U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 05:48 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,708,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I once pointed out these points (facts) in a General US thread regarding southerners and northerners and got absolutely reamed by Southerners. I got so torn apart you'd think I made up some ridiculous and highly insulting lie about the South. It was unreal. People down there (not all, some) just don't get it - STILL.

I remember the first time I travelled down South with my husband & found myself riding down Jefferson Davis Boulevard !

It's all in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 PM

3,986 posts, read 5,570,694 times
The Germans once had an openly racist society & political power structures which encouraged & promoted open racism. I'm sure there are still racists there but they don't now celebrate or romanticize that insane part of their past. We have dingbats like Paula Deen hosting parties at slave plantations with black people as servants. She thought nothing of it too.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 PM

11,686 posts, read 9,151,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
The Germans once had an openly racist society & political power structures which encouraged & promoted open racism. I'm sure there are still racists there but they don't now celebrate or romanticize that insane part of their past. We have dingbats like Paula Deen hosting parties at slave plantations with black people as servants. She thought nothing of it too.
They're not even allowed to in Germany. In the US, you can be a Nazi as long as you don't blatantly threat or harm anyone, but in Germany Nazism is illegal. Anything regarding Nazis, Hitler, swastikas, is illegal. They are deeply ashamed, and rightfully. No one today that wasn't alive then or at least taking part should feel personally responsible but they definitely should not allow that type of behavior ever again, or allow romanticizing of it.

I'm fine with learning about and acknowledging the South's past, because why wouldn't we, but celebrating it? It's literally anti-American to wave a Confederate flag, and it's racist, no matter where you are. People in NJ doing so look like even bigger idiots because at least most Southern states seceded and were directly a part of that history. We didn't and we weren't.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:20 PM

2,142 posts, read 3,165,706 times
Maryland is the buffer zone. Every heard the native Baltimorian(?) Black accent? It sounds Southern as heck.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:37 PM

8,312 posts, read 9,662,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Maryland is the buffer zone. Every heard the native Baltimorian(?) Black accent? It sounds Southern as heck.
Do these native Black Baltimorians sound Southern to you?

Lance Reddick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk1A36Mq6xY

Mario (Singer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__oYyzOuMjU

Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 AM

279 posts, read 333,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
I remember the first time I travelled down South with my husband & found myself riding down Jefferson Davis Boulevard !

It's all in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?
You think that's bad? Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas celebrate Robert E. Lee Day on the third Monday of every January. Guess what other holiday falls on that day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX
I know lots of blacks born and raised in Maryland. Their accent sounds identical to blacks from the NY/NJ area. It does not sound southern at all, frankly. The only exception is the older (50+) generation...........they do sound more southern. But then again, maybe years ago DC and Baltimore were more southern than they are now. You see the same thing in Florida, even as far south as Miami. Older native Floridians tend to have a southern accent, whereas younger natives do not.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:49 AM

6,147 posts, read 15,153,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post
You think that's bad? Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas celebrate Robert E. Lee Day on the third Monday of every January. Guess what other holiday falls on that day?

I know lots of blacks born and raised in Maryland. Their accent sounds identical to blacks from the NY/NJ area. It does not sound southern at all, frankly. The only exception is the older (50+) generation...........they do sound more southern. But then again, maybe years ago DC and Baltimore were more southern than they are now. You see the same thing in Florida, even as far south as Miami. Older Floridians tend to have southern accent, whereas younger natives do not.
Virginia had the same type of holiday up until the early 2000s. They merged their holiday for Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and Martin Luther King, Jr. on the same day, Lee-Jackson-King Day. Yes, just tack on King's name after two Confederate generals.
They've now separated their celebrations, so Lee-Jackson Day is the Friday before MLK Jr Day.

In Maryland, the accents I hear in the southern part of the state (Waldorf, Prince Frederick, etc.) and on the Eastern Shore (Salisbury, Pocomoke, etc.) sound southern to me. In Baltimore, at least among white people, the accent sounds similar in some ways to Philadelphia. They drink wooder, swim in the eaushun, and root for the Eaurioles. Let's geau Eaus! It's maybe a bit more twangy than Philly, but the similar pronunciations of many vowel sounds make them kind of similar.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:52 AM

11,686 posts, read 9,151,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Virginia had the same type of holiday up until the early 2000s. They merged their holiday for Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and Martin Luther King, Jr. on the same day, Lee-Jackson-King Day. Yes, just tack on King's name after two Confederate generals.
They've now separated their celebrations, so Lee-Jackson Day is the Friday before MLK Jr Day.

In Maryland, the accents I hear in the southern part of the state (Waldorf, Prince Frederick, etc.) and on the Eastern Shore (Salisbury, Pocomoke, etc.) sound southern to me. In Baltimore, at least among white people, the accent sounds similar in some ways to Philadelphia. They drink wooder, swim in the eaushun, and root for the Eaurioles. Let's geau Eaus! It's maybe a bit more twangy than Philly, but the similar pronunciations of many vowel sounds make them kind of similar.
Unreal.

Kentucky has a monument to Jefferson Davis, if this hasn't already been mentioned. It's 350 feet tall, an obelisk just like the Washington Monument in DC. I mean it's like a carbon copy as far as looks go. I personally find that highly disrespectful but whatever. I guess it's just a place I'll never visit.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 04-22-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 06:03 PM

9,137 posts, read 13,314,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
There's more than one Baltimore accent; there's at least the one in which Baltimore is pronouced "Ballmer" (those guys root for the Earls) and the one in which Baltimore is pronounced "Ball-tee-more". Neither seems especially southern.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:05 AM

1,462 posts, read 3,253,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Unreal. Kentucky has a monument to Jefferson Davis, if this hasn't already been mentioned. It's 350 feet tall, an obelisk just like the Washington Monument in DC. I mean it's like a carbon copy as far as looks go. I personally find that highly disrespectful but whatever. I guess it's just a place I'll never visit.
'Unreal' ditto!
It's 200 feet shorter than Washington's, but still unbelievable.
What's next, Iraq erecting memorial monuments for Saddam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or