Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:02 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Maybe this is a sign that the people in the prosecutors office are under qualified for the job? Maybe that is part of the reason our justice system is so screwed up? The smart lawyers all go to the private sector, leaving a bunch of dumb lawyers who only THINK they are smart because they graduated law school.
Your comments are as stupid, as saying that any physicians who do research or work for charities are dumb, because the smart lawyers all go into private practice.
In Essex, the top job of Prosecutor is a political football. Competency is not the main criteria. I don't know if that's the case with the current Acting Prosecutor.
On one hand:
"A c/u/m laude graduate of Georgetown University, Murray received her law degree from New York University School of Law. In 1987, Murray joined the law firm of Tompkins, McGuire & Wachenfeld in Newark. The following year, she joined the Essex Prosecutor’s Office as an Assistant Prosecutor. She joined the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Newark in 1995 and was later promoted to Chief of the Public Prosecution Unit, before returning to ECPO".
OTOH, she rode on the coattails of Paula Dow, so sycophancy played a role, as well.
Some previous prosecutors did not fare well:
Former Essex County Prosecutor Clifford Minor disbarred by NJ Supreme Court | NJ.com
Ex-Essex County Prosecutor running for Montclair Council, Turner pulls packet - News - NorthJersey.com
Hurt was forced out not long after accusing a state trooper of racism for stopping her speeding car on the GSP. An investigation showed that other drivers had called 911 to complain about her car's use of emergency lights & weaving through traffic at high speed. Video of the stop showed the trooper acted professionally. IIRC, the driver was a female detective, who was living with Hurt, and they were racing to the beach in AC in swimwear.

Last edited by bigjake54; 08-16-2014 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 06:21 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Your comments are as stupid, as saying that any physicians who do research or work for charities are dumb, because the smart lawyers all go into private practice.
In Essex, the top job of Prosecutor is a political football. Competency is not the main criteria. I don't know if that's the case with the current Acting Prosecutor.
On one hand:
"A c/u/m laude graduate of Georgetown University, Murray received her law degree from New York University School of Law. In 1987, Murray joined the law firm of Tompkins, McGuire & Wachenfeld in Newark. The following year, she joined the Essex Prosecutor’s Office as an Assistant Prosecutor. She joined the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Newark in 1995 and was later promoted to Chief of the Public Prosecution Unit, before returning to ECPO".
OTOH, she rode on the coattails of Paula Dow, so sycophancy played a role, as well.
Some previous prosecutors did not fare well:
Former Essex County Prosecutor Clifford Minor disbarred by NJ Supreme Court | NJ.com
Ex-Essex County Prosecutor running for Montclair Council, Turner pulls packet - News - NorthJersey.com
Hurt was forced out not long after accusing a state trooper of racism for stopping her speeding car on the GSP. An investigation showed that other drivers had called 911 to complain about her car's use of emergency lights & weaving through traffic at high speed. Video of the stop showed the trooper acted professionally. IIRC, the driver was a female detective, who was living with Hurt, and they were racing to the beach in AC in swimwear.
No it's not as "stupid" because you are making the statement out of thin air, while I am citing a specific example to back up my statement. Either way, I was angry when I posted that. To restate it, this particular incident showed very poor judgement on several fronts. It was handled poorly. I just hope that it is not typical of their work. If it is, maybe they should find a new line of work.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:
this particular incident showed very poor judgement on several fronts. It was handled poorly. I just hope that it is not typical of their work. If it is, maybe they should find a new line of work.
"Lawyers' mistakes wind up in jail, doctors bury theirs."
How Many Die From Medical Mistakes in U.S. Hospitals? - ProPublica
How many anesthesiologists with blood on their hands find a new line of work?
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/772616
"70% of American anesthesiologists have experienced an intraoperative death during their careers ... Intraoperative Catastrophe Reported by Almost 90%"

Old 08-18-2014, 04:16 AM

Quote:
"Lawyers' mistakes wind up in jail, doctors bury theirs."
How Many Die From Medical Mistakes in U.S. Hospitals? - ProPublica
How many anesthesiologists with blood on their hands find a new line of work?
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/772616
"70% of American anesthesiologists have experienced an intraoperative death during their careers ... Intraoperative Catastrophe Reported by Almost 90%"
Silly argument. Death doesn't equal mistake. Most deaths in the OR aren't due to a poor judgement. Any anesthesiologist who has ever worked in a trauma center has had to bring patients into surgery who he/she knows stand a very slim chance of coming out alive. It is still better than the 0% chance they stand if they don't go into surgery at all. Other patients have anaphylaxis, myocardial infarctions, pulmonary emboli, and a whole host of reasons for dying that are out of the doctor's control.

The case I cited was completely created by the prosecutor's office. If there was a death that was caused by a doctor's intent to deceive, I wouldn't be on here defending the doctor. Whatever happens to him/her is well deserved. So why are you so vehemently defending the prosecutor's office when they are clearly in the wrong?

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 08-18-2014 at 04:25 AM..

Old 08-18-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
If there was a death that was caused by a doctor's intent to deceive, I wouldn't be on here defending the doctor.
You'd be silent. If you commented about a surgeon, you'd be shunned.
Quote:
Whatever happens to him/her is well deserved. So why are you so vehemently defending the prosecutor's office when they are clearly in the wrong?
I'm not defending her at all. I criticized your ridiculous assertions in post #130.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
You'd be silent. If you commented about a surgeon, you'd be shunned.

I'm not defending her at all. I criticized your ridiculous assertions in post #130.
You have been defending her the whole time, but that's beside the point. This is not what this thread is supposed to be about. Let's move on.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
You have been defending her the whole time
Nonsense. Show me where!
Quote:
but that's beside the point. This is not what this thread is supposed to be about. Let's move on.
Of course. Just stop taking potshots at prosecutors. Be happy that they're not suing you for malpractice.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Nonsense. Show me where!

Of course. Just stop taking potshots at prosecutors. Be happy that they're not suing you for malpractice.
This is getting more and more juvenile by the moment.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
This is getting more and more juvenile by the moment.
You keep trying to have the last word.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:16 AM

Shame he crapped himself, instead of resisting:
Accused killer says Livingston teen's murder was 'vengeance' against U.S. | NJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey