Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,651 times

Advertisements

I recently contemplated taking a job opportunity in Morristown. I would prefer to live on the New Jersey side of the Hudson across from Manhattan. What is the commute like and which city along the Hudson on the NJ side would it be easiest to live in for commuting to Morristown purposes?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 01:38 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah0424 View Post
I recently contemplated taking a job opportunity in Morristown. I would prefer to live on the New Jersey side of the Hudson across from Manhattan. What is the commute like and which city along the Hudson on the NJ side would it be easiest to live in for commuting to Morristown purposes?

Thanks in advance!
The easiest commute from the Hudson River area across from Manhattan to Morristown would be from Hoboken, where it is a one seat train ride of a little over an hour. (~1hr 10 min, 1hr 15 min)That being said, this may not work for you, as many employers with a Morristown address are not located within walkable distance to the train station. You also should note that the train commute will be expensive, and housing prices are steep in Hoboken. Parking is a huge problem in Hoboken, as well as expensive. An added worry is the bad flooding issues in parts of Hoboken. (google for more info) I have to say, I understand you want to be able to access all NYC has to offer, but since you're going to be spending 5 days a week in Morristown at work, why not live there, and then take the train into the city on weekends? I makes much more sense.

From the other river-side towns, (Jersey City, Weehawken, Union City, etc. ) you're be looking at a short light rail ride and transferring to NJT in Hoboken, or if you are near a PATH station, you can take the PATH to Newark and then transfer trains to Morristown. Both of which is more than a small PITA in my opinion.

KoalaNJ

Old 06-25-2014, 02:01 PM

882 posts, read 1,669,709 times
Morristown is a bit cheaper and has better parking than the gold coast cities, and its downtown offers many amenities such as bars, restaurants, fitness clubs, shops, and supermarkets.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:17 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Strange that you put bars first and didn't even mention schools. Morristown school system is far better than Hoboken, JC, etc.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:22 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Will you commute by car or train?

Old 06-25-2014, 07:03 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Strange that you put bars first and didn't even mention schools. Morristown school system is far better than Hoboken, JC, etc.
Why is that strange? The OP didn't say anything about children.

Anyway, if the OP wants to commute by train, Hoboken is the best choice, since it's a one-seat ride. If the job isn't close to the Morristown train station, you might be better off driving. Jersey City is probably the easiest place to drive from (hop on Route 78 to Route 24). Fort Lee might not be awful via Route 80 to 287, but I don't know how traffic is on that route everyday.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
In terms of Commute time:

For driving Fort Lee is a bit better than WNY/Union City is a bit better than Hoboken but the differences are not substantial enough that they should drive your decision. For public transit see other posts.

Since the commute shouldn't be your deciding factor (feel free to ignore the remainder of the post if you already know the area).

Fort Lee: Suburb with high-rises tossed in.
WNY under the cliffs: luxury waterfront apartments and the kind of retail that people who live in luxury waterfront apartments want.
WNY above the cliffs and Union City: low-rise but ultra dense area populated mainly with poor Spanish-speaking immigrants with near constant buses into and out of the city.
Hoboken: chunk of Murray Hill (part of Manhattan know for it's fratty inhabitants) on the wrong (right?) side of the river.

Another way of looking at it:

High budget?
Value a nicer apartment and area (retail & physical appearance) more?
WNY (or bordering towns) under the cliffs
Value having a bar scene locally and the train to the city and Morristown more?
Hoboken
Low Budget?
Value easier driving and the general suburban amenities (more greenery, effectively nonexistent crime, etc.) more?
Fort Lee
Value walkability and ease of getting into and out of the city outside of commuting hours (especially late at night) more?
Union City or WNY above the cliffs

Old 06-25-2014, 08:18 PM

882 posts, read 1,669,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post

Anyway, if the OP wants to commute by train, Hoboken is the best choice, since it's a one-seat ride. If the job isn't close to the Morristown train station, you might be better off driving. Jersey City is probably the easiest place to drive from (hop on Route 78 to Route 24). Fort Lee might not be awful via Route 80 to 287, but I don't know how traffic is on that route everyday.
I would advise against any commute involving the 80-287 interchange. The area is frequently bumper to bumper during mid-afternoon, and even worse at rush hour.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:32 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post

And the OP didn't mention anything about drinking.

80-287 - omg, the worst traffic at all times of the day and night. I haven't been there in the last two years but I had never gotten on either of those highways when it wasn't really bad traffic even out in the Morristown area.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:57 PM

256 posts, read 572,753 times
I live in JC and work in Morristown. Driving could be 30 min to 1 hr depending on the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey