U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 50,288 times
Question Commuting to NYC/WallStreet from Old Bridge

My husband and I are in the process of buying a house in Old Bridge and I found a NJ Transit Bus that leaves from Browntown (Old Bridge), which is a 5 minute drive from the house and will drop me off across the street from my office (Bowling Green).
Does anyone else take this bus (NJTransit #134)? If so, where in God's name do you park to get to the bus stop, or does everyone happen to get dropped off at the stop? I really would much rather take this bus than have to train it into NY Penn and take another train downtown. The costs and convenience of this bus are much more appealing.

Please help

Elena Z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 03:06 PM

687 posts, read 2,139,324 times
I know next to nothing about buses to the city.

BUT, you wouldn't take the train to NY Penn. You'd get off in Newark , and then take the PATH downtown.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:30 AM

Thanks Juliann1977, do you happen to know what the ballpark monthly cost and travel time is for the train & path?

Old 12-18-2007, 06:15 AM

687 posts, read 2,139,324 times
From Aberdeen/Matawan the pass is right around $300, but that is to NY Penn--not sure what the price difference would be to Newark. From South Amboy, it is slightly less. Parking at the SA lot is easier than at A/M, and less expensive. MY DH paid $40 a month at SA, and he is now paying $60 at A/M, but for a private lot. (The city lots have very long waiting lists.)

The PATH is $1.50 per ride.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:51 AM

362 posts, read 495,714 times
I used to take wall st bus from Old Bridge Park and Ride (near wal-mart). You will get daily parking at the park-n-ride area for ~ $2/day.

The bus is very convenient if you start early in the morning (say b4 6:30 A.M). If you hit 7 A.M, you might get stuck in the tunnel and there after all the way to wall st. That is why I stopped taking the bus.

How did you narrow down on Old Bridge? I am asking because I am trying to select few locations for my purchase.

Good luck.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:17 PM

I didn't realize there was another bus to Wall Street that left from The Old Bridge Park & Ride!! What bus Route # is it? I would have no problem doing that instead.

When we started looking for areas close enough to Staten Island (where we live now and still have relatives), without outrageous taxes (only 6K for the one we're buying), with beautiful older homes, accessibility to all major roads and NYC, a great school district for children (someday) and a really nice neighborhood that we felt safe, comfortable and at home in......all roads pointed to Old Bridge for us.

Everyone looks for something different but we fell in love with Old Bridge, Sayerwood South in particular.

Good Luck!

Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 AM

The bus from Old bridge Park-n-Ride on Rt 9 for wall St is operated by Academy. I guess there are few from NJ Transit as well (not sure though). You can check it out from the park-n-ride office.

When I used to take the bus, it used to cost me around $175/month. Not sure what it is now (might be around $230?).

Can you please give me some details about the house you bought? Like bedroom/bath/lot size/garage/years/road name etc? (no compulsion though)

How was your experience with your agent? Mind sharing his/her name and contact details?

Thanks

Old 12-19-2007, 08:07 PM

4,910 posts, read 5,966,483 times
You should contact NJ Transit on this, as there are a number of buses that leave from the park-and-ride on Route 9 north.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
The bus from Old bridge Park-n-Ride on Rt 9 for wall St is operated by Academy. I guess there are few from NJ Transit as well (not sure though). You can check it out from the park-n-ride office.

When I used to take the bus, it used to cost me around $175/month. Not sure what it is now (might be around $230?).

Can you please give me some details about the house you bought? Like bedroom/bath/lot size/garage/years/road name etc? (no compulsion though)

How was your experience with your agent? Mind sharing his/her name and contact details?

Thanks
Thanks Delphi!

I found the Academy bust you mentioned (it's $245 now) and it does seem to work well for me, my only concern is that Old Bridge is the last or the next to last stop along Route 9 before entering NY and there might not be space on the bus at that point, no matter though, I can work my way on or wait for the next one.

Now, the house...
4 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, 100w by 160d, 1 car garage, built in 1967?, in the Arbors, AND in this market we were able to get the house for under 400K!!

Our Realtor is beyond amazing and probably one of the friendliest people I have EVER met, we highly recommend her. She is NOT pushy or greedy or any of the usual salesperson/realtor types that you find out there with her customers, but she is a bulldog FOR you. Her name is Keri Zoumas from Weichert Realtors and her office # is 732-247-7800 ext 125 (I sound like a commercial, don't I?). Tell her that Elena and Tom Z. recommended you and she'll be thrilled!

Good luck and thanks again to all!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:53 AM

Thanks Elena for all the information. Later let me know how your commute to wall st going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey