Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 AM

48 posts, read 139,100 times

Advertisements

I hope that's true, maybe I'll take my Bonnie Blue flag and head to NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post
NJ is not a terrible place but the problem with NJ is the taxes and the poor spending of tax dollars. The existing freeway system is outdated and needs to be updated. NJ is home to me but I moved to NC and love it. Its safe say that the South has risen again

Old 11-17-2009, 12:00 PM

20 posts, read 46,418 times
Hey Sfabian,

I am in San Francisco right now. Spent most of my life in Florida, but was born in NY. I have no desire to ever live in Florida again. It's just not for me.

I like the proximity of NJ. NY, Phili, D.C., Boston -- all a train ride away. I'm a little bummed that you think NJ is a "big nothing." I've been there several times and have done a ton of research on the area. Blueberry fields, rivers, mountains, beaches, etc. There are farmer's markets galore with fresh produce. You can be in the middle of nowhere in nature and then 30 minutes later be in Atlantic City. For an adventurous girl like myself, I don't think that's a whole lot of nothing.

"It sounds like your not in Fla. now but given a choice I'd opt to transition back to Fla. It's such a pretty place to be and you have family there (sunshine all year round also is great) NJ is a big nothing. Being close to Philadephia is nothing to feel good about. Philadelphia is just a slum. If you really like the northeast then why not just move directly to NYC or one of its boroughs. Most NJ residents become day trippers commuting to NYC anyway."

Old 11-17-2009, 04:04 PM

367 posts, read 956,545 times
Default New Jersey! You think it all sucks?

All ? No, just most of it.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:54 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,870,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfabian View Post
Remember, NJ's state song is a bruce springsteen jingle. Can't NJ do better than that? I came down the shore because it was a cheap place to exist (that what NJ is: just an existence). Who wants to be a pine-y permanently?. North Jersey is cancer alley and South Jersey is a big nothing-just a pigmy pine forest. I know mindless creatures who have deluded themselves in thinking that when they moved down the shore, they moved to a different climate. It snows down the shore just like the rest of the north east. A/C is the epitome of mindlessness- gambling vice built around a city that looks like a third world african slum.

Face it alot of NJ residents don't have the foresight or the cocktail onions to explore other places Like they just fell off a cabbage truck they stay. What's bizarre is why all these leisure village senior communities have sprung up all over the shore. It's still cold in the winter and who wants to be in a cold climate (living on a slab) all year round when you get older? I lived in many areas of Jersey so I have the right to evaluate it as a life style. Union, Hudson, Middlesex, Ocean counties etc. they're all played out. NJ sucks the blood out of you by incorporating the school tax in your RE taxes. Screw that, why are public school employees so immune and buffered from economy? It's a scam and as a NJ homeowner you have no choice. In NY school taxes are not part of the RE taxes and RE taxes in the five boroughs are extremely low. Can NJ compete with a Stuyvesant High? So what are you really getting for your school tax dollars in NJ? Alot of nothing, just wasting gas, time and feeling like an out of it daytripper parasitely feeding off the NYC economy.
First of all, NJ does NOT fee off of the NYC economy, it CONTRIBUTES to it. Most people in NJ work in NJ (at least for South Jersey, I only live part time in North Jersey for college so I'm not too framilier)

Second of all, the shore and bay areas DO have a different climate than other parts of the state and it snows there considerably less. Why? Because they're near the ocean which keeps those towns slightly cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Just check the temperatures for a town in the center of NJ (as in between the Delaware and the Ocean) VS a town down the shore. I live in Vineland (30 min to A.C. and the Delaware Bay, 45-60 min to PHilly & Cape May) and we rarely get snow because of our proximity to the Delaware Bay. If you look at snow fall maps you'll notice a little "bump" over Vineland showing how snow always just passes us. Trust me on the snow fall, I graduated high school two years ago and remember praying for snow days and then being jealous of my friends who went other schools.

Third, The Pine Barrens are a marvelous and spectacular place (I should know, I've spent may an hour wandering through the pines) and are home to Cranberry bogs, swamps, and many forms of wildlife. Some of the swamps are amazingly surreal looking. Also, there's A LOT of farms in Southern N.J. Hammonton is the "Blue Berry Capital of the World". There's also many beautiful marshes and beaches, especially LBI and Cape May County beaches (I've never been to North Jersey beaches exept for one trip to Sandy Hooke around night time)

Fourth, most people stay where they started.

Last edited by jknic; 11-17-2009 at 05:05 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 06:53 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,241,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
First of all, NJ does NOT fee off of the NYC economy, it CONTRIBUTES to it. Most people in NJ work in NJ (at least for South Jersey, I only live part time in North Jersey for college so I'm not too framilier)

Second of all, the shore and bay areas DO have a different climate than other parts of the state and it snows there considerably less. Why? Because they're near the ocean which keeps those towns slightly cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Just check the temperatures for a town in the center of NJ (as in between the Delaware and the Ocean) VS a town down the shore. I live in Vineland (30 min to A.C. and the Delaware Bay, 45-60 min to PHilly & Cape May) and we rarely get snow because of our proximity to the Delaware Bay. If you look at snow fall maps you'll notice a little "bump" over Vineland showing how snow always just passes us. Trust me on the snow fall, I graduated high school two years ago and remember praying for snow days and then being jealous of my friends who went other schools.

Third, The Pine Barrens are a marvelous and spectacular place (I should know, I've spent may an hour wandering through the pines) and are home to Cranberry bogs, swamps, and many forms of wildlife. Some of the swamps are amazingly surreal looking. Also, there's A LOT of farms in Southern N.J. Hammonton is the "Blue Berry Capital of the World". There's also many beautiful marshes and beaches, especially LBI and Cape May County beaches (I've never been to North Jersey beaches exept for one trip to Sandy Hooke around night time)

Fourth, most people stay where they started.
North Jersey has beaches?

Old 11-17-2009, 07:18 PM

7 posts, read 17,803 times
I don't mean to get off topic here, but many young people from NYC are moving to NJ. It's not because we don't love NYC, we do, it's because we simply cannot afford to buy a house and raise a family here. Single family homes in the boroughs are ridiculously expensive, and are only affordable to those who are upper class. The middle class is almost always stuck in apartments which are cramped and uncomfortable. We don't get yards to play in or BBQ in, and we get to pay a lot of extra money just to get a parking space.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:27 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,870,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
North Jersey has beaches?
Sry I meant "Central Jersey"

To me me North Jersey was everything Toms River/Mercer County and North. Then I went to college in North Jersey (Newark) and came to the conclusion that there are three Jerseys

North
Extends to just North of New Brunswick and encompasses Sussex, Bergan, Passaic, Union, Essex, Warren, Hunterdon, and Mercer Counties.

Central (a mythical land you can only get to by going there with someone who's been there before)
Begins just north of Mercer County and includes, Middlesex, Summerset, Momouth, and Ocean Counties

South

Begins Just South of Mercer County and Toms River (look at the Camden Roman Catholic Diocese) and encompasses Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Atlantic, Salem, Cumberland (my home county!!), and Cape May

sorry for the tangent there

Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 26,197 times
TOO BAD you have high taxes, farmers are being driven out, business is being driven out, I agree it is beautiful with so much history too bad it is being inaccurately taught in the crappy schools here. Great place to visit but...

Old 11-17-2009, 08:52 PM

593 posts, read 1,655,287 times
Well, all I gotta say is that if you want people to be all up in your business without even asking, come over here. If you're an introvert like me who isn't used to having people focus on you and what you do, come live here. It's really scary and sad at the same time. It's not even cause people are paranoid such as myself where they study their environment. There's seems to be a lot of people that just love to mind everybody's business BUT their own.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:55 PM

195 posts, read 489,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Well, all I gotta say is that if you want people to be all up in your business without even asking, come over here. If you're an introvert like me who isn't used to having people focus on you and what you do, come live here. It's really scary and sad at the same time. It's not even cause people are paranoid such as myself where they study their environment. There's seems to be a lot of people that just love to mind everybody's business BUT their own.
The busybody syndrome, I too have noticed this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey