Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 08:27 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times

Advertisements

my girlfriend is getting her certification for teaching in new york. To teach in new jersey would she have to take more tests or do anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 10:28 PM

334 posts, read 438,216 times
In order to teach in NJ she must permanently live in NJ (a new law passed few years' ago that applies to all new teachers). She has to pass the praxis exam on the subject she wishes to teach, obtain a bachelor degree with minimum of 2.75 GPA (may go up to 3.0 either this fall or next).

Old 04-30-2014, 08:51 AM

well she wants to teach kindergarten so am not really sure what subject. she has her bachelors and masters and definitely over a 3 GPA. I am probably moving to NJ soon and might ask her to live with me

Old 04-30-2014, 09:34 AM

400 posts, read 793,221 times
There's a special praxis meant for kindergarten teachers. She would have to pass both the "generic" Praxis (similar to the SATs but not as hard since grade level is about 8th grade, not high school). After she passes that, she would have to pass whatever tests are needed for teaching kindergarten -- different areas of specialty have different tests and number of them.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:35 PM

thanks I don't think she will want to do that haha looks like I will try and get closer to NY

Old 04-30-2014, 01:24 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
As the previous posters have mentioned, your girlfriend will have to get certified and licensed in NJ for teaching. One thing I feel obliged to mention is that finding any teaching job in NJ is extremely difficult. If you do a quick search of this forum you will find many threads on the topic, and it would be well worth your time seek them out for a read for both you and the GF so that you are both going into this fully apprised of the situation. Finding a teaching position in NJ is quite hard, and there literally thousands of applicants each year for the few openings. The last opening in the school district where I live received well over 500 applicants for the position and it was only 3/4 time not full time. Almost all of the new hires in the state are of people that had previously substituted in the district and made a name for themselves, usually subbing for several years before obtaining a position, usually beginning as a per diem sub, and then filling in as a LTS when/if the need arises. There seems to be a higher turnover rate in the "less desirable" towns then in the "good" school districts, but not that much of a difference. There are certain certifications that are more in demand (science, computers, math), as less of the job seekers have those qualifications. Although your GF would ideally like to teach Kindergarten, she would be better off applying for any position she is licensed for (which would presumably be any elementary grade position) Best advice is to apply to be a sub at every school district within a reasonable commuting distance to where you live, be flexible and most of all patient and willing to "earn your opportunity". I am not trying to dissuade you in your quest, merely to alert you to the reality of the situation.

KoalaNJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey