Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 01:53 AM

10 posts, read 12,104 times

Advertisements

Hello, i am moving to us. of America and i was looking at Paramus and Franklin Lakes since i have family friends near these towns and they recommend. can anyone tell me how these towns are?

Last edited by isreaI8; 05-15-2014 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: sorry for the late night message, its almost 11 here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 02:27 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isreaI8 View Post
Hello, i am moving to us. of America and i was looking at Paramus and Franklin Lakes since i have family friends near these towns and they recommend. can anyone tell me how these towns are?
Firstly, welcome to NJ! In order to give you suggestions and information that is truly useful and relevant to your specific needs, we really need some additional information from you. Please see the sticky at the top of this forum, Questions For Future and Potential Residents and provide us with your answers to the questions. We very much are in need of info such what your work location is, your housing budget, and housing needs, what you consider a reasonable commute, will you have a car, or be relying on mass transit. I have every confidence that once we have your answers to the questions posed in the sticky, you will receive many helpful responses. This forum is filled with many knowledgeable, helpful people who are more than happy to share their experience, and expertise with people considering moving to this area.

In general both towns you mentioned are nice family areas. Paramus is more congested, (almost city like) filled with shopping malls and Franklin Lakes is more rural and spread out. Paramus is more middle class and Franklin Lakes more upper middle to upper class demographically. The more we know about what you are wanting in a new home town, the better we will be able to make suggestions and recommendations of specific areas to look into that will suit your needs/wants. Since you are coming from Israel, I am assuming you are Jewish and would be wanting a synagog close by as well as kosher grocery stores and restaurants, and you will find those in both towns. You will have more variety/choices available in Paramus, as the area is more densely populated. In most all of northern NJ you will find a strong Jewish community, though in some areas you will find more kosher stores and restaurants then others.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 05-15-2014, 04:11 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Answers will depend on where you'll be working, do you have children, what it your rental budget?

Please give us more info so that we can answer helpfully.

Welcome to NJ.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:12 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Very expensive. Pack lots of shekels.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:11 PM

Thanks guys for such a quick response! these forums work quicker then i thought, though i am jewish, i do not require kosher food at home, so i can shop at any grocery store? i would like a temple close to my home as i would like to keep going every friday and saturday.
Where are you coming from? Israel
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working ? North New Jersey

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? 8-10k
What kind of place are you looking for ? a place i can call my home

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Wife, 1: 5 year old . another one probably next year
Do you need/want good public schools? not sure if public or private (jewish)

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Im interested in an area that is not too populated and one that i dont have to worry about my young ones. preferably with a lot of grass area.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
1. good neighborhood/Safe
2. temple is a must.
3. lots of grass/house area.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:23 AM

400 posts, read 793,221 times
Quote:
Thanks guys for such a quick response! these forums work quicker then i thought, though i am jewish, i do not require kosher food at home, so i can shop at any grocery store? i would like a temple close to my home as i would like to keep going every friday and saturday.
Where are you coming from? Israel
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working ? North New Jersey

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? 8-10k
What kind of place are you looking for ? a place i can call my home

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Wife, 1: 5 year old . another one probably next year
Do you need/want good public schools? not sure if public or private (jewish)

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Im interested in an area that is not too populated and one that i dont have to worry about my young ones. preferably with a lot of grass area.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
1. good neighborhood/Safe
2. temple is a must.
3. lots of grass/house area.

Well, you have a nice budget and there are many many homes that you can afford. I just checked the MLS and found only three rentals in the towns that you mentioned. Now, I don't know too much about those towns, but how far of a commute were you looking? I'd recommend Summit, Short Hills, and Livingston (about 40 minutes from the towns you mentioned). Also, are you looking to walk to the temple, as many of the conservative Jewish people I know do, or would you consider driving, like the more reformed ones I know who do?

Old 05-16-2014, 08:43 AM

What is the MLS? i have not herd of this. and though those towns are 40 minutes away, they are too far for me. im interested in moving to Bergen county. and yes i would be walking to the temple.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:46 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,348 times
Is that budget of 8-10k a month or per year?

Old 05-16-2014, 09:09 AM

400 posts, read 793,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoapie View Post
Is that budget of 8-10k a month or per year?
This always slips my mind. That's a great point.
If the budget is 8-10k a year, it won't go very far at all.

And I apologize for my use of acronyms (I'm so used to using them). MLS stands for "multiple listing service" which is basically the one stop shop for homes in the area, accessible only by licensed realtors.

I figured it might be too far, but it would have been worth the mention. I recommend finding a realtor who specializes in international relocation in Bergen County when it actually comes time to visit and eventually move here.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:54 AM

12 posts, read 11,659 times
you should deff. check out bergen county, it has large jewish community. i also know that Fair Lawn has an Israeli scouts program which my daughters are in. Its not only for fair lawn residents though, there are people from closter, franklin lakes...etc and they speak hebrew and its a great community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey