U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 12:54 AM

10 posts, read 127,958 times

Advertisements

I'll be working at McGuire AFB and need to settle down in a city nearby. I know Trenton and Philadelphia are the bigger cities near the base and I need to live in a city since I'm not a fan of small towns.

What cities or part of cities should I consider?

I would also like to buy a single family home for under 175k if possible. I'd like to buy a home and not a condo or a townhome. Is this possible? I don't have kids so schools aren't a big issue, but I would like a three bedroom home.

Help me out. Pointers are welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 07:48 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,294,268 times
Challenging question... No small towns, hmmm? McGuire AFB is located in the north-eastern part of Burlington County. That puts you into the middle of NJ. About an hour to Philly, 1-1/2 hrs to NYC + the same for Atlantic City.

There are some nice larger towns in the area, but I wouldn't classify them as a city environment. Actually some of my favorite New Jersey towns are approximately a half an hour's drive to McGuire, such as Mt. Holly, Rancocas Woods, Moorestown... Again, not city-like in atmosphere at all.

You'll need to do some exploring, and definitely get with a professional in that area who can help you find a home as close to what you have in mind as possible.

Hey, you can always visit Philly and NYC on the weekends! It might be alot for a daily commute, but they are within a reasonable drive for a day off. You are also just an hour's drive to the beach from McGuire AFB. Good luck to you!

Old 10-27-2006, 09:01 AM

3,314 posts, read 12,255,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie2002 View Post
I'll be working at McGuire AFB and need to settle down in a city nearby. I know Trenton and Philadelphia are the bigger cities near the base and I need to live in a city since I'm not a fan of small towns.

What cities or part of cities should I consider?

I would also like to buy a single family home for under 175k if possible. I'd like to buy a home and not a condo or a townhome. Is this possible? I don't have kids so schools aren't a big issue, but I would like a three bedroom home.

Help me out. Pointers are welcomed.
Just be prepared for the onslaught on why you shouldn't move to New Jersey by certain posters even though you stated you came here to work at McGuire. Like ADREAM said that is challenging, the only big cities in the area are Philly and Trenton. What do you consider a "BIG CITY", and what are you looking for in the big city environment? I would think the 175K house price is going to severely limit your choices. Don't forget to visit The Mastoris Restaurant (intersection of hwys. 130 and 206) which is a quick drive from the base for "perhaps" the best Prime Rib diner in NJ. Get there early because there are times that I've gone and they ran out.

Last edited by exhdo1; 10-27-2006 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-27-2006, 09:53 AM

Can someone tell me where most people stationed at McGuire and Ft Dix live? It seems like I might have to settle for a small town.

P.S. I'd define a city at a population of 50k plus.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:02 AM

3,314 posts, read 12,255,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie2002 View Post
Can someone tell me where most people stationed at McGuire and Ft Dix live? It seems like I might have to settle for a small town.

P.S. I'd define a city at a population of 50k plus.
I would bet that most live in the surrounding towns. Wrightstown, Browns Mills, New Egypt, Sykesville, Jobstown, Pemberton and Cookstown to name a few. Philly and Trenton do have more than 50K residents but none of these towns I mentioned even come close. You can try doing a search on Willingboro, NJ. The population is around 30K but I don't know what it has to offer. Once again the sticking point will be a home for 175K in a nice area.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:16 PM

14 posts, read 90,400 times
Hello from an AF veteran!!!

Willingboro, Maple Shade, Pemberton might be in your 175k budget, but not 'Inner City" urban. Everything west of 295/NJ Tpk is pretty urbanized. You might can even find a decent home in Philly for that price, if you are willing to drive about 45 mins. to work. Just stay away from certain parts of Trenton and definitely stay away from Camden. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:04 AM

Thanks to those who answered, I now have a much better idea of the area. Yet, I have a question, as far as traffic and driving times. How long would it take from 1. Trenton to McGuire and 2. from the closest part of Phili to McGuire?

Old 10-28-2006, 06:28 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,094,329 times
The only places your going to find a house remotely close to McGuire for $175k are some of the rundown areas of Trenton and Camden. Unless you're allowed to wear your flak jacket home and borrow an M-16 every night, I'd advise strongly against either.

To get into a house that you'd feel safe in, you're looking at a minimum of $250k, with $300k being far more realistic. Is there someone at the base that can provide assistance with your move? While I'm not familiar with the military, I find it hard to believe that they shuffle people all over the world and don't provide any assistance in finding a place to live in your new area.

Bob

Old 10-28-2006, 06:37 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,294,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD Survivor View Post
Just stay away from certain parts of Trenton and definitely stay away from Camden. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The only places your going to find a house remotely close to McGuire for $175k are some of the rundown areas of Trenton and Camden. Unless you're allowed to wear your flak jacket home and borrow an M-16 every night, I'd advise strongly against either. Bob
Good idea to mention that!!!

Old 10-28-2006, 10:17 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,535,186 times
Good luck on your move!

175 seems a little low...any chance you could try to bump it up to 225K, seems like you will get a better home from what I see on the net.

Might want to try calling the housing office there, they can usually help a little, if not then well at least you tried LOL! Some are helpful, some are not. If all else fails, call your boss and ask if he/she has any pointers. Most have been in the area awhile and are happy to help you settle in your new area. That is what we have found the last 10 years at least.

Are you going civil service or AD?

DH's coworker is moving to the base sometime next year. I guess him and his wife are looking north of the base?? Might want to see what gates are open and when, b/c there is an army base right south and the navy base east of that. Might be of some issue when you househunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey