Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:11 PM

98 posts, read 267,919 times

Advertisements

Talking for two minutes on your cell phone is distracted driving. I don't care if you have eyes in the back of your head. YOU CANNOT BE COMPLETELY AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS--even a "quick" 2 minute phone call. Why is it that so many people have a plethora of excuses, but can't admit they're wrong? Next time you run over a pedestrian, or rear end someone, make sure you use that excuse, and present your PBA cards. The officer did the right thing by taking those cards from you--he took away your "get out jail for free" cards, that WERE NOT yours. Don't worry about the idiots driving fast or behaving like idiots--their stupid actions will catch up with them.

No wonder insurance rates are out of control in NJ: too many people who can't follow the rules of driving, and the "oh no, not me, it must be someone else" mentality.

Now grow yourself a pair, pay the fine, and your insurance surcharges. No one ordered you to speak on your cell phone while driving. Hire a lawyer, heck, hire a plethora of attorneys, you'll just pay more in the end. If "you think" you did was wrong, well, what you did was wrong. New Jersey has THE dumbest people on the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 05:28 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,495,924 times
I thought these cell phone tickets did not have any points nor affect your insurance but since I never got one I'm not sure. First of all look up the statute number and on the state website see if its a moving deal with points or not. If its 2 points I wouldn't worry too much unless you have other problems, meaning other points. You still might want to keep it zero points,,,up to you.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:53 PM

50,100 posts, read 35,741,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I thought these cell phone tickets did not have any points nor affect your insurance but since I never got one I'm not sure. First of all look up the statute number and on the state website see if its a moving deal with points or not. If its 2 points I wouldn't worry too much unless you have other problems, meaning other points. You still might want to keep it zero points,,,up to you.
^^^This. There are no points associated with it, and your insurance company probably won't even know. It's like a parking ticket, fine only. Just pay it and don't worry about it.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:59 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,495,924 times
Yeah as long as the tick is for 39:4-97.3. NJ Cell Phone Law

39:4-97.3 Use of wireless telephone, electronic communication device in moving vehicle; definitions; enforcement.

Then
d.A person who violates this section shall be fined $100.

e.No motor vehicle points or automobile insurance eligibility points pursuant to section 26 of P.L.1990, c.8 (C.17:33B-14) shall be assessed for this offense.

So just a money grab unless something has been legally updated past this.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:53 PM

414 posts, read 924,088 times
+1 As far as this being just a "money grab" by the local PD. IMO, I think the end result of this will be the same as the $100 tickets given out for going through a red light and getting nabbed by the red light cameras.

Just pay up, no points assessed and more than likely no impact on your insurance.

Please drive safe and make sure your cell is connected to your Bluetooth in the car via the speaker or headset before you even shift out of Park

Old 04-08-2014, 07:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,459,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler77 View Post
Talking for two minutes on your cell phone is distracted driving. I don't care if you have eyes in the back of your head. YOU CANNOT BE COMPLETELY AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS--even a "quick" 2 minute phone call. Why is it that so many people have a plethora of excuses, but can't admit they're wrong?
because they aren't wrong. there is nothing wrong with talking on a cell phone. these self righteous nutballs are really something.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:25 PM

87,960 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
On a recent trip to Florida it seems signs are up most of the way on I-95 warning motorists to pull over to use their phones in fact in some areas of upstate NY rest areas are now called text areas..
I saw that last weekend on the way to Albany. I don't think they were there last time I went up.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,595,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by practicalposts View Post
I know I cant win, just getting opinion of fellow posters to see if I should just suck up and move on.
Yes, suck it up, pay the fine and move on. Currently it is not a moving violation until you're busted the 3rd time (not even sure if that was passed or not)

Old 04-09-2014, 08:55 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,493,965 times
Have your phone sync'ed up with your radio or use headset. Dialing and talking for just seconds may mean life or death on the roads.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,889,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
because they aren't wrong. there is nothing wrong with talking on a cell phone. these self righteous nutballs are really something.
There is nothing wrong with talking on a cell phone per se. Just like there's nothing wrong with brushing your hair or eating a sandwich. Of course, if you become more involved in the talking, or the brushing or the eating, then you are distracted from the important task of controlling your vehicle. Which is why I think the specific ban on cell phone use is moronic, but have no problem with tickets given for distracted driving. Since none of us know whether the driver in this case was or was not distracted (no offense to the OP, but we can't rely on just that person's word on the issue, as every distracted driver who ever caused an accident likely thought he wasn't distracted at all, right up to the point of collision) we can't accurately call the ticketing officer a self righteous nutball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: