U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:55 PM

225 posts, read 288,731 times

Advertisements

So the Star Ledger ran the following article last week, stating that only 28% of New Jerseyans have pride in our home state. Among every state in the nation, New Jersey ranks 46th in terms of state pride, tied with Michigan and New Mexico.

Hey, New Jersey, where's your state pride? | NJ.com

To me this (unfortunately) makes a lot of sense. In everyday life, it seems we puff our chests out and pretend to have pride in our state and yet at the same time, there is an ongoing feud between North and South Jersey, some people refuse to acknowledge Central Jersey's existence, people from the suburbs refuse to visit our cities, and we can't even agree on what to call Taylor Ham/Pork Roll.

It's very unfortunate because I have been from one end of this state to the other and have found plenty of things to be proud of. It seems that New Jerseyans just aren't that knowledgable about the positive things that happen outside of their little area of the state. As a result, we don't have a lot of pride in New Jersey as a whole. So the purpose of this thread is to educate people about great things that can be found in New Jersey.

Share with us something positive that you really like from your little slice of New Jersey. Is there a town that you love? What about a restaurant that you think deserves a mention? Is there a person or organization that you think does good work? Is there some aspect of New Jersey culture that you really enjoy? Any New Jersey institutions that you particularly like? Nothing is too big or too small.

I'll start by offering up a fairly obvious example but one that I'm sure everyone will agree should be included in this thread. The town of Princeton. I grew up right next door and I took the town for granted because it was always right there, but it truly is a great place. It is, in my opinion, the quintessential Ivy League college-town. The architecture is very beautiful and you really get a sense of the history and the important events that happened there. It is one of the best small towns in the country, in my opinion, and it is located right in the center of our home state.

So how about it, fellow New Jerseyans, what do you think makes our state a great place to live?

Last edited by montycench; 04-27-2014 at 10:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 09:59 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,337,474 times
Hmm ..... can't come up with much yet.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:11 PM

336 posts, read 303,922 times
N.J. is for sure one of the greatest states in the nation (top 5). Despite some cons, I actually like living in NJ.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:16 PM

239 posts, read 327,284 times
Your post is hard to read.

Paragraph.

I post in short sentences, and

paragraph.

Other than that, I adore New Jersey!

Old 04-27-2014, 10:17 PM

456 posts, read 631,358 times
NJ is one of those states that just doesn't have 'state pride' like Texas or California do.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:24 PM

929 posts, read 1,234,498 times
There is nothing to be proud of. NJ is NYC and PHI's highway and beach resort.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagafrika View Post
Your post is hard to read.

Paragraph.

I post in short sentences, and

paragraph.

Other than that, I adore New Jersey!
Sorry about that. I tend to be very wordy. I've broken the post up into smaller paragraphs and revised it slightly. Hopefully it is a little easier to read now.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
There is nothing to be proud of. NJ is NYC and PHI's highway and beach resort.
Okay, well, you did mention beach resort. I know the Jersey Shore isn't exactly Hawaii but why would New Yorkers or Pennsylvanians repeatedly go down the shore year after year if there was absolutely nothing positive about the experience? Surely there must be something that you enjoy or you wouldn't spend your time and money at the Jersey Shore. After all, you're from New York. You've got Long Island right there. No need to go out of the way to New Jersey unless there was some reason you preferred it to Long Island.

Last edited by montycench; 04-27-2014 at 10:44 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 PM

239 posts, read 327,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montycench View Post
Sorry about that. I tend to be very wordy. I've broken the post up into smaller paragraphs and revised it slightly. Hopefully it is a little easier to read now.
Sweet, no worries, friend.

I love New Jersey.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:21 PM

Hmm, okay. Obviously this thread is not panning out as I had hoped so far. I'll offer up one more example. New Jersey celebrities are dominating TV right now and I absolutely am not talking about reality shows. I mean in a good way. Peter Dinklage who plays Tyrion Lannister on Game of Thrones is from Mendham Township. George R. R. Martin, the man who created the books and the show that the entire country is obsessed with, is from Bayonne.

Lauren Cohan, who plays Maggie on The Walking Dead is also a New Jersey native. Don't let her british accent fool you. She lived most of her childhood in Cherry Hill before moving to her mother's home country.

Then of course there is Netflix which is gaining a lot of acclaim for their two original shows House of Cards and Orange is the New Black. House of Cards features New Jersey natives Kevin Spacey and Kristen Connolly. Orange is the New Black has Laura Prepon and Jason Biggs.

Anyway, I just thought it was cool that many of the TV shows everyone is currently obsessing over, feature so many people from New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or