U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 01:47 PM

12,542 posts, read 17,732,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
BradyKP, you are just a Jersey apologist. Everything is perfect, nothing should be criticized. Most would think otherwise. Prove to me that ridership is down at 1am on the weekends. I'd love to see your stats because you are dead wrong. Enjoy living with your head under a rock.

Halffull, you just sit at home and follow my posts just to be a contrarian. I'm glad I can excite you in your constant struggle of boredom. But for all intents and purposes, you are a still a f-ing idiot.

My point is if your rent is SIGNIFICANTLY lower outside Hoboken, I would think it would be cheaper to live there than paying through the nose in Hoboken itself. I would think that the math you present could completely depend on the individual itself (ever hear of loopholes?) It's not as cut and dry as you think. I used Bushwick as an example, because a lot of young people are moving there to avoid paying such high rents that Hoboken has capitalized on. The same story goes throughout the metropolitan area.

And calling "Bushwick" a crime ridden ghetto? Are you for real? That's like saying Hoboken will give a baby cancer because of the former factories that resided there. Then what in the hell do you call Jersey City?
I actually have a lot of issues with NJ and spent most of my life making fun of NJ for various reasons. I definitely don't think everything is perfect and nothing should be criticized.

As for late night ridership, I don't have actual statistics, i'm sure they are out there somewhere, but a quick google wasn't successful for me and i really don't care that deeply about it. I was speaking about what I saw with my own eyes on my many nights in and out of the city. i would have liked a more frequent train. every 6 minutes during rush hour is fantastic. every 30 minutes late at night is not, especially when i had just missed one. i got pretty good at timing leaving a bar or wherever i was in the city though.

I'd love to see your stats though too. My guess is you don't have any actual facts to back up your claims that it should be more frequent.

again to the OP - Hoboken is a great place to live. It's gotten more expensive, but it's still a value compared to virtually anywhere in NYC that you would even remotely consider. Great daycare options as well, as the number of young families has grown immensely (a great yahoo group called hobokenmoms will provide you valuable answers to any parent related questions you may have).

In Hoboken, for what you would typically pay in NYC (often, for less), you'll not just get an apartment, you'll get an elevator building, a washer/dryer in your unit, more updated apartments, likely more square feet, and in many cases, a garaged parking space. you can easily save a decent chunk of change by picking a building in hoboken that doesn't have a parking space and elevator.

And, back to your original question - commute to Midtown East is simple and easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 01:49 PM

4,074 posts, read 7,047,420 times
Quote:
Oh cool -- a beat down by a troller and a new user! Whoa!

And what about your role in this conversation? Oh that's right, you are a troll who jumped on because he's bored.

Thanks for reinforcing my point.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:50 PM

12,542 posts, read 17,732,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicobellic View Post
Wow. Is explaining your own statement really that complicated?
Nico - here's the answer to your question:

How much will I save on taxes if I live in NJ over NY?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:52 PM

2,100 posts, read 2,757,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I actually have a lot of issues with NJ and spent most of my life making fun of NJ for various reasons. I definitely don't think everything is perfect and nothing should be criticized.

As for late night ridership, I don't have actual statistics, i'm sure they are out there somewhere, but a quick google wasn't successful for me and i really don't care that deeply about it. I was speaking about what I saw with my own eyes on my many nights in and out of the city. i would have liked a more frequent train. every 6 minutes during rush hour is fantastic. every 30 minutes late at night is not, especially when i had just missed one. i got pretty good at timing leaving a bar or wherever i was in the city though.

I'd love to see your stats though too. My guess is you don't have any actual facts to back up your claims that it should be more frequent.

again to the OP - Hoboken is a great place to live. It's gotten more expensive, but it's still a value compared to virtually anywhere in NYC that you would even remotely consider. Great daycare options as well, as the number of young families has grown immensely (a great yahoo group called hobokenmoms will provide you valuable answers to any parent related questions you may have).

In Hoboken, for what you would typically pay in NYC (often, for less), you'll not just get an apartment, you'll get an elevator building, a washer/dryer in your unit, more updated apartments, likely more square feet, and in many cases, a garaged parking space. you can easily save a decent chunk of change by picking a building in hoboken that doesn't have a parking space and elevator.

And, back to your original question - commute to Midtown East is simple and easy.
Well agree to disagree again. Hoboken IS NOT a great place to live. It's expensive, run down, has horrible infrastructure, no parking, bad weather, and surly people. At the end of the day it's a gentrified ex-factory town that has turned into a post college bubble. OK to visit for a few days? Sure. To live there? I've done it and feel it's not worth it.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:52 PM

4,074 posts, read 7,047,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Nico - here's the answer to your question:

How much will I save on taxes if I live in NJ over NY?

methinks nico knows the answer already, but maybe another poster will learn something.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:53 PM

121 posts, read 130,423 times
Quote:
What makes Bushwick such a ghetto?
And don't worry. I will not evade your questions.

> Median household income: Hoboken 121k, Bushwick 28k
> Children born to poverty: Hoboken 20%, Bushwick 75%
> Poverty rates: Hoboken 13%, Bushwick 32%
> Violent crimes per 1000 residents: Hoboken 2.97, Bushwick 6.26

Yes, anyone interested in Hoboken should certainly put Bushwick on the comparison list.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
methinks nico knows the answer already, but maybe another poster will learn something.
Methinks you a worthless, trolling, stupid idiot. When will you learn that?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicobellic View Post
And don't worry. I will not evade your questions.

> Median household income: Hoboken 121k, Bushwick 28k
> Children born to poverty: Hoboken 20%, Bushwick 75%
> Poverty rates: Hoboken 13%, Bushwick 32%
> Violent crimes per 1000 residents: Hoboken 2.97, Bushwick 6.26

Yes, anyone interested in Hoboken should certainly put Bushwick on the comparison list.
Source? I was using Bushwick as an example for young people. But the poverty rate of 13% in Hoboken? Should a young family choose to raise their kid their over the burbs?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Yup - I do

It was fun getting a non-answer though.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Source? I was using Bushwick as an example for young people. But the poverty rate of 13% in Hoboken? Should a young family choose to raise their kid their over the burbs?
Only broke your couples would want to go to Bushwick. OP did not claim to be a broke young couple.

Here is what OP said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutey16 View Post
My husband and I are seriously considering moving to Hoboken to be closer to our family in NJ and also for more space (we have a baby). We both work in midtown east and were wondering how good/bad the commute is from Hoboken.
They are coming from Manhattan which has an 18% poverty rate. Hoboken is an improvement.

So basically you have been posting without any regard to OP's question. What is the point of doing that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey