Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 10:50 AM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
but go to other states where you can pump your own and those lines aren't there even in peak times. that's precisely the point. having an attendant is inefficient. and states where it is legal to PYO, you still have Full Service stations for those folks who don't want to pump their own. in fact, many stations have a Full Service row and a Self Service row - and you can see the price difference as well.
I disagree about the lines in other states. I also can't remember the last time I saw a full service lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 11:15 AM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Quote:
the NJ folks who love defending this silly law love inventing scenarios that, if they even ever happen, are extremely rare. As if people never look at the weather forecast. "Oh, it's gonna be 0 degrees on saturday, maybe i'll get gas on the way home today instead of waiting til i hit E". It's that easy.
That was my story. There have been a few times in my life when I thought that I was going to freeze to death before the tank was full. I'm exaggerating, of course, but you can't always choose when to get gas.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM

88,292 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Supposedly this is very bad for your car. I read an article that it can flood something down there causing severe damage. I will never go to that gas station again. Customer service is just about gone in this country. People work these menial jobs and have a bad attitude. Well guess what gas station guy, if you don't like pumping gas and think it's beneath you, get a real job!

There is a Dunkin in Hacketstown near East ave where this big Russian looking guy works the drive-thru window in the mornings. This dude just seems to hate life, never smiles, never says thank you, just very miserable and rude. That's not the way I want to be greeted at 6am before I've had my coffee. I stopped going there.
Same way with the woman at my nearest liquor store. Never smiles, always looks angry and miserable. She isn't impolite, but I feel as if I'm on eggshells just bothering her by purchasing my bottle of wine. I've been in that shopping center, thought about getting wine, and actually have gotten in my car and driven to the store in the next shopping center so I don't have to look at her.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:57 AM

7,216 posts, read 11,905,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same way with the woman at my nearest liquor store. Never smiles, always looks angry and miserable. She isn't impolite, but I feel as if I'm on eggshells just bothering her by purchasing my bottle of wine. I've been in that shopping center, thought about getting wine, and actually have gotten in my car and driven to the store in the next shopping center so I don't have to look at her.
What a shame for the business. If I were you, I would buy my wine a case or two at a time to avoid her more often.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:31 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,366,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I disagree about the lines in other states. I also can't remember the last time I saw a full service lane.
i've never experienced a wait in PA like I have in NJ. ever. except one time in the early 2000s when Sheetz first opened near my uncle in central PA and has a 99c/gallon promotion. gas was around $1.80/gallon at that point, so it was a stellar deal. cars lined up 5-6 deep at the pumps to get gas for a while. other than that, i've never really pulled into a station in PA where there wasn't an available pump. and since it didn't matter how many cars were there since i didn't have to wait for an attendant, it was immediate service.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:58 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,360,114 times
Quote:
honestly, it's not about the time. i love having a few minutes here and there. and i'm far from a rate race person, but i do have to pick my kids up at daycare and i respect other people's time. respecting people's time is one of my biggest pet peeves. i hate it at work, i hate it as a customer, and i hate it as a person, when people show a complete lack of respect for your time.

in the case of gasoline, i'm forced to be at the mercy of someone else's decision of whether or not to respect the customer's time.
Preaching to the choir here, my friend. I hate full service, its too damn slow. Yeah its only 3,4,5 whatever minutes but I can do it faster. Are those minutes out of a day small in the grand scheme of things? Sure, but it all depends on the situation; i guess its silly for people to accelerate and run a yellow light so they don't have to wait an additional 5 minutes?

Old 04-17-2014, 08:00 PM

414 posts, read 927,863 times
Default Capless fuel filler

Quote:
really? i've never seen a car with no gas cap.
You'll find these on several Ford Models ...I believe Ford started using them in 2009. The Explorer, Fusion and Fiesta have them...probably all of their models at this point.

GM is following suit with the 2013 Cadillac XTS sedan. I'm not a fan of these things as you have to apply more pressure that I think is necessary with the pump nozzle onto the little fuel filler opening.

I heard people who run out of gas have to use a funnel (to keep the little metal "gate" pried open) to fill the car up from a portable gas container.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:31 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,650,524 times
Quote:
I heard people who run out of gas have to use a funnel (to keep the little
metal "gate" pried open) to fill the car up from a portable gas container.
It's required and Ford supplies one with each vehicle. Not using it can damage the fuel filler door. It is far from a simple flap that seals the opening. Using a gas can alone won't work.

Pros and Cons of Capless Gas Tanks - Car Pro News

Mine has worked fine on both vehicles.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:22 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,171,087 times
Wow, as of late gas prices have gone up a bit. Wonder why it has happened. I remember it being $3.09 2 weeks ago and its $3.32 now.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:20 AM

50,470 posts, read 36,126,975 times
Quote:
I love how these gas threads always get things going! i was gonna check back this morning when i pulled into an Exxon on Central Ave in East Orange. waited a few minutes at the pump, then got out. the guy emerged from the booth, i hadn't seen him before getting out so i thought he was inside of the garage.

total time to get $12 of gas - 6 minutes.
Be patient. Once Super Wawa makes it's way up north, you won't have these problems. They are super efficient and amazingly good at keeping track of who pulled in first, second, etc. Also nice and polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey