Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:36 PM

874 posts, read 3,679,414 times

Advertisements

I really don't think this post was intended for racial offense. Sister just wants to find a Black Hair salon..simple. No pun intended, i'm sure. Why does everything have to be a black or white issue all the time? Get a grip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 12:37 PM

874 posts, read 3,679,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Oh I know what it means.

Besides I know people who were actually born in Africa that take offense when someone refers to them as African-American.

Ok...back to the topic unless someone wants to start a new one regarding this.

Have a nice day.
What are you talking about?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,238 times
i need someone who can cut hair into a real style. i have short hair and can not find a salon who can get it right. what happened to stylist who can cut hair and not just put in weaves. i live in bergen county, nj. thanks

Old 02-18-2009, 08:33 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Does anyone know of any good African American Beauty salons in Northern NJ???
Please do not recommend any in downtown Paterson because I have found they are simply hair stylists and having my hair abused by having a small tooth comb raked through my once thick hair is not amusing at all. After 10 years of that I am ready to move on

I usually go to Dominicans but I think I want to get a sewn in weave to give my hair a much needed break (and to grow it back!!!)
Any honest and genuine suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
when was the last time a hair salon was segregated in New Jersey? never! it's about quality, not race. am I right?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:39 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
when was the last time a hair salon was segregated in New Jersey? never! it's about quality, not race. am I right?
Never? You have got to be kidding me.

I could never walk into, say, your average Italian barber and get into a chair and expect to get a haircut. The only place more segregated than barbershops are churches.

The vast majority of white men and women who style hair cannot do a thing with black hair. As you may have noticed, black hair and white hair are quite different in texture..........

Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishP7 View Post
I really don't think this post was intended for racial offense. Sister just wants to find a Black Hair salon..simple.
Exactly. The longer I frequent this site, the more I realize.....................
And this is not limited to just NJ.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:59 AM

403 posts, read 1,190,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
Go visit a barbershop in East Orange and then go visit a barbershop in Cedar Grove then come back and ask this question again.

You're partially correct that it's about quality but when it comes to hair then race definitely plays a factor. Also understand that for African Americans a barbershop/beauty salon is not just a place to get your hair done but it's also a social center. If you've ever seen the movie "Barbershop" you'd understand this. Just like Cedric said in the movie it's like our own country club.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:33 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Go visit a barbershop in East Orange and then go visit a barbershop in Cedar Grove then come back and ask this question again.

You're partially correct that it's about quality but when it comes to hair then race definitely plays a factor. Also understand that for African Americans a barbershop/beauty salon is not just a place to get your hair done but it's also a social center. If you've ever seen the movie "Barbershop" you'd understand this. Just like Cedric said in the movie it's like our own country club.
come to think of it... I have never seen a black guy get his hair cut at the place I got to. i think a barber shop... or a salon is a social place for everyone, regardless of whatever the races of the people inside are. the rich white women go into the salon and read cosmo magazine while they have that giant space helmet thing over their head and she tells everyone about the party shes having on Saturday and Mildred isn't invited... i love the Somerset Hills area

Old 02-25-2009, 03:16 PM

5 posts, read 23,093 times
Did anyone ever find one in Bergen County? I'm a new transplant and I went to a place today in West Orange. I got a perm, trim and rinse and it was $190. Is that typical? If so, there's got to be a place closer where I don't have to shell out that much money plus drive 35 minutes????

Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Oh I know what it means.

Besides I know people who were actually born in Africa that take offense when someone refers to them as African-American.

Ok...back to the topic unless someone wants to start a new one regarding this.

Have a nice day.
People born in Africa, are not African-American, they are African, the beginning of all civilization.

Dutch, born in Africa are known as Afrikaners.

"We", are all of African descent..

Google: History Channel, Beginning of Man

Sligogirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey