Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:35 PM

44 posts, read 61,805 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the continued input. The train to NY will never be an option for me - I'll bus it over the train any day of the week. I've done the commute from the Towers in East Brunswick to NY for 3 years (before I moved) and traffic was rarely an issue on the NJTP (at least compared to all the train service delay bs).

I will be working near Times Square so I'd take the 8A Park and Ride if I move to Monroe, and the East Brunswick Transportation Center of I move to Manalapan/Marlboro.

Why stay away from Manalapan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
But if u want my honest opinion your really looking in the wrong areas generally. The top of my list would look like this;

Plainsboro
Cranbury
South Brunswick
East Brunswick

Then;
Metuchen
Marlboro
Monroe
Sure all of your top 4 are great, but I'm not paying $15k/year on property tax for a $500k home

Old 10-30-2014, 09:29 PM

901 posts, read 2,247,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basexc9 View Post
Sure all of your top 4 are great, but I'm not paying $15k/year on property tax for a $500k home
125 Parker Rd, Plainsboro, NJ 08536 is For Sale - Zillow
This ones taxes is 10k
183 N Main St, Cranbury, NJ 08512 is For Sale - Zillow
This ones taxes 12k
Welcome to NJ
The good areas are gonna cost you.

Why here or Cranbury or East Brunswick of South Brunswick vrs Manalapan

The reason is simple it's #1 location (desirability)
And #2 supply and demand

If you want to live in a great area with great schools in a great neighborhood face the facts it's going to be expensive. It's NJ. Face the facts or just continue renting.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:34 PM

If u go Cranbury just make sure you're in the Cranbury/Princeton/Plainsboro sending district and not East Windsor or Monroe. Big difference.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:40 PM

35 Crenshaw Ct, Monroe Township, NJ 08831 is For Sale - Zillow
This one in Monroe taxes 11.5k. Really about the same.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:41 PM

One of the main reasons also to stay away from Manalapan and Marlboro would be the Rt 9 commute issues

Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,532 times
Quote:
35 Crenshaw Ct, Monroe Township, NJ 08831 is For Sale - Zillow
This one in Monroe taxes 11.5k. Really about the same.
This is a Sr living place, and the taxes are 13k??

Old 10-31-2014, 09:51 AM

414 posts, read 296,280 times
The Turnpike just opened up the new lanes, which double the capacity Northbound now and Southbound in December. That makes the 8A bus terminal a better option, in terms of traffic backups (or lack thereof, hopefully). Further south, the Hamilton area will give you a better tax situation, and the train station has ample parking. I take the train from there whenever I go to NYC into Penn. The new double-decker cars are quite nice. As far as schools go, I grew up in Hamilton, but attended private schools from grades K-8, so I can't opine on that portion.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
125 Parker Rd, Plainsboro, NJ 08536 is For Sale - Zillow
This ones taxes is 10k
183 N Main St, Cranbury, NJ 08512 is For Sale - Zillow
This ones taxes 12k
Welcome to NJ
The good areas are gonna cost you.

Why here or Cranbury or East Brunswick of South Brunswick vrs Manalapan

The reason is simple it's #1 location (desirability)
And #2 supply and demand

If you want to live in a great area with great schools in a great neighborhood face the facts it's going to be expensive. It's NJ. Face the facts or just continue renting.
Thanks for the input - already checked out those locations and crossed them off the list for other reasons. It's also rare to find something around $10k in taxes in those towns in my price range.

Route 9 traffic is bad, but Route 1 traffic is worse (all of those towns go thru Rt 1). I lived in Franklin Park and Freehold so I can attest to it.

Sure - those towns are desireable (I don't think I would say East/South Brunswick is very desireable though..), but the difference isn't high enough to justify the increased taxes IMO.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion99 View Post
The Turnpike just opened up the new lanes, which double the capacity Northbound now and Southbound in December. That makes the 8A bus terminal a better option, in terms of traffic backups (or lack thereof, hopefully). Further south, the Hamilton area will give you a better tax situation, and the train station has ample parking. I take the train from there whenever I go to NYC into Penn. The new double-decker cars are quite nice. As far as schools go, I grew up in Hamilton, but attended private schools from grades K-8, so I can't opine on that portion.
Great to see they finally finished the TP construction - weren't they also adding another exit?

I don't see the train as an option simply because Penn Station is too far south from where I'll be working (I'm a 5 min walk from Port Authority).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey