U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Gup Gup started this thread

115 posts, read 102,563 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple, 30s, and currently live in Jersey City. Recently, we both got new jobs and are looking to move closer to work.

One will be working close to Rutgers in New Brunswick, while the other is in Staten Island close to the Staten Island University Hospital. No kids, but soon.

We are looking to rent for the time being and would like a place that is a reasonable commute to both places, and is safe. I'd also like to live where there are restaurants, coffee shops, areas to walk about. You know, cute, hip neighborhood type things. Not being walkable isn't a dealbreaker. I guess I just want to live in a place where there are things to do- again not a dealbreaker, but would be nice. We are thinking to try out a town that we can possibly buy a house in down the road.

The obligatory questionnaire :

Where are you coming from? Jersey City, NJ
Why are you moving? New jobs
Where will you be working ? As mentioned above

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? Up to 3K
What kind of place are you looking for ? Min 2br, 2bath, have a little puppy, garage, washer/dryer in house

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse and small pet
Do you need/want good public schools? Nice to have, but no kids yet

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in;
Safety, things to do, decent supermarkets (i.e. whole foods, etc)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance
1. Safety
2. Commute
3. Groceries/shopping/culture

What towns should we consider ?

Is renting (and, eventually, buying ) in Staten Island a good idea?

Thank you for your input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 06:51 PM

5,327 posts, read 12,362,889 times
For starters most people will advise to avoid living on an island. Some people can hack it but I usually find that those are people who have lived there forever and aren't used to living "properly" on the mainland.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 PM

@captne76 - thank you for the response. I wasn't aware of such prejudice against an island, but I am glad to hear your viewpoint.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:15 PM

400 posts, read 567,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gup View Post
We are a young couple, 30s, and currently live in Jersey City. Recently, we both got new jobs and are looking to move closer to work.

One will be working close to Rutgers in New Brunswick, while the other is in Staten Island close to the Staten Island University Hospital. No kids, but soon.

We are looking to rent for the time being and would like a place that is a reasonable commute to both places, and is safe. I'd also like to live where there are restaurants, coffee shops, areas to walk about. You know, cute, hip neighborhood type things. Not being walkable isn't a dealbreaker. I guess I just want to live in a place where there are things to do- again not a dealbreaker, but would be nice. We are thinking to try out a town that we can possibly buy a house in down the road.

The obligatory questionnaire :

Where are you coming from? Jersey City, NJ
Why are you moving? New jobs
Where will you be working ? As mentioned above

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? Up to 3K
What kind of place are you looking for ? Min 2br, 2bath, have a little puppy, garage, washer/dryer in house

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse and small pet
Do you need/want good public schools? Nice to have, but no kids yet

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in;
Safety, things to do, decent supermarkets (i.e. whole foods, etc)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance
1. Safety
2. Commute
3. Groceries/shopping/culture

What towns should we consider ?

Is renting (and, eventually, buying ) in Staten Island a good idea?

Thank you for your input.
The first town that comes to mind is Cranford. Since it's right off of parkway, it gives pretty easy access to New Brunswick, and you can go through Elizabeth or parkway to get to Staten Island. On paper (aka with no traffic) it's 25-30 minutes away from both places -- I'm not sure how much time it would take with traffic, though.

But, it hits everything on you list, including places to rent in your budget. I'm personally a big fan of the downtown there, and I know it's safe.

Sidenote -- Just looked at the time it would take to get to the hospital in SI and it was more like 35-40 minutes, with out traffic. Just food for thought...

Old 05-07-2014, 07:15 PM

880 posts, read 1,176,142 times
Metuchen is about halfway between your two job locales, and has a little downtown village, nothing to big but better that a complete sprawl town. Very family-friendly and good schools too, I think.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:24 PM

6,272 posts, read 15,526,617 times
Metuchen is the first place that came to my mind too. Easy commute, cute town, good schools. Not sure what's available in your budget there but I think it's a good place to start your search.

You might try Red Bank too. A little longer commute but nice downtown and more removed from the city and north jersey if you want that.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:35 PM

798 posts, read 795,158 times
maybe Woodbridge or Edison too

Old 05-07-2014, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I should mention that I may have to travel a bit in SI on days. One of the locations is around the SI hospital and the other is around Great Kills in SI. So, some days will be at one location, and other days will be the subsequent.

@samanthayakobchuk's - We were actually looking at Cranford today online! What a coincidence! Anyways, they have this property there called Cranford Crossings or something to that extent on the river. Looks nice....what are your thoughts on the commute into SI daily (esp the location around Great Kills)? Comparing Goethals to Outerbridge - which one will offer an easier commute into and out of SI daily?

@njhighlands and lammius - thank you for mentioning Metuchen. I looked it up and it appears to be a quaint town surrounded by Edison. I am curious whether there are apartments/townhouses for rent available with adequate parking. I snooped around and did not find much, but houses for rent.

@908Boi - Edison is quite large. Any areas you recommend over the others? Is Woodbridge comparable to Metuchen?

Thanks again everyone.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:53 AM

3,984 posts, read 5,704,821 times
Highland Park just across the river from New Brunswick.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:19 AM

6,272 posts, read 15,526,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gup View Post
Thanks for the replies!

I should mention that I may have to travel a bit in SI on days. One of the locations is around the SI hospital and the other is around Great Kills in SI. So, some days will be at one location, and other days will be the subsequent.

@samanthayakobchuk's - We were actually looking at Cranford today online! What a coincidence! Anyways, they have this property there called Cranford Crossings or something to that extent on the river. Looks nice....what are your thoughts on the commute into SI daily (esp the location around Great Kills)? Comparing Goethals to Outerbridge - which one will offer an easier commute into and out of SI daily?

@njhighlands and lammius - thank you for mentioning Metuchen. I looked it up and it appears to be a quaint town surrounded by Edison. I am curious whether there are apartments/townhouses for rent available with adequate parking. I snooped around and did not find much, but houses for rent.

@908Boi - Edison is quite large. Any areas you recommend over the others? Is Woodbridge comparable to Metuchen?

Thanks again everyone.
I assumed by your first post that you were looking to rent a house. Apartments and townhouses are not as common in Metuchen as some of the other towns mentioned. A quick search on trulia, zillow, or cragislist might turn up some listings for you though. There are a few townhouse developments close to the train station.

Edison has more apartment communities.

Cranford is a good suggestion too. But be careful about flood zones (true anywhere in NJ, but especially Cranford)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey