U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 05:40 PM

610 posts, read 544,336 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to a city where it's cheap(er) to fly back and forth to Africa and the Caribbean, as part of an organization I just got involved with, than it is from the city where I live now (Colorado Springs). I'm originally from Chicago. I'm basically just researching every city that will fit my criteria, and I'll make a choice from there So, Newark looks to be one of those places. Can anybody tell me, are there a lot of Caribbean immigrants in Newark? What about African ones? Obviously, if not, I can just head over to NYC and find those communities there.

Is Newark cheaper to live in than NYC? What are some neighborhoods that aren't totally blighted, have a lot going on, and are bike-able?

Thanks,

Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 05:58 PM

3,986 posts, read 5,581,390 times
Well there are a lot of descendants of Africans in Newark.

I think Brooklyn has a large Caribbean population and you'd probably be better off there.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:37 PM

131 posts, read 216,571 times
There are tons of immigrants in Newark from the Caribbean and Africa. I've met quite a few in my work as a social worker in a dialysis center. Apparently some come to Newark to get better healthcare than in their country.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 PM

723 posts, read 740,082 times
There are many Caribbean people in the west and south wards of Newark if I am not mistaken. There's much more in the immediate suburbs (East Orange, Irvington, etc)

Old 05-03-2014, 08:33 AM

869 posts, read 1,128,158 times
Newark is pretty diverse, as others have mentioned, West and South Wards in particular are home to many immigrants.

That said, I don't think Newark is the city you are looking for. Most of the city isn't particularly bikeable or walkable, and it only has one light rail line and that doesn't run in the parts of the city you'd be most likely to find West African or Caribbean people. There are few amenities right now, though once the Whole Foods opens at least there will be a place to get good groceries downtown. Newark is also a bit expensive for what you actually get, most apartments are over $1000. I read your thread on the Philadelphia forum...I think that'd be a much better option. Philly is infinitely more bikeable and walkable that Newark, and you can get a decent apartment in a stable area for 850/month, and if you are willing to live in a grittier area, you could probably get a place for 650. That's not happening in North Jersey, even in Newark.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:05 AM

723 posts, read 740,082 times
When is that whole foods supposed to open?

Old 05-03-2014, 02:22 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
When is that whole foods supposed to open?
2016, according to this article from last October. Whole Foods Coming to Newark - WSJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or