U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:49 AM

7 posts, read 15,381 times

Advertisements

HI ALL..
I have recently moved to NJ. and I do have a unexpired licence issued from another state.
1.IS it mandatory to transfer my licence and the number plate? Or my out of state licence is good as long as my licence doesnt expires?
If answer to above question is yes I need to transfer my licence.
than
2.Do I need to change my car's number plate also?
or the number plate from another state and my driving licence from NJ is fine?
3.What are the fees for transferring the licence and changing the number plate?
4.Within how many days of my moving to NJ do I need to transfer my licence and number plate of my car?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:51 AM

12,925 posts, read 24,048,548 times
Yes you need to get a NJ license and also register your car here if you are going to reside.

The link should tell you the fees and how long you have to do this. You also need to let your insurance co know.

Motor Vehicle Commission

Old 04-14-2014, 11:42 AM

1,476 posts, read 3,348,351 times
The general rule is 60 days from the date you move to New Jersey: State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission
To transfer your out-of-state license
  • Visit any MVC Agency with your current driver license (Basic Auto/Motorcycle) and the proper legal documents to pass the 6 point ID requirements
  • Purchase a driver permit ($10)
  • Knowledge and road tests are waived as long as you have a valid, non-provisional driver license issued by any of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Territories of American Samoa and Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.**
  • You will be issued a four-year basic New Jersey license and will be required to surrender your out-of-state license

Old 04-14-2014, 05:34 PM

7 posts, read 15,381 times
what If I choose not to transfer my out of state licence and car number plate to NJ.?

Old 04-14-2014, 06:13 PM

414 posts, read 649,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Ny View Post
what If I choose not to transfer my out of state licence and car number plate to NJ.?
At this point, you are considered an Unlicensed Driver in the State of NJ and if a cop pulls you over, you will be in violation of N.J.S.A Statute 39:3-10:

Driving without a license or with an expired license where the offender has been licensed in NJ or elsewhere (listed 39:3- 10A in ATS)

Penalty:

Maximum $500.00 Fine or Imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 60 days (when paying through the Violations Bureau, defendant must attach copy of valid license).

However, New Jersey State Motor Vehicle Commission may charge a $100 surcharge per year for three years for driving with an expired license.

Your BEST bet is to stop rolling the dice and taking your chances, go directly to your closest New Jersey DMV facility ASAP, do not pass go or collect $200, or you just might end up in jail.

Last edited by The Winter Soldier; 04-14-2014 at 06:22 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 06:15 PM

2,746 posts, read 3,914,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Ny View Post
State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission
"If you have recently moved to New Jersey, you must transfer your out-of-state license within 60 days of your move or before your current license expires, whichever occurs first."

What's your reason for not wanting to get a NJ driver's license? Will you be living in NJ permanently?

Old 04-14-2014, 06:17 PM

767 posts, read 1,935,040 times
I tried getting away with that when I moved back to Jersey from Florida. I got pulled over by the police in Hoboken and they towed my car away. Just change it, its not that big of a deal.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 AM

5,327 posts, read 12,332,087 times
Actually I heard, and haven't had time to verify, that there is some rule that IF you return to your home state every once in a while, might be 60 days, then you are still legal. For practical reasons you want to be able to have DL related mail go to where you can receive mail since you avoid the occasional hassles which could trip up your license, for example, maybe a parking ticket you knew nothing about or similar can snowball into a bigger deal, etc.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:27 AM

12,925 posts, read 24,048,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Actually I heard, and haven't had time to verify, that there is some rule that IF you return to your home state every once in a while, might be 60 days, then you are still legal. For practical reasons you want to be able to have DL related mail go to where you can receive mail since you avoid the occasional hassles which could trip up your license, for example, maybe a parking ticket you knew nothing about or similar can snowball into a bigger deal, etc.
Yes that would be when you have two residences with one actually being your domicile....like snowbirds that spend months in FL but another state is their actual domicile or vice versa.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:48 PM

3,314 posts, read 12,255,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
I tried getting away with that when I moved back to Jersey from Florida. I got pulled over by the police in Hoboken and they towed my car away. Just change it, its not that big of a deal.
Just curious. Was your license expired? What was the reason for your car being towed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or