Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 06:38 PM

15 posts, read 37,070 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if the Browns Mill area has any sign of coming back. Rode through there today and was sad to see all the vacant homes and homes in dis-repair. Mirror Lake especially. This area has so much potential. The lake is beautiful and huge and the nice part is that none of the homes are built directly on the lake. Some homes on the side streets have views even though the views are small not many places offer that. Usually homes block all views except for those right on the lake.
You do not need money to clean up your yards. Such a shame prime property. Plus most of those lots are on decent plots of land. Would love to get some feedback....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 06:37 AM

32,775 posts, read 36,008,478 times
Browns Mills has been declining for years, decades, and I doubt it's going to get better any time soon... or ever.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:05 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,137,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Browns Mills has been declining for years, decades, and I doubt it's going to get better any time soon... or ever.
The last time that I was in Browns Mills was sometime in the '70s, and it was already a depressed, dumpy place at that time. Has it actually gotten worse?

Old 07-01-2014, 11:45 AM

32,775 posts, read 36,008,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The last time that I was in Browns Mills was sometime in the '70s, and it was already a depressed, dumpy place at that time. Has it actually gotten worse?

I first set eyes on Browns Mills in the '90s. It was a dumpy, depressed area. While I haven't been there in years, it seems as though it has gotten worse. There's an active [domain blocked due to spam] discussion--2007 to present--about the town. I forwarded it via direct message to the original poster.

*I didn't include a link to the site. It rhymes with Bopix.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 PM

23,324 posts, read 17,008,770 times
the 'war of the worlds' took place in Brown's Mills and they never recovered.

Looks like a great op to buy land, build a nice house, enjoy the area and low taxes.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
the 'war of the worlds' took place in Brown's Mills and they never recovered.

Looks like a great op to buy land, build a nice house, enjoy the area and low taxes.

Nope!
That was Grover's Mill.

When I consider that Browns Mills has been both economically depressed and depressing to look at for at least 40 years, I question why anyone would want to build "a nice house" there.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:32 PM

10,016 posts, read 6,614,882 times
Who the H would want to live in Brown Mills.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:28 AM

15 posts, read 37,070 times
With the cost of living in this state I can see this happening in many more places in NJ. It's sad. We decided to look elsewhere. Thank you everyone for your input. Have a great day everyone!

Old 07-02-2014, 09:44 AM

Looking at Browns Mills--which has historically been both economically-depressed and depressing to look at--and conflating conditions there with conditions in other suburban or rural areas of the state is not necessarily a valid conclusion.

I can recall looking at new homes in Browns Mills, sometime back in the late '60s or early '70s, simply because they seemed to be priced so low. As soon as I set foot in the model home and I felt the floor "give" and reverberate as I walked my (then) 140 lb body around the house, this was very revealing regarding the quality of construction. Further inspection revealed housing that only somebody really desperate (or naïve) would be likely to buy.

As I drove around the town, all I could think of was...My God...How depressing a place!

So, about 45 years ago, I observed a town with a stagnant economy, badly-deteriorated housing stock, and construction of a few badly-constructed new homes. Clearly, nothing has improved in over 4 decades, and conditions may well have gotten worse in Browns Mills. This stands in stark contrast to most suburban and rural areas of NJ.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey