U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:07 PM

136 posts, read 197,198 times

Advertisements

I'm sure you are aware ScarletKnight about the soon to completed teachers village project. There has been overwhelming demand for both the residential and commercial space and all indications show that RBH Capital (and partners) hit an absolute home run. Well that is only the first phase of their master plan they call South of Market (SOMA). They have powerful backing and now a proven track record and seem poised to barrel full steam ahead onto stage two (and beyond)

Here is a post on New York YIMBY describing the project: Revealed: SoMA Newark -- New York YIMBY

Now before you get all up in arms screaming how this is not approved or under construction yet, I am well aware. But even the fact that there is a reputable developer with a proven track record and a clear focus on newark is proposing 15 million square feet of development over 23 acres of land, a 1,000+ foot office tower, thousands of residential units, thousands (better yet hundreds of thousands) of feet of retail space and hotels, All with a hopeful completion date of 2025 in the city you claim is nothing more than a burnt out ghetto reveals a lot about the current and future potential of the city of Newark.

This project is a lot more ambitious than what any single developer is proposing in JC, the only developments there are residential projects with demonstrated NYC overflow demand, with each developer more or less only building one building. (General curiosity, when was the last major office building built in JC. It seems the only thing being built are Studio/1/2-bedroom rental apartments?)

This is in no way meant to bring down JC but rather to shine the light on what positive developments are happening in Newark before the "gentrification spillover from JC and Harrison" as so many are claiming to be Newark's only hope
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 06:46 AM

177 posts, read 204,039 times
All these posts comparing JC to Newark are ridiculous, JC Heights and Downtown are VERY safe I've never had any issues.

While I was attending night school at HCCC JC campus, which is located in "the bad part", I took public transportation and never had any problems either.

My buddy grew up in the rough part of Newark, we often call his neighborhood Iraq because of the gun shots. I went to his house one time for a BBQ and the neighbors shot their guns in the air as if they were celebrating something and he told me that's their sign to lower the music. He said it so casually as if it were something normal; I've never returned.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:11 AM

79 posts, read 100,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xism View Post
All these posts comparing JC to Newark are ridiculous, JC Heights and Downtown are VERY safe I've never had any issues.

While I was attending night school at HCCC JC campus, which is located in "the bad part", I took public transportation and never had any problems either.

My buddy grew up in the rough part of Newark, we often call his neighborhood Iraq because of the gun shots. I went to his house one time for a BBQ and the neighbors shot their guns in the air as if they were celebrating something and he told me that's their sign to lower the music. He said it so casually as if it were something normal; I've never returned.
Obviously Newark is worse its one of the worst cities across the nation, nobody is comparing crime stats between the two. But for someone to say JC is more comparable to Millburn is the stupidest nonsense I've ever read on this forum.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:04 AM

225 posts, read 315,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xism View Post

Nobody is denying that Jersey City is safer or further along in redevelopment but that is not the only criteria on which you can reasonably compare two different places. And if you are going to compare the two cities based on safety then, at least include the full spectrum from both cities. Comparing only the best parts of Jersey City to only the worst parts of Newark is hardly a fair comparison. Not that Newark would look significantly better but still, to compare the best of Jersey City with the worst of Newark is lopsided. If you're not going to compare them at a city wide level then compare two areas that are similar to each other. Grove St and Ferry St. would be a good comparison.

As for the article posted by the OP, Jersey City is great and I'm very excited about the development there. It may be largely contained to downtown right now but it is starting to spread to other areas. Journal Square has a lot of projects coming up that I'm looking forward to.

Last edited by montycench; 05-03-2014 at 11:28 AM..

Old 05-03-2014, 11:55 AM

4,142 posts, read 9,610,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeSizlack View Post
Obviously Newark is worse its one of the worst cities across the nation, nobody is comparing crime stats between the two. But for someone to say JC is more comparable to Millburn is the stupidest nonsense I've ever read on this forum.
I agree, but at the same time it is nonsense to compare JC to Newark. There is nothing like the waterfront in Newark. Newark is all low income and mostly ghetto.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:20 PM

8,406 posts, read 11,828,516 times
I think JC has passed Newark in terms of population.

Also,Jersey City is more diverse than Newark.

From driving around,I would say Camden,Trenton,Paterson,and Newark look mopre dangerous than JC.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:38 PM

136 posts, read 197,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I agree, but at the same time it is nonsense to compare JC to Newark. There is nothing like the waterfront in Newark. Newark is all low income and mostly ghetto.
You are comparing one, relatively small area (albeit highly important) area of one city to the bad areas of another city. That is in no way a comparison. I will assume you are a resident of JC with a super inflated ego

I wasn't that long ago that the entirely of JC was all low income and mostly ghetto as you so eloquently put it, but memories are quick to forget what we don't want to remember. This backwater town of Newark, in addition to their low income ghettos, supports a workforce of 100,000 people, the largest in the state of New Jersey, over 40,000 students at 4(5) schools, the headquarters of Panasonic, Prudential, IDT, horizon blue cross blue shield, Audible.com, PSEG as well as others, the busiest port on the east coast, numerous federal agencies, a major international airport, a station on the NEC, a top 10 grossing sports arena and I can continue but I won't we have had this discussion before and JC fanboys refuse to see facts as they are presented. Yes, JC does have lot more NYC transplants and tall buildings to house them as close to NY as they can possibly live but aside from that it doesn't have much more than the city of Newark does

Old 05-04-2014, 10:38 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,608,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montycench View Post
Nobody is denying that Jersey City is safer or further along in redevelopment but that is not the only criteria on which you can reasonably compare two different places. And if you are going to compare the two cities based on safety then, at least include the full spectrum from both cities. Comparing only the best parts of Jersey City to only the worst parts of Newark is hardly a fair comparison. Not that Newark would look significantly better but still, to compare the best of Jersey City with the worst of Newark is lopsided. If you're not going to compare them at a city wide level then compare two areas that are similar to each other. Grove St and Ferry St. would be a good comparison.

As for the article posted by the OP, Jersey City is great and I'm very excited about the development there. It may be largely contained to downtown right now but it is starting to spread to other areas. Journal Square has a lot of projects coming up that I'm looking forward to.
This is what I've been seeing more of lately (in this and our 'other' thread). I remember the old JC waterfront, which looked like Newark's eastern industrial Ironbound. I just hope JC maintains it's flavor, and doesn't turn snobby on us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsx1187 View Post
You are comparing one, relatively small area (albeit highly important) area of one city to the bad areas of another city. That is in no way a comparison. I will assume you are a resident of JC with a super inflated ego

I wasn't that long ago that the entirely of JC was all low income and mostly ghetto as you so eloquently put it, but memories are quick to forget what we don't want to remember. This backwater town of Newark, in addition to their low income ghettos, supports a workforce of 100,000 people, the largest in the state of New Jersey, over 40,000 students at 4(5) schools, the headquarters of Panasonic, Prudential, IDT, horizon blue cross blue shield, Audible.com, PSEG as well as others, the busiest port on the east coast, numerous federal agencies, a major international airport, a station on the NEC, a top 10 grossing sports arena and I can continue but I won't we have had this discussion before and JC fanboys refuse to see facts as they are presented. Yes, JC does have lot more NYC transplants and tall buildings to house them as close to NY as they can possibly live but aside from that it doesn't have much more than the city of Newark does
Agreed. JC is far more influenced by the NY real estate market. JC definitely has boomed in the last 2 decades overall, but I just don't understand how folks equate that to Newark having 'nothing'. Teacher's Village, Rock Plaza lofts, etc. under construction and market-rate residences downtown (to say nothing of the fact that Rock Plaza lofts already maxed out their listings). That shows that despite everything else, there is still demand to live downtown.

It's like the fella that said Newark doesn't have the bar or restaurant selection (maybe he was talking about '91 Newark? Ironbound?)

Folks also often point out Manhattan-proximity (which is a great thing no doubt), but instead of saying that's a plus for JC, they list it as a con for Newark (I do not think a city has to be literally right across the river from Manhattan to be successful). Newark has the largest concentration of college students in the state as well as good transit with its suburban ring. Every develop doesn't have to be for NY-bound commuters.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:18 PM

18,771 posts, read 12,013,073 times
JC area is like a really bad copy of Brooklyn. Took on all the bad from Brooklyn and very few positives.

Brooklyn has very few open roads that allows high volumes of traffic and the same could be said of JC. Getting in and around JC can be hellish during rush hour to stupid on weekends where the traffic is hampered by the poor road designs and infrastructure. Some areas you're sitting in traffic because of 4 way traffic and slow NJ drivers.

The recent closure of 1 lane on the Pulaski Skyway is proof. As the traffic spills over to the local streets you can be jammed for 1/2 hr just to pass a section outside JC. Once you're in JC, you have to deal with the never ending traffic lights that don't seem to stay green very long.

With the weekend shutdown of PATH to WTC, many parts of JC is empty on weekends nowadays even with good weather.

JC is not a good place for further expansion until they fix the transportation infrastructure. Too many roads and streets that goes to nowhere or circles around with never ending traffic lights event hardly any traffic.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:36 PM

256 posts, read 506,160 times
Take the best area of Newark (Ironbound) and compare it to downtown JC.

Any million dollar residences?

How many businesses recently left NYC for Newark?

How many parks- and how many of those are clean and not full of drug dealers?

How many bars and restaurants in each?

Average income in 07310/07302: 140k & 94k respectively. Ironbound: 41k.

Oh and how many new real estate projects? I won't even mention that because I feel bad humiliating the Newark crowd.

It's a ridiculous comparison- and I didn't say Jersey City is like Millburn- I said comparing JC to Newark is like comparing Millburn to Newark- meaning it's an apples to oranges comparison.

On the whole, Jersey City is far more diverse, has much lower crime, has a beautiful waterfront, more parks, better proximity to NYC, and is a city with rising property values and salaries. Jersey City is more like the rest of the Gold Coast cities.

The same cannot be said for Newark- which is the same vein of the other dying former industrial cities of the state, like Camden, Paterson, and Trenton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey