U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2014, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Where Sunday shopping is banned in the USA
336 posts, read 293,398 times
Reputation: 57

Advertisements

No thanks. I like being able to visit more states in shorter amount of time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2014, 08:40 AM
 
723 posts, read 737,834 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshflakes757 View Post
the biggest issue is that nj doesn't have a large and proud city of it's own (ct as well). All of the cities have been in decay for many years (newark, camden, patterson, atlantic city) and we rely on nyc and philly for our own identity.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania & New Jersey
1,462 posts, read 3,257,173 times
Reputation: 1533
My counter-post from years past:
Does New Jersey have a future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 10:56 AM
 
9,145 posts, read 13,334,282 times
Reputation: 9042
Philly is down enough on itself without being part of NJ. If NJ wants a decent city we should build one. Maybe we should do like Bloomberg and give unwanted residents one- way bus tickets to elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 11:04 AM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,542 posts, read 17,375,924 times
Reputation: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Philly is down enough on itself without being part of NJ. If NJ wants a decent city we should build one. Maybe we should do like Bloomberg and give unwanted residents one- way bus tickets to elsewhere.
that was Rudy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 11:06 AM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,542 posts, read 17,375,924 times
Reputation: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
The biggest issue is that NJ doesn't have a large and proud city of it's own (CT as well). All of the cities have been in decay for many years (Newark, Camden, Patterson, Atlantic City) and we rely on NYC and Philly for our own identity.
why is not having a "large and proud city" a big issue? PA has philly, but it's hardly something most of PA residents are proud of. Pittsburgh is recovering, and I love it there, but a lot of people don't. Lots of states don't have one large city that they associate with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania & New Jersey
1,462 posts, read 3,257,173 times
Reputation: 1533
Default Metropolis, New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
The biggest issue is that NJ doesn't have a large and proud city of it's own (CT as well). All of the cities have been in decay for many years (Newark, Camden, Patterson, Atlantic City) and we rely on NYC and Philly for our own identity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
why is not having a "large and proud city" a big issue? PA has philly, but it's hardly something most of PA residents are proud of. Pittsburgh is recovering, and I love it there, but a lot of people don't. Lots of states don't have one large city that they associate with.
We already have a very large city... it's just that political machines prevent it from being recognized because it is in the best interest of the politicians not to. It goes unrecognized because political subdivisions and keeping power are higher values.

More than 4.6 million people live in the eight counties of Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Union, Passaic, Morris, and Somerset combined. That's a large 'city' everywhere except political-land. Currently, 9 of New Jersey's 11 largest cities are in this Metropolis. Should they be one?

How big would this city be? This population would make it the second largest city in the USA!

Call it what you want... use the established 'Jersey City'. How about 'Metropolis'? Or use my personal favorite: 'Liberty City'. Any of the three would make a name to be proud of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 02:28 PM
 
9,145 posts, read 13,334,282 times
Reputation: 9042
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
More than 4.6 million people live in the eight counties of Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Union, Passaic, Morris, and Somerset combined. That's a large 'city' everywhere except political-land. Currently, 9 of New Jersey's 11 largest cities are in this Metropolis. Should they be one?

How big would this city be? This population would make it the second largest city in the USA!
As Lincoln noted, you can call a tail a leg but that don't make it so. What does someone in Western Morris county have to do with a Gutenberg resident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Holmdel, NJ
21,793 posts, read 27,680,026 times
Reputation: 13796
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
I do not like how New Jersey is the 4th smallest state in the US.
you ever think of moving to a bigger state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 03:45 PM
 
3,986 posts, read 5,574,846 times
Reputation: 2875
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
We already have a very large city... it's just that political machines prevent it from being recognized because it is in the best interest of the politicians not to. It goes unrecognized because political subdivisions and keeping power are higher values.

More than 4.6 million people live in the eight counties of Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Union, Passaic, Morris, and Somerset combined. That's a large 'city' everywhere except political-land. Currently, 9 of New Jersey's 11 largest cities are in this Metropolis. Should they be one?

How big would this city be? This population would make it the second largest city in the USA!

Call it what you want... use the established 'Jersey City'. How about 'Metropolis'? Or use my personal favorite: 'Liberty City'. Any of the three would make a name to be proud of.
I can name that ill-defined, mess of a city in 2 words...Los Angeles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top