U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 08:39 AM

123 posts, read 364,480 times

Advertisements

Just saw a flyer for the Rutgers Summer Reading program and was wondering if anyone has experience with this program. Do you feel it was worth it (over $250)? Did it help your child?

I have a struggling reader who has made great progress this year but I feel a little extra support during the summer would be great.

Can anyone suggest a good reading support program for the summer a a community college or something similar to the Rutgers program? Also any thoughts if you on Kaplan or Sylvan if you have used them.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 08:58 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,280,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBIGstep View Post
Just saw a flyer for the Rutgers Summer Reading program and was wondering if anyone has experience with this program. Do you feel it was worth it (over $250)? Did it help your child?

I have a struggling reader who has made great progress this year but I feel a little extra support during the summer would be great.

Can anyone suggest a good reading support program for the summer a a community college or something similar to the Rutgers program? Also any thoughts if you on Kaplan or Sylvan if you have used them.

Thanks so much!
I received it and looked at the price. It maybe better to pay someone to tutor. Their prices are $329 + $39 book fees which is $368 for 5 sessions only.

I was paying a private home tutor for $60/hr to come to my house twice a week for 1.5 months and the cost saving is that the tutor comes over instead of having to take my kids outside.

I don't think the summer reading program is bad but it seems short. Kids forget really quickly and you need to have atleast twice a week for 4-5 weeks straight to see any progress.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:31 AM

123 posts, read 364,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I received it and looked at the price. It maybe better to pay someone to tutor. Their prices are $329 + $39 book fees which is $368 for 5 sessions only.

I was paying a private home tutor for $60/hr to come to my house twice a week for 1.5 months and the cost saving is that the tutor comes over instead of having to take my kids outside.

I don't think the summer reading program is bad but it seems short. Kids forget really quickly and you need to have atleast twice a week for 4-5 weeks straight to see any progress.

Thanks for your input. I felt it was costly and once a week seemed short as well. Can you suggest an materials that would be supportive. I feel twice a week maybe a better option but I have not found a program yet. Did you try Kaplan or Sylvan? Thanks so much for the mention about a tutor at home. How did you find your private tutor? Thx again for your reply.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBIGstep View Post
Thanks for your input. I felt it was costly and once a week seemed short as well. Can you suggest an materials that would be supportive. I feel twice a week maybe a better option but I have not found a program yet. Did you try Kaplan or Sylvan? Thanks so much for the mention about a tutor at home. How did you find your private tutor? Thx again for your reply.
If your child has problem maintaining attention or just not picking up on learning then you might want to hire a tutor. I don't think at this age they need a certain program or material they need a bit of pressure and some TLC. The tutor needs to keep them focused and not lose attention, in a classroom setting there's a chance for your child to lose focus such as looking at other kids or exploration.

If you can get your child personal tutoring and allow them to follow the tutor's lead they will absorb any material.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,352 times
We did the Rutgers Reading Program for PreK (entering KIndergarten) last year and I have mixed feelings about it. The program was on weekend mornings, so the time was perfect for us. They gave us some materials (DVD, workbook etc.) During the class the teacher used to go through a very specific format. They read a book to the kids, asked kids questions around the book that was read and got the kids involved in enacting or talking about the story they just read (the activity varied with each class). I did not find it very useful, specially for the kind of price we paid. Please let me know if you have any particular question.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinkinghat View Post
We did the Rutgers Reading Program for PreK (entering KIndergarten) last year and I have mixed feelings about it. The program was on weekend mornings, so the time was perfect for us. They gave us some materials (DVD, workbook etc.) During the class the teacher used to go through a very specific format. They read a book to the kids, asked kids questions around the book that was read and got the kids involved in enacting or talking about the story they just read (the activity varied with each class). I did not find it very useful, specially for the kind of price we paid. Please let me know if you have any particular question.
I was wondering about the program now it's certain, thanks for the info.

There are some other kids academy that may offer better reading assistance. I'm happy with my personal tutor that I hired.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:02 AM

99 posts, read 249,393 times
I did the program with my daughter before she entered kindergarten. I found it more helpful for me then for her! Because we have to attend with them, it was my first foray at seeing how my child interacts in a class environment. It made me feel better in knowing that she was progressing and an active participant. I learned tricks to keep her interested in books, etc. I don't know if it was worth it overall but for me, it helped calm me and teach me how to work with her.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 6,189 times
I did the summer reading program with my daughter last year for Pre-K going into Kindergarten and it was a complete waste. For the amount of money paid the teacher really did nothing but tell the parents all the work we had to do with our child during the week. My daughter was not reading any better at the end as to when she started. She is now in kindergarten reading books no problem but I attribute it to her kindergarten teacher and us reading to/with her at home. Personally I would skip this program and just push reading at home and you can very easily look up strategies online to help you as the parent. Total waste of money and time.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 6,189 times
Default Do not waste your money

I did this program with my daughter last summer and it was a complete waste of money. The instructor basically instructs the parents how to do the course at home with their kids. There is little to no instruction for the students in class. My daughter is now finishing kindergarten and is reading very well and it is because her kindergarten teacher did a great job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey