Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:53 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Basically, instead of saying that you have 12 eggs, you now will call it a dozen(!!). By combining these towns/cities, does it really make it into a "major city"? Would it really make anything better or more attractive?
Well, an expanded tax base would certainly help the major cities. No one really thinks borough-itis has been a positive for the state, and a consolidation of administration and services would be good. Also, having so many separate towns distracts folks from the big picture because they're so focused on what's going on within their borders. Yes, most of the towns around in Newark are already integrated into an urban system with the city, but a wholesale incorporation would give the whole structure a bit more cache, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 01:58 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
Newark could at the very least integrate with the surrounding towns, Kearny, Harrison, Hillside, Irvington, Maplewood, the Oranges, Bloomfield, and Bellville are all so close and connected that they might as well be part of the city.
don't people move to the surrounding towns because they don't want to live in the city? expanding the city to include those towns cant be good for those people. they would then have to move further out or suffer the consequences of being a part of Newark.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:03 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Quote:
Well, an expanded tax base would certainly help the major cities. No one really thinks borough-itis has been a positive for the state, and a consolidation of administration and services would be good. Also, having so many separate towns distracts folks from the big picture because they're so focused on what's going on within their borders. Yes, most of the towns around in Newark are already integrated into an urban system with the city, but a wholesale incorporation would give the whole structure a bit more cache, in my opinion.
ah, more tax $$$ for the major cities. And what's in it for, say, Maplewood?

Old 05-07-2014, 02:21 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
ah, more tax $$$ for the major cities. And what's in it for, say, Maplewood?
sprawl is evil! its a bunch of white people keeping their money from the poor minorities living in the cities.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:03 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Newark could at the very least integrate with the surrounding towns, Kearny, Harrison, Hillside, Irvington, Maplewood, the Oranges, Bloomfield, and Bellville are all so close and connected that they might as well be part of the city. Jersey City could also incorporate with everything from Bayonne up to Fort Lee. That, coupled with migration back to urban cores, would give NJ two major cities. Weather further combining JC and Newark together would make sense...I'm not sure.
Here we go again. Essex County consolidation has been pushed on and off (mainly by Newark) for over 100 years. Only problem is there's no benefit to it except to Newark. At one point the Oranges considered a defensive consolidation to avoid annexation to Newark.

Hudson County consolidation has a similar long history, though it was partially successful.

And to address the captain's ha-ha only serious point, I assure you that the black residents of the wealthier parts of Essex would be among the strongest opponents of becoming part of Newark. Where do you think many of them came from?

Old 05-07-2014, 03:05 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
Hate to say it but Newark sh#t the bed over 40 yrs ago with the riots and never recovered.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:03 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Quote:
Basically, instead of saying that you have 12 eggs, you now will call it a dozen(!!). By combining these towns/cities, does it really make it into a "major city"? Would it really make anything better or more attractive?
Amalgamation helped Toronto become more attractive. Cities down south like Charlotte partially attribute their growth from learning from the mistakes of northern cities like Newark

Obviously many people (especially in NJ) won't like it but bourghitis did more harm than good for NJ

Old 05-07-2014, 05:22 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
So NJ doesn't have any big cities WHO THE HELL CARES! We have towns and let me tell you all. I have been to the top 10 most popular states in America (and then some) and guess what. NJ has the nicest towns in America hands down!
NJ doesn't have any interesting towns or cities. Sorry. Sure the towns are nice, they are far from any conversation centerpiece.

Plus, nobody likes when someone from Jersey goes on and on about growing up in quaint "small town" because why? THERE IS NO IDENTITY! One can sound like a savant when they go on about growing up in NJ.

At the end of the day, it's about LARGE CITIES. As I said, CT is in the same boat as well. At least MA has BOS and they are roughly the same size at NJ.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:45 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
You want consolidation so you can have a conversation centerpiece? That's one of the dumber reasons I've ever heard!

Old 05-07-2014, 06:45 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You want consolidation so you can have a conversation centerpiece? That's one of the dumber reasons I've ever heard!
I never said I wanted consolidation. Look who's the dummy now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey