Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:17 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,245,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
It just is hilarious how folks leave a place 10 YEARS AGO and can come back and still have something to say about JC and then try to make their county seem like it's the most protected area in the world.

As I stated before and will keep stating, JC is just that a city, just like NY, LA, Chi-Town. They all have their problem areas and they have good areas. Folks need to stop bashing an entire city because THEY don't like it.

I'm a former NY'er, born and raised and now I reside in JCH and let me just say I lived in the best and the worst neighborhoods in NYC. Folks are too dang parnoid. There's some great areas in JC just have to do your research.

Check out your area, speak to some of the neighbors, do YOUR OWN RESEARCH because I've noticed once someone mentions JC here all the naysayers come out yelling, hooping and hollering to stay away. Hilarious I swear.
What you say is true, and what I've been saying on this board for years.

It's a very suburban mentality that, when one hears of lots of crimes in any given city, they automatically assume that that particular city is crime ridden. Why? Because true suburbanites live, and have typically always lived, in a small, suburban town which A) doesn't have too many different neighborhoods, and B) is obviously safer than any real city. So to suburbanites, when they hear of an awful crime, or many crimes, in a city (Jersey City, for example), they cannot wrap their head around the fact that a city is a city of neighborhoods. There are really, really bad areas, and really, really nice areas, in almost any city. Your typical suburbanite just identifies a crime with the whole city ... because these people hail from small towns and have likley never lived in a city.

Hope my ramblings make sense?

For example, on a daily (and I mean DAILY) basis, I hear about awful crimes committed in the Greenville section of Jersey City. Does it concern me? As a human, my heart goes out to victims, of course. But does it affect me? No, not really at all. The Greenville neighborhood is miles away from where I live. It affects me just as much as the ugly crimes committed in Newark affect the wealthy people in the beautiful suburb of Livingston, NJ. Livingston is only a few miles away from Newark, but worlds away in terms of environment.

The gentrified Downtown neighborhoods in Jersey City are finally becoming "discovered" by many outsiders, but still a lot of people are "surprised" when they see how nice, clean, beautiful, and quiet my neighborhood is. It's a beautiful, well-kept, brownstone neighborhood. Crime is really, really low in my neighborhood when compared to other cities. People always say, "I can't believe how nice Jersey City is!". Whereupon, I say, "Yes, this neighborhood is extremely nice ... but don't forget, there are some very crummy areas of JC as well".

Think Upper East Side, Manhattan. Cream of the crop, right? Then think Brownsville, Brooklyn. Same city. Only a few miles away, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 10:36 AM

87 posts, read 180,372 times
i don think jc is a good place at all .i went there for a family reunion in early august and someone broke in to my car

Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 AM

what part of jc is considered greenville .is garner ave in that area

Old 09-11-2009, 10:53 AM

^^ LOL, you just proved my point, tnice83. You "don't think JC is nice at all", because of one experience. Too funny. Read my post above yours.

You can't judge an ENTIRE CITY based on one experience, in one neighborhood, which isn't even a very nice neighborhood.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnice83 View Post
i don think jc is a good place at all .i went there for a family reunion in early august and someone broke in to my car
FYI, I've had my car broken into in the suburbs.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:04 AM

13,373 posts, read 28,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

Very valid point Tommy
I live in Lk Hopatcong..nice area yet we have had over the last two years countless home break ins during the day and car breakins...of course attributed to the local druggie scumos but break ins none the less.

Downtown is nice so are many of the blocks by Lincoln Park between Westside and the Kennedy

Old 09-11-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
listen i have lived in the the suburbs and in the city .i currently lived in washington . so your post means notthing to me i have experienced good in bad in the suburbs and the city . so i hope you understand my point allitle bettee !lol

Old 09-11-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Very valid point Tommy
I live in Lk Hopatcong..nice area yet we have had over the last two years countless home break ins during the day and car breakins...of course attributed to the local druggie scumos but break ins none the less.

Downtown is nice so are many of the blocks by Lincoln Park between Westside and the Kennedy
thats where my car got broken in to in that area lol

Old 09-11-2009, 02:32 PM

412 posts, read 1,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnice83 View Post

Hell you car can be broken into on the Upper West Side of New York or anywhere within the U.S.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
Hell you car can be broken into on the Upper West Side of New York or anywhere within the U.S.
obviously you people dont get what im saying i know my car could of gotten broken into any where but my point it happened in jc not any where else .if you guys thing that a great place to live thats fine with me .that is just not a place i would choose to live . That one incident wont stop me from going there .but i just wanted to make a point .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey