U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:12 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,940,498 times

Advertisements

In NJ the average police officer's compensation is $40,000 higher that the average teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 03:15 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,227,827 times
ok.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:41 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,336,510 times
Not true. Do you know how much a cop makes working in Passaic or Paterson?

Then you have some cops in bergen county that are over paid.

The same can be said with teachers.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:50 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,940,498 times
Is true do you know what average means. I did not say all I did not name certain towns I said average.

The average police salary is $93,000 plus the town pays about 14% of that to fund their pension. The average teacher makes $63,000 with the State supposed to contribute 4% of their salary to the pension.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:51 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,881,399 times
A cop that works in a suburban town should never ever ever make more then 100k tops. A cop that works in one of our lovely cities like Newark,Camden and the others cant be compensated enough. Its a really bad situation that guys in New Providence are getting paid at a similar if not better rate. Wacky world I tell you.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:51 PM

3,182 posts, read 2,812,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
A cop that works in a suburban town should never ever ever make more then 100k tops. A cop that works in one of our lovely cities like Newark,Camden and the others cant be compensated enough. Its a really bad situation that guys in New Providence are getting paid at a similar if not better rate. Wacky world I tell you.
To a certain extent it's a market failure -- police are paid very highly in small towns because the money is there and a local politician friendly with some of them raises the rates, and once they are up no one wants to be the guy in town known to be advocating for lower police salaries for all of the obvious reasons. Further the forces become family fiefs to a certain extent where to get in you need to be related to or close friends with someone on the force or with significant political pull.

At least you get the side benefit that the cops tend to be pretty happy and genuinely view their job as serving the residents, as opposed to in cities where there is more of an oppositional relationship between cops and normal citizens.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:33 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,698,084 times
Cops can make 25-30% more in OT. They're not white collar professionals but we pay them that way.

And Christie never blames them or their union for bankrupting NJ.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:43 PM

3,994 posts, read 8,728,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Cops can make 25-30% more in OT. They're not white collar professionals but we pay them that way.

And Christie never blames them or their union for bankrupting NJ.
They get paid more in line with what managers leading a team of white collar professionals get paid. Its a hard job, but the pay scale should be more like 50-80k, especially considering the generous retirement.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:56 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,881,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
They get paid more in line with what managers leading a team of white collar professionals get paid. Its a hard job, but the pay scale should be more like 50-80k, especially considering the generous retirement.
Newark, Camden, Irvington no doubt about it. A very tough job having to deal with tons of morons and downright bad people. The burbs a tough job? Nope you will never convince me of that. Great work if you can get it but no way in gods green earth those cops in all the really really nice town in jersey should be making 120k plus. Just not right.
Teachers and Cops for that matter in cities and urban areas work so much harder then their suburban counterparts. Only difference is teachers get blamed for a lot of the problems going on in the cities while cops never get any of the blame. Of course anyone with half a brain understands neither of them are to blame for societies ills.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 PM

5,370 posts, read 10,130,590 times
Wow, first its Christie versus cops and firemen and teachers and public employees. And now we have teachers versus cops. So if u bring it up, i'll bite. I didn't get summers off, holidays off, christmas week off, easter week off, and so on and so forth. We got 2 weeks vacation off in the summer after 5 years on. I had to work the midnight shift for 11 years when I started and I needed 22 years on to work the day shift. WE WORKED weekends and holidays. Yes cops are decently compensated, but when u were home sleeping I was working midnights in the city. Have a nice day Tom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or