Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 11:09 AM

8 posts, read 15,797 times

Advertisements

So, I took all of your advice (excluding paterson but thanks for the suggestion though I greatly appreciate your effort!) Anyways, so I found some homes in Edison and Piscataway which I didn't really like. The area is really great from the reviews I've read but I didn't like the homes I found (not what we were looking for really). My co-worker suggested Elizabeth/Elizabethport, Roselle, and Plainfield, what do you think of those? Are they safe and what about the traffic? I REALLY liked Elizabeth (especially the homes) and Plainfield was pretty good too.

So how is the commute from Elizabeth/Elizabethport and Plainfield to Rutgers-New Brunswick and Edison, NJ (my work place).

Again, THANK YOUUU SO MUCHH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 11:16 AM

19,111 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynajrh View Post
As far as transportation, she will be definitely be transporting by car and she is going to attend the Communication and Arts and Sciences building (Journalism and Economics Double Major hopefully).
Not that it really affects where you will choose to live, but you should be aware that the Rutgers campus is absolutely huge, and it actually encompasses parts of the town of Piscataway, in addition to 3 separate and distinct parts of New Brunswick. Your daughter's various classes could be literally anywhere on the parts of the Rutgers U. campus known as Rutgers College, Douglass College, Cook College, and Livingston college. Like other Rutgers U. students, she will be shuttling around that huge campus very frequently on the free buses that are provided.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:23 AM

19,111 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynajrh View Post
My co-worker suggested Elizabeth/Elizabethport, Roselle, and Plainfield, what do you think of those? Are they safe and what about the traffic? I REALLY liked Elizabeth (especially the homes) and Plainfield was pretty good too.

So how is the commute from Elizabeth/Elizabethport and Plainfield to Rutgers-New Brunswick and Edison, NJ (my work place).

Elizabeth/Elizabethport are not at all convenient for somebody commuting to Rutgers.
Then, we have the issue of safety...
With the exception of the Elmora section of Elizabeth, I suggest that you forget about Elizabeth.
Elizabethport is a grimy, congested, industrial section of Elizabeth, and it is neither...safe...clean...nor convenient to New Brunswick.

Roselle has a few decent areas, but--overall--that town has a high crime rate.
Plainfield--with the exception of the area where some wealthy gay people live--is not safe.

My guess is that you were attracted to the places that you mentioned because they are substantially cheaper than towns closer to New Brunswick. Trust me...there are very good reasons why those towns are cheaper, and the crime rate is the major factor in that price differential.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:50 AM

551 posts, read 1,187,353 times
OP claims she didnt like the homes in Edison/Piscataway? Are you kidding me??
Elizabeth/Roselle Park have MORE run down homes/ugly old ranches than you will ever find elsewhere!

Get real OP if you truly wanted "the best" SUGGESTION for your asking points, it still hands down points to Piscataway/Edison and 2k will get you what you want there just search!!

Old 05-03-2014, 12:21 PM

472 posts, read 811,709 times
My suggestion is one of the Brunswicks or Piscataway.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:49 PM

328 posts, read 1,049,111 times
No one has suggested Somerset!!! There are lots of options there. In Somerset, your daughter could take backroads to Rutgers and avoid I-287, River Road and Rt 18. It would be one of the easiest commutes to Rutgers. Somerset is also not far from Edison and it is VERY diverse.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 15,797 times
Okay guys, crossing out the suggestions I got from my co-worker. I will search further in the Brunswicks, Edison, Piscataway and Somerset.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey