U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:53 AM

6,928 posts, read 8,950,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
\/

I think that the OP may have gotten his question answered.

Apparently so. Looks like chromium wasn't limited to just Garfield. Amazing how 3BRs in Newport are renting for 4K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 10:09 AM

13,429 posts, read 15,852,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Apparently so. Looks like chromium wasn't limited to just Garfield. Amazing how 3BRs in Newport are renting for 4K.
If you could find more one person in 1,000 living there who was aware of the widespread use of toxic chromium fill in Jersey City, I would be amazed.

As I previously stated, chromium waste was used as "fill" throughout Jersey City for several decades, and was apparently used to some extent in other areas of Hudson County as well. My parents' home in Bayonne--with chromium fill in the backyard--was built in the late '60s, but it appears that this practice extended at least into the '70s, and perhaps into the '80s.

The site of the former Roosevelt Drive-in Theater on Route 440 has been covered with impermeable plastic for a long time, and it is zoned so that nothing can be built there. This is the result of a huge quantity of chromium in the soil on that large tract of land.

Just south of the old drive-in is the site of the long-gone Kellogg factory (no, not the cereal company), and as a result of Kellogg's fabrication of nuclear bomb components, the area now occupied by the K-Mart & Pathmark stores has excess residual radiation emanating from the ground.

Hudson County is simply not the healthiest place to live, from an environmental standpoint.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:37 PM

3,655 posts, read 8,388,870 times
I have also heard that the Society Hill townhouses located on route 440 were built on top of a chromium dump. A friend of mine was looking to buy there years ago and obviously changed his mind after hearing about this.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:53 PM

13,429 posts, read 15,852,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I have also heard that the Society Hill townhouses located on route 440 were built on top of a chromium dump. A friend of mine was looking to buy there years ago and obviously changed his mind after hearing about this.
Even if those homes weren't built on top of chromium waste, their close proximity to the site of the old Kellogg factory, with its high levels of residual radiation, should be enough reason to stay away.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:14 PM

6,928 posts, read 8,950,360 times
So then those kids attending French-American Academy JC and Stevens Coop are bound to get exposed to something, especially given that they do a lot of ground floor activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or