Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:40 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not aware of how this crud from salt and dirt will impact something that may cost me money. im not aware of ever having damage from that that required repairs or that ive been hit when returning/selling a car due to damage from dirt/salt. so unless I see it in my wallet, then im not opening the wallet for washes. however, your recommendation of once a year (at least) is pretty conservative so its not like that would make a huge dent in my wallet.

They may not tell you salt is the cause, but that rust to parts underneath are vulnerable, as is the paint. Paint and some parts withstand it better than years ago, but still can do significant damage over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 12:28 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But why is that important? I can see if the car got REALLY dirty--like you were driving through the mud or something. But what exactly is the point of washing a car that gets ordinary use? It's an item that's kept outside (well, usually, except for the occasional car that's garage-kept). But it's used outside. It's going to get dirty. I don't think I've EVER noticed whether someone's car was shiny and clean or not.
I like keeping my exterior washed. Dirt on the paint causes scratching. Tiny scratches that, over time, will lead to rust. The various things that are kicked up from the road also can damage the metal parts on the undercarriage. I've had my TSX for nearly 10 years, and the paint still looks relatively brand new, save for what i like to call the ignorant-door-dings from parking lot cars of people who don't care about other people's property. Mostly, I wash it myself though because car washes cost a small fortune out here.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
im not aware of how this crud from salt and dirt will impact something that may cost me money. im not aware of ever having damage from that that required repairs or that ive been hit when returning/selling a car due to damage from dirt/salt. so unless I see it in my wallet, then im not opening the wallet for washes. however, your recommendation of once a year (at least) is pretty conservative so its not like that would make a huge dent in my wallet.
cars are better now because there's better paint, but it really would only have an impact on you if you held on to a car long enough. certain brands are known to break down more quickly than others. it's just a prevention step. doesn't mean it would have happened though if you never washed your car.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:53 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
the longest ive ever owned a car was 9 years. I never washed it and it lived through many harsh winters. when I got rid of it, it didn't have any rust. even where is was keyed like nuts on my hood by some jerk, 5 years or so after the keying there was still no rust.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:14 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times
People wash their cars for the same reason people power wash their homes---so that they look nice

Old 05-06-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
the longest ive ever owned a car was 9 years. I never washed it and it lived through many harsh winters. when I got rid of it, it didn't have any rust. even where is was keyed like nuts on my hood by some jerk, 5 years or so after the keying there was still no rust.
like i said - it's not guaranteed to happen. but for the miniscule cost of the water, a spong, and some soap, i think it's a worthwhile preventive measure. like i said my acura is coming up on 10 years old, 118,000 miles. my subaru is only 4 yrs old and 70,000 miles. i'm keeping them as long as we can. so i want to deal with as few issues as possible.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:49 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm, that does make sense. Do all car washes clean the underside or do you have to ask for that?

What's funny is that I have a car wash within walking distance of my house. Not that anyone would need to walk to a car wash, but I cannot go anywhere without driving past it, and I've never gone there.
As Winter Soldier said, it's an option. I usually get the basic wash with a couple of extras. Sometimes I'm lucky and go when the deluxe wash is on sale. That includes the undercarriage blast, extra vac, and a host of other goodies.

I probably should, but I don't care about the paint or having a car that looks good to others. I do care about salt damage. If you don't clean the salt and mud from under your car, you'll be looking at very expensive repairs.

I recently inherited my mother's 1996 Geo Prizm. The engine is in terrific shape. All of the rubbery parts need to be replaced: a belt, hoses, gaskets, seals. That's pocket change. The jack points and engine mounts are failing due to rust. I could never make her understand the value of a good wash. If she'd only taken it to the car wash a few times a year, I might not be forced to deal with this mess now.

I don't have a favorite place. I go to the one by the supermarket or the one by the building center.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:42 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
Tough crowd here.
I get mine washed a few times a year. I particularly love when they clean the interior- there are 2 places near me one is in Hamilton on rt 33 and one in East Windsor on rt 130 I think they are called Neoglide. Anyway they are same owner and they really do a very nice job.
Like I said, maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:29 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
It's too late to edit my post. I just asked my son about the under body wash. He said that it's standard, comes with any wash in a newer place.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:33 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Tough crowd here.
I get mine washed a few times a year. I particularly love when they clean the interior- there are 2 places near me one is in Hamilton on rt 33 and one in East Windsor on rt 130 I think they are called Neoglide. Anyway they are same owner and they really do a very nice job.
Like I said, maybe 3 or 4 times a year.
Aw, but we're fun.

I really don't care much what my car looks like/if it's clean on the exterior, etc., but cleaning the stuff off from underneath makes sense for keeping the car in good condition. Maybe on my next walk I'll glide over to see how much it costs. I know this place sends coupons in the mail, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey