Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,321 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I saw the sticky note that is kept and here are the answers to the questions so that we can have some ideas of where to stay in New Jersey:
Where are you coming from? Columbia, Missouri
Why are you moving? New Job
Where will you be working ? Newark downtown

Will you buy or rent? Rent for a year or two and then buy a house
What is your budget ? $1000 to $1500 for rent. Can go to $2000 for rent
What kind of place are you looking for ? preferably 2 bedroom apartment or a 1 bedroom apartment

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? spouse will move in after another year
Do you need/want good public schools? I will need good public schools

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

Here are the 3 things:

1. First and most important priority is safety
2. Diverse population, maybe some artsy places to visit in the evenings
3. families with young children

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

1. I would like to buy a house in a year or two with new construction
2. Safety is pretty important to me
3. Maybe it can be a area that will have avenues of outdoor activity

One thing i would like to add is, it would be great as long as there are public transit available pretty near.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 05:21 PM

400 posts, read 793,512 times
Towns with access to public transportation and rentals that you can afford and within a reasonable distance to Newark include (but are not limited to) Maplewood/South Orange, Millburn, Summit, New Providence, Madison, Chatham, Westfield, and Cranford. Also, Kenilworth, Roselle Park and Springfield may fit the bill

These all are safe areas to live. Some of these populations are more diverse than others; for example, Maplewood/South Orange, Roselle Park, Summit and Cranford may offer a bit more diversity. When it comes to outdoor activity, what do you mean? Are you interested in parks and/or a walkable downtown? If so, then most of these towns would fit you pretty well in that regard. Finally, you can find young families in all of these towns.

When it comes to schools, most of these towns have great schools. Springfield, Kenilworth, Maplewood/South Orange, and Roselle Park have good schools, though not "great."

However, if you are looking to buy in the town where you are renting, it may be a little tough. I encourage you to not base a town where you will rent based on where you may want to buy. Once you live here and start renting, you will know for sure which are will fit your family best. Also, although these towns have rentals you can afford, the price range for homes to buy vary greatly -- Millburn, for example, is very expensive, and Maplewood has crazy property taxes. Also, you may not find what you're looking for in some of the other towns when it comes time to buy.

All in all, when you look for a rental, don't base your decision about whether or not you will want to buy there in a couple of years. All of these towns are near each other -- you will be able to very easily drive through other towns to see what best fits you. The beauty of a rental is that you aren't locked down for very long in one place and you can move when the lease is up.

Hope this helps. =)

Old 05-02-2014, 06:51 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
You may also want to look at train and/or bus schedules at www.njtransit.com

Note that Newark's station is called Penn Station & the station in New York City (Manhattan) is also called Penn Station. So, don't let that confuse you.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:52 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
You may also want to look at train and/or bus schedules at www.njtransit.com

Note that Newark's station is called Penn Station & the station in New York City (Manhattan) is also called Penn Station. So, don't let that confuse you.
and there's another train station in Newark (Newark-Broad Street) that some lines go through instead of Newark Penn.

also, you will likely have to end up expanding beyond new construction when you look to buy -- relatively limited with places that meet your other criteria

Old 05-02-2014, 10:28 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
and there's another train station in Newark (Newark-Broad Street) that some lines go through instead of Newark Penn.

also, you will likely have to end up expanding beyond new construction when you look to buy -- relatively limited with places that meet your other criteria

Good reminder. I always forget about Broad St. because my train doesn't go through that stop.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:54 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
The towns recommended so far are good. I'd throw Montclair into the mix too. It should be easy to find a nice rental there. When you look to buy you may check out neighboring towns like Verona or Glen Ridge, both of which probably have very little rental inventory, but have excellent schools and nice homes. "New construction" isn't very common around these parts, unless you're into condos. If you can live with "newly renovated" you'll have more options.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:02 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasuray View Post
1. I would like to buy a house in a year or two with new construction
Single-family home new construction is $700K+

Old 05-03-2014, 02:43 PM

124 posts, read 149,612 times
Stay in MO. I'd move to KC if I was you. Much cheaper and much better QOL. You will be surprised how little you get for your money here. Just giving some realness.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:45 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
Single-family home new construction is $700K+
umm that depends on the town and location.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:45 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
umm that depends on the town and location.
Unless the OP wants to go down to south New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey