Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 03:12 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,677,024 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

I just did a closet cleaning. While I don't have a lot of winter coats to donate, I do have a lot (10+) of gently used collared polo shirts that may be of use to someone in need.

(before someone says "EBay!" they are mainly Old Navy and lower-end stuff that will be more trouble than it's worth selling online)

I'd like to donate somewhere local, rather than shoving it into a mystery bin or something. Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 03:13 PM

"You said Monmouth twice."

I like Monmouth.

And by Monmouth the 2nd time, I mean Mercer.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:17 PM

11,292 posts, read 16,573,183 times
Where in Monmouth are you looking to drop off?

Old 12-04-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Where in Monmouth are you looking to drop off?
Long Branch, Eatontown, Red Bank, that area. I guess Asbury too but I'd rather avoid that if I can.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:49 PM

19,038 posts, read 25,127,039 times
In Middlesex County, there is a Goodwill Donation Center on Rt 18, in East Brunswick.

They will be happy to accept your clothing, and upon request, will provide a receipt for the donation. That receipt can be very helpful when itemizing your deductions on your Federal 1040!

Old 12-04-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Long Branch, Eatontown, Red Bank, that area. I guess Asbury too but I'd rather avoid that if I can.
Family Resoures in Shrewsbury

Family|Children|adolescents|disabilities|Non-Profit|Organization|Shrewsbury|New Jersey|

Old 12-04-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I appreciate the link but can you now explain to me how a charity for kids with Trisomy needs shirts?

I was thinking Red Cross or a homeless shelter.

EDIT: This is exactly what I DON'T want to do. I want them to go directly to people who need it, not a cash generator.

Quote:
Donate to the FRA Clothing Drive
Clothing is reused by others and items are resold to raise money for services we provide. Please consider saving your better items for FRA.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:18 AM

19,038 posts, read 25,127,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
I appreciate the link but can you now explain to me how a charity for kids with Trisomy needs shirts?

I was thinking Red Cross or a homeless shelter.

EDIT: This is exactly what I DON'T want to do. I want them to go directly to people who need it, not a cash generator.

One of the "dirty little secrets" of organizations that collect old clothing is that many of them simply sell your clothing by the pound as bulk rags for reprocessing into other materials. Thus, if you envision that a homeless person or some other needy individual will be provided with your old clothing, you are...unfortunately wrong in many cases.

Another of these hard-to-determine facts is that many of these so-called charities give little if any of the money from their rag reprocessing business to those who are needy. There have been several articles in the media over the years about clothing collection boxes that appear to be run by charities, but upon investigation, these "charities" are nothing of the kind.

As a result, I prefer to give directly to organizations that operate thrift stores and that run shelters and/or rehabilitation programs for the destitute, such as The Salvation Army, Goodwill Industries, and The Rescue Mission of Trenton. Unfortunately, The Salvation Army tends to be overly "picky" with furniture items, so I only give clothing to them. With furniture, I prefer to donate to The Rescue Mission of Trenton. I give most of my donations to Goodwill Industries, but these three organizations are all legitimate--which cannot be said for all of the organizations that go door-to-door for pickups and/or operate collection boxes.

And, one more reason to avoid those collections boxes is that you cannot obtain a receipt for your charitable donation. While I give VERY generously of both cash and material objects to charities each year, I am also careful to obtain receipts so that I can deduct reasonable amounts for each donation on my Federal 1040 form. If you don't know how much to deduct for each item, the back of the donation receipt from The Salvation Army provides the "acceptable" amounts for most classes of donated goods. There are also websites with this information, and you can locate them with a simple Google search.

Be selective with your donations.
Don't just dump your unwanted clothing into collection boxes, as you may only be providing raw material for a rag reprocessing business that gives no money to charity!

Last edited by Retriever; 12-05-2011 at 07:39 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 AM

You can also call Jim at "Feed All God's Children"

He runs a soup kitchen in downtown Freehold

732 299-8603

Old 12-05-2011, 09:41 AM

861 posts, read 2,709,219 times
Vietnam vets Association will come pick up clothes (or anything you want to donate) for free... you just schedule a delivery & leave it on your doorstep:
Free Clothing Donation Pick Up - Donate Clothes & Household Items

The Lupus Foundation does the same thing:
LUPUS FOUNDATION OF AMERICA - Household Goods Donation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey