you need to understand and accept about life here in NJ, is that we tend to be brutally honest and direct, we are not trying to be rude. I am sorry you percieve MQ's response as rude, she simply does not have the time nor desire to spoon feed. I do have concerns that since you are having trouble dealing with navigating the NJ transit website and finding your own way to your work location in the city,(the location of which you did not bother to include in your post) then this area may not be for you. I am in no way saying this to be mean, but if you intend on trying to make it here, you are seriously going to need to grow up, toughen up, put your big girl panties on, and learn to deal with the realities of adult life. Or life in the metro NYC area is going to eat you alive. Blaming others who point out that your post omitted much vital information is immature and churlish at best. Your initial post stated you had "no clue how the bus/trains work" which is contrary to your statement above where you said, "I just wanted some basic info about the bus stops along rt23 south." If your initial post had said the latter, rather then what it did say, you'll have received a much different response. Clarity and specificity is crucial on a forum in order to get the desired information.

Now, on to assist you with the NJ Transit site, please go here

New Jersey Transit

Input the specifics asked for regarding where your trip begins and where it ends and the site will give you several options. Please note that when you enter Kinnelon as the starting point (and NYC Penn as the destination) the trip planner will give you 10 different options via area train stations as well as area bus stops and park and ride locations. As most likely your office is not located at NYC Penn, you'll also have to consult the NYC subway and bus maps to find the best route to your actual work location.

I also highly recommend that you download the smartphone apps for bus and train schedules, you can find a great list of the best apps out there (and many are totally FREE to DL) here 11 Best Transit Apps for MTA Riders and Commuters in NYC and Beyond It is an invaluable tool for all to have in order to navigate your way around the area.

When posting to this forum, the more complete info you provide, with specifics, the better, and more useful the responses you get will be.

KoalaNJ
who is now taking off her "mother's tough love" hat.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Jaclyn19

One of the first things you need to understand and accept about life here in NJ, is that we tend to be brutally honest and direct, we are not trying to be rude. I am sorry you percieve MQ's response as rude, she simply does not have the time nor desire to spoon feed. I do have concerns that since you are having trouble dealing with navigating the NJ transit website and finding your own way to your work location in the city,(the location of which you did not bother to include in your post) then this area may not be for you. I am in no way saying this to be mean, but if you intend on trying to make it here, you are seriously going to need to grow up, toughen up, put your big girl panties on, and learn to deal with the realities of adult life. Or life in the metro NYC area is going to eat you alive. Blaming others who point out that your post omitted much vital information is immature and churlish at best. Your initial post stated you had "no clue how the bus/trains work" which is contrary to your statement above where you said, "I just wanted some basic info about the bus stops along rt23 south." If your initial post had said the latter, rather then what it did say, you'll have received a much different response. Clarity and specificity is crucial on a forum in order to get the desired information.

Now, on to assist you with the NJ Transit site, please go here

New Jersey Transit

Input the specifics asked for regarding where your trip begins and where it ends and the site will give you several options. Please note that when you enter Kinnelon as the starting point (and NYC Penn as the destination) the trip planner will give you 10 different options via area train stations as well as area bus stops and park and ride locations. As most likely your office is not located at NYC Penn, you'll also have to consult the NYC subway and bus maps to find the best route to your actual work location.

I also highly recommend that you download the smartphone apps for bus and train schedules, you can find a great list of the best apps out there (and many are totally FREE to DL) here 11 Best Transit Apps for MTA Riders and Commuters in NYC and Beyond It is an invaluable tool for all to have in order to navigate your way around the area.

When posting to this forum, the more complete info you provide, with specifics, the better, and more useful the responses you get will be.

KoalaNJ
who is now taking off her "mother's tough love" hat.
I get that in NJ people are going to be more direct... actually, no. I'm not going to lump all NJ people together because I'll say, while I've been here, I've met some incredibly helpful, kind, and positive people, and that would be discrediting those who've been so open and welcoming to me. There was no reason to be rude, and no, I'm not "interpreting" the comments as rude; they just were plain rude, and if you go to any other part of the country you'd realize that very quickly. If she did not feel like "spoon-feeding" me, then she didn't need to respond to my post at all. She answered this thread on her own time, of her own free will; she obviously had plenty of time to write a paragraph criticizing my original post. Her comments were not helpful whatsoever. And guess what, I'm already here ("this area may not be for you") and I'm trying to learn and adapt as best as I can. I'm not from a big city or an urban area; public transportation is a completely foreign concept.You're right about my second response being more specific; it was my mistake for not expressing exactly what I meant in my first post, as has been pointed out by many of you at this point. I have my "big girl panties" on, thank you very much, and I deal with the realities of adult life every day; those realities include asking for help when I need it. As for your "assistance," I've already received a few helpful posts that didn't have a lecture preceding them. My advice for you is to stop being the stereotype that is NJ and try being helpful and empathetic human being.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:53 PM

595 posts, read 677,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
MQ gives some of the most consitently good advice on this board. And she gave a good dose of reality in this case too. The njtransit site has alwasys worked fine in my experience too. And giving landmarks such as RiteAid for a highway that passes through many towns is simply useless. She also asked for other key info that was missing that is needed to give the best guidance.

I'd rather have her tough love and hopefully getting more details vs. a dozen replies that are guessing at what OP needs.
Respectfully, I disagree. Regardless of MQ's history, the first paragraph was simply a mean spirited response to someone's very first post. There is a world of difference between tough love and simply being rude. Especially considering the poster told us they were new to the area. Our poster admitted they struggled with the website. No need to accuse them of a lame excuse. I have had many issues with that website. It is not intuitive and it does have issues from time to time.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:46 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaclyn19 View Post
I get that in NJ people are going to be more direct... actually, no. I'm not going to lump all NJ people together because I'll say, while I've been here, I've met some incredibly helpful, kind, and positive people, and that would be discrediting those who've been so open and welcoming to me. There was no reason to be rude, and no, I'm not "interpreting" the comments as rude; they just were plain rude, and if you go to any other part of the country you'd realize that very quickly. If she did not feel like "spoon-feeding" me, then she didn't need to respond to my post at all. She answered this thread on her own time, of her own free will; she obviously had plenty of time to write a paragraph criticizing my original post. Her comments were not helpful whatsoever. And guess what, I'm already here ("this area may not be for you") and I'm trying to learn and adapt as best as I can. I'm not from a big city or an urban area; public transportation is a completely foreign concept.You're right about my second response being more specific; it was my mistake for not expressing exactly what I meant in my first post, as has been pointed out by many of you at this point. I have my "big girl panties" on, thank you very much, and I deal with the realities of adult life every day; those realities include asking for help when I need it. As for your "assistance," I've already received a few helpful posts that didn't have a lecture preceding them. My advice for you is to stop being the stereotype that is NJ and try being helpful and empathetic human being.
Right on! I'm from NJ and have become pretty adept with trains, but know very little about buses. People like you or me come to this site for help with this sort of thing all the time. Sure you could have provided more info, but posters could have requested it more pleasantly.

On a positive side note...congrats on landing a job in the city!

Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
That's funny, because I found the first post to be rude. "I want someone else to look everything up for me and I'm going to try to pass myself off as cute." Sorry, I reacted because I have a low tolerance for people pretending to be dumb so that they can get others to do things for them. Children can read timetables. It's a chart. Yes, there can be problems with a website sometimes, but as part of a series of giggly excuses, it just didn't sound believable.

"Yes, I've tried reading schedules... they're confusing. Plus, the NJ Transit website never seems to be functioning correctly; it's seriously no help at all. Basically, I would appreciate it if someone would spell it out, in the most basic of ways, the best way to commute."

Those are the exact words posted. Why not just ask, "Hey, I'm new to the area and I want to catch a bus to the city--anyone know which buses run down 23?"

Anyway, no, it didn't take me any time to write the paragraph. I write very fast. Did I react too quickly? Yep. Probably shouldn't have answered at all, since I don't know squat about the buses on 23, but I see someone who DOES know gave quite the comprehensive answer, and reps to him/her. MaverickDD may become the official public transportation information agent on the NJ forum!

Anyway, as the T-shirt says: Welcome to NJ, where the weak are killed and eaten.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:29 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
I used to live up that way and when I try to visualize Kinnelon and trains, that kind of makes me laugh. The closest train station I can think of is in Newfoundland and the only way I remember that one is old steam locomotives and some rusty freight cars, sort of a touristy thing but you aren't going anywhere any decade soon.
I think it's mostly buses on Rt 23 until you get down by Wayne where you have real trains running every day.

There is another park and ride lot on Old Rt 23 in Newfoundland, the road that spurs off and rejoins 23.

Years ago I used to live and work up that way, these days it seems to feel like half way to the North Pole, lol.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's funny, because I found the first post to be rude. "I want someone else to look everything up for me and I'm going to try to pass myself off as cute." Sorry, I reacted because I have a low tolerance for people pretending to be dumb so that they can get others to do things for them. Children can read timetables. It's a chart. Yes, there can be problems with a website sometimes, but as part of a series of giggly excuses, it just didn't sound believable.

"Yes, I've tried reading schedules... they're confusing. Plus, the NJ Transit website never seems to be functioning correctly; it's seriously no help at all. Basically, I would appreciate it if someone would spell it out, in the most basic of ways, the best way to commute."

Those are the exact words posted. Why not just ask, "Hey, I'm new to the area and I want to catch a bus to the city--anyone know which buses run down 23?"

Anyway, no, it didn't take me any time to write the paragraph. I write very fast. Did I react too quickly? Yep. Probably shouldn't have answered at all, since I don't know squat about the buses on 23, but I see someone who DOES know gave quite the comprehensive answer, and reps to him/her. MaverickDD may become the official public transportation information agent on the NJ forum!

Anyway, as the T-shirt says: Welcome to NJ, where the weak are killed and eaten.
Awww, that's a cute slogan. I'm glad you're proud of that

I don't think asking for help and being weak are synonymous. But, yeah, I was basically saying "hey i'm new to the area, please help." Sorry I didn't ask in the exact way you thought was appropriate. And yes, I did ask for someone to spell it out for me because I had no clue. That is what a large number of these forums are for! That's why I got on here to ask! I don't understand why you were so inclined to respond to me in such a way.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
Right on! I'm from NJ and have become pretty adept with trains, but know very little about buses. People like you or me come to this site for help with this sort of thing all the time. Sure you could have provided more info, but posters could have requested it more pleasantly.

On a positive side note...congrats on landing a job in the city!
exactly! that's basically what this site is for, right? i've always been able to find such helpful information on city-data. this was the first time i posted anything, and i wasn't quite expecting the first comment i got, but i'm thankful for positive feedback such as yours

Old 03-31-2014, 09:13 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Your first day on the internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey