Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:02 AM

184 posts, read 315,983 times

Advertisements

Where I live is weird, Ho Ho Kus is not known for flooding but due to proximity to the Ho Ho Kus brook most houses are in a 1/100 flood zone. So far, 7 houses have been removed through LOMA's and another 8 are pending. So we are basically all leaving the flood zone. I havent noticed a negative stigma from being in a flood zone though, and houses in HHK seem to fly off the market, so I guess it is very town dependent as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 11:55 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,444,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
If I was buying in a flood zone I would make sure I could dock a boat in my backyard and be able to take a swim every now and then. I wouldn't buy in a flood zone in a dried up old riverbed or creek. But everyone is different and I have to agree with Marc.

Worst idea I ever heard. I have a few nieghbors who had boats in their backyard when Sandy hit and backyard was fenced in and boat rose up smashed their windows and doors then broke through fence and damaged neighbors homes and got sued. Boats up on cinder blocks in backyards in flood zones are a bit of a nightmare.

People dont mind paying for flood insurance in a beach town. If you are no where near the beach and just have a house in a plain old town that is low lying people do not want that house.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:56 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,444,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops1981 View Post
Where I live is weird, Ho Ho Kus is not known for flooding but due to proximity to the Ho Ho Kus brook most houses are in a 1/100 flood zone. So far, 7 houses have been removed through LOMA's and another 8 are pending. So we are basically all leaving the flood zone. I havent noticed a negative stigma from being in a flood zone though, and houses in HHK seem to fly off the market, so I guess it is very town dependent as well.

EVERY house is in a flood zone. You can get removed from having to buy mandatory flood insurance but that does not lessen your flood risk.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:51 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
I agree with Jersey Man. I do live in a "legitimate" flood zone and I would NEVER buy a house that isn't actually waterfront that requires flood insurance. FEMA and the NFIP are a complete joke. The fact is they are a government entity that are incompetent and have proven they will change the rules on a whim.

As to having a home removed from a flood zone, I'm glad to hear someone was successful but as someone who has read more than my share of FEMA horror stories over the past 18 months, I wouldn't bank on having the same luck.

In case you want to understand why I say this here's a link to an article I read a couple of days ago.

http://www.amerisurv.com/PDF/TheAmer...2_July2014.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey