Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 05:38 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrownbear14 View Post
Heroin... what a dirty drug. If you're a teenager especially one who is capable of exercising common sense and you use heroin then you deserve to OD. How many unproductive, stupid people can we take in the world. This is the titanic and we are SINKING!
Sometimes culling of the herd is needed. It would be great to ship some people off to some island with no way off and leave them to their own devices. I'm not just talking about drug addicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 05:56 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
A rather lengthy piece from Rolling Stone, but well worth the read. It's mostly about Vermont, but I think it is an enlightening article and its message can be applied to almost anywhere in the country.

The New Face of Heroin: The Epidemic That's Ripping Vermont Apart | Culture News | Rolling Stone

It articulates well the point I was trying to make earlier, which is that you can complain all you want about your money being spent on a "trivial" problem, when the ironic thing is that it is so much more of a waste of money to keep these people locked up than it is to focus on rehabilitation and outreach.
Can't rep you again..thanks for posting that link. Very enlightening

Old 04-04-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrownbear14 View Post
Heroin... what a dirty drug. If you're a teenager especially one who is capable of exercising common sense and you use heroin then you deserve to OD. How many unproductive, stupid people can we take in the world. This is the titanic and we are SINKING!
That's the issue, most teens totally lack common sense, they think they are invincible

Old 04-04-2014, 07:35 AM

934 posts, read 1,061,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Can't rep you again..thanks for posting that link. Very enlightening
No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
That's the issue, most teens totally lack common sense, they think they are invincible
Exactly. The truth is that your brain isn't completely developed until you're 25. And the part that remains underdeveloped when you are a teenager is the part that controls sound judgement and common sense, which is why teenagers make a disproportionally large amount of terrible decisions (that coupled with hormones). That is the rationale for the drinking age being 21 (not saying I agree or disagree, but that's the logic).

To say someone "deserves to OD" is pretty heartless and inhumane, in my opinion. We are humans and we are flawed. And I hate to break it to you, but we ALL have addictive personalities. Next time someone puts that big piece of chocolate cake in front of you, try not to eat it and see how well you do. Now multiply that by about a million and that's how an addict feels. Ever had your heart broken? Ever had someone you love who was part of your life for so long suddenly not be there anymore and then you feel empty inside without them? Multiply that by about a million and that's how an addict feels. We're all dependent on something or another and very few of us have zero vices. I believe very strongly in showing people love and understanding before we show them judgement. You have no idea what a person has been through and what their life experiences are. No one "deserves to OD" and no addict is proud of their situation.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:43 AM

934 posts, read 1,061,677 times
For anyone that's interested in the psyche of addiction, I strongly suggest you read "The Heroin Diaries." It's a memoir written by Nikki Sixx (the bassist of Motley Crue) where he shares his diary from the year he was completely addicted to heroin alongside with current commentary from him and others that knew him at the time. It's a pretty terrifying read, but also an extremely eye-opening one.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:48 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
No problem!

Exactly. The truth is that your brain isn't completely developed until you're 25. And the part that remains underdeveloped when you are a teenager is the part that controls sound judgement and common sense, which is why teenagers make a disproportionally large amount of terrible decisions (that coupled with hormones). That is the rationale for the drinking age being 21 (not saying I agree or disagree, but that's the logic).

To say someone "deserves to OD" is pretty heartless and inhumane, in my opinion. We are humans and we are flawed. And I hate to break it to you, but we ALL have addictive personalities. Next time someone puts that big piece of chocolate cake in front of you, try not to eat it and see how well you do. Now multiply that by about a million and that's how an addict feels. Ever had your heart broken? Ever had someone you love who was part of your life for so long suddenly not be there anymore and then you feel empty inside without them? Multiply that by about a million and that's how an addict feels. We're all dependent on something or another and very few of us have zero vices. I believe very strongly in showing people love and understanding before we show them judgement. You have no idea what a person has been through and what their life experiences are. No one "deserves to OD" and no addict is proud of their situation.
I don't think anyone deserves to OD but there has to be some checks and balance in our population equation. We do our best to save those that wants to be saved and that should be enough. Intervention usually results in resistance which in this case are all those drug awareness programs that no user cares about. The only thing left is hopefully users have family and friends that can intervene and give them intervention without public assistance. However as we all know, most people do not want their love ones to know their private habits.

My honest opinion is that there is no solution to this until enough people die and another generation can witness this event is aware of the drugs effects and stays away.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:08 AM

22 posts, read 94,002 times
And that brings me back to what i originally said. THIS IS THE TITANIC AND WE ARE SINKING......
You have to want to change. YOU! Not your mother, father, sister school teacher, etc. YOU! There are many positive influences in our world. Find someone who lives a positive life and copy them. There is an abundance of information about any form of addiction. It's about exercising common sense. Thinking 10+ years ahead about the long term effects of your actions. If it's inhumane to say I could careless about the "OD'ing" in our society then I own it. We've all had our setbacks in life, but people with extreme habits like drugs are just selfish. People with debilitating habits have no consideration or understanding for the people who care about them and how their behavior and lifestyle effects those around them. Then again how could we come down on teenagers for doing this crap when we have adults that can handle the wind blowing the wrong way and need to pop a xanax to wake up in the morning. WE ARE SINKING!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:15 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't think anyone deserves to OD but there has to be some checks and balance in our population equation. We do our best to save those that wants to be saved and that should be enough. Intervention usually results in resistance which in this case are all those drug awareness programs that no user cares about. The only thing left is hopefully users have family and friends that can intervene and give them intervention without public assistance. However as we all know, most people do not want their love ones to know their private habits.

My honest opinion is that there is no solution to this until enough people die and another generation can witness this event is aware of the drugs effects and stays away.
And we thought AIDS would cure teh gays. Reagan never mentioned the disease but Nancy had a big Ol War on Drugs. It's been a total failure.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:27 AM

it's also sad many people become addicted to legally prescribed pain killers and when they can no longer get them they start using heroin because on the street it's cheaper than illegal legal drugs.Sometimes it's not that the person set out to become addicted to drugs it's related to the drugs that were legally prescibed to them, everyone trusts their doctor right?

Many addictions out there..smoking, drinking,gambling, these are all legal vices but still hard for the people addicted to them to give it up.

Opiate addiction is one of the hardest to shake, it becomes a life long struggle. Just look at the actor Phillip Hoffman, he was clean for how many years???

Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
It articulates well the point I was trying to make earlier, which is that you can complain all you want about your money being spent on a "trivial" problem, when the ironic thing is that it is so much more of a waste of money to keep these people locked up than it is to focus on rehabilitation and outreach.
I think its a waste to lock them up and I think its a waste to pay to rehabilitate them. its not one or the other for me. its neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey