Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 09:34 PM

414 posts, read 931,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamna929 View Post
This is new to me (non-NJ resident). I've always pumped my own gas, and prefer it. Are all NJ gas stations full service?
Yes, it is a state law in NJ that mandates full service only. We are not allowed to "self serve". Same situation in the state of Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 05:36 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
If this were me...I would've beeped the horn ..or acted like I was gonna pull out of the gas station to get the attendant to stop the ridiculous texting.

If THAT didn't work, I would've said the hell with it and left. Unless I was on "E" of course...lol.
I've pulled out in the past and wrote a letter to Hess. Of course nothing was ever done about the poor service.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:43 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Quote:

wrote a letter to Hess
Same as writing a letter to Harley complaining. The stations are individually owned.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:07 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I was at a BP on rt 31 in Washington gassing up when this attendant stood there for several minutes texting before he moved his ass to do his job.
This doesn't surprise me at all. I hate that station and will never go back. The last time I was there, the attendant jammed almost $4 worth of gas into my car after the pump clicked off. I don't mind squeezing some extra in to get to an even dollar amount when the customer is paying cash, but almost $4 worth? I yelled out the window, "Whoa, whoa!!!" and he just ranted something to me in a language other than English and continued pumping. I started to get out of the car and he finally stopped. He's lucky there wasn't gasoline pouring out everywhere.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:44 PM

807 posts, read 1,033,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
This doesn't surprise me at all. I hate that station and will never go back. The last time I was there, the attendant jammed almost $4 worth of gas into my car after the pump clicked off. I don't mind squeezing some extra in to get to an even dollar amount when the customer is paying cash, but almost $4 worth? I yelled out the window, "Whoa, whoa!!!" and he just ranted something to me in a language other than English and continued pumping. I started to get out of the car and he finally stopped. He's lucky there wasn't gasoline pouring out everywhere.

Supposedly this is very bad for your car. I read an article that it can flood something down there causing severe damage. I will never go to that gas station again. Customer service is just about gone in this country. People work these menial jobs and have a bad attitude. Well guess what gas station guy, if you don't like pumping gas and think it's beneath you, get a real job!

There is a Dunkin in Hacketstown near East ave where this big Russian looking guy works the drive-thru window in the mornings. This dude just seems to hate life, never smiles, never says thank you, just very miserable and rude. That's not the way I want to be greeted at 6am before I've had my coffee. I stopped going there.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:08 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Supposedly this is very bad for your car. I read an article that it can flood something down there causing severe damage.
It has the potential to soak the evaporative emissions system's carbon canister with gasoline, thus triggering the Check Engine Light. While this probably won't happen from just one instance of doing the click-click-click maneuver with the gas pump, repeatedly forcing more gas into the tank after the pump has clicked off will frequently result in having to replace the carbon canister--to the tune of ~$300.

That is why I either fuel the car myself, or--in the rare instances when I cannot do it myself--I make sure that I am standing next to the pump when it clicks off so that I can tell the attendant, "That's enough. No more!" (or Bastante--No mas!)

Old 04-16-2014, 01:27 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It has the potential to soak the evaporative emissions system's carbon canister with gasoline, thus triggering the Check Engine Light. While this probably won't happen from just one instance of doing the click-click-click maneuver with the gas pump, repeatedly forcing more gas into the tank after the pump has clicked off will frequently result in having to replace the carbon canister--to the tune of ~$300.

That is why I either fuel the car myself, or--in the rare instances when I cannot do it myself--I make sure that I am standing next to the pump when it clicks off so that I can tell the attendant, "That's enough. No more!" (or Bastante--No mas!)

Yeah, they don't force it when you are paying with a card but with cash they will. Usually only 30-40 cents worth though. No mas won't work, the majority of the gas station attendants in my area that don't speak English are Arabic or Asian.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:54 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
I love how these gas threads always get things going! i was gonna check back this morning when i pulled into an Exxon on Central Ave in East Orange. waited a few minutes at the pump, then got out. the guy emerged from the booth, i hadn't seen him before getting out so i thought he was inside of the garage.

total time to get $12 of gas - 6 minutes.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Yep, but try that in 95 degree heat or 30-40 mph winds when it's snowing.

Plus I'd rather my wife not have to pump the gas.

Pretty much your experience was 5 minutes. No offense, but big deal.
i've pumped gas in 95 degree heat, and it's rarely 30-40mph winds, and it's not like it's like that for days.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
And if you're putting just $15 in, you're already stopping 3x more than you should be, so I guess time isn't everything!
i had a rental car, and i have to return it with 5/8 of a tank. thought my car would be ready that day, so i put enough gas in it to get me to what i needed. turned out my car wasn't ready til today.

time isn't everything - but why should i be forced to waste time because of some archaic law that has no meaning today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey