U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-10-2014, 03:14 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,477 posts, read 10,488,032 times
Reputation: 4769

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
That comparison has been said on the forum before, and it's a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

MIA and South Beach has a FREE and CLEAN boardwalk to ride your bike on, numerous restored art deco hotels, and the beach is wide, long, and warm.

Compare that to NJ: pay to get on the beach, eat crappy processed food near the beach, stay at overpriced dumpy no name hotels, endure crumbling infrastructure, swim in the jellyfish infested water and have deal with the trashiest people from NJ, Philly, and Staten Island that think it's god's gift to humanity.

Yeah -- I think I'll take South Beach. Even so, compare NJ beaches to the culture and cities along the beaches in SoCal and it's a total miss.
I find the South Beach scene incredibly trashy (the Art Deco Hotels can only divert your gaze for so long)--much more so than in places like Margate/Longport, which are residential/non-hotel towns with great infrastructure, clean water, good restaurants, and no skeezy element to speak of. The calculus is probably different for short-term/seasonal renters in different towns, but if your family owns a reasonably proximate beachfront property in a nice place, there's far less of an incentive to shell out the cash and fly to an exotic location just for the beach.

South Beach has its charms for some, and there's a good chance I would have liked it the way it was 30 years ago. Simply put, Miami-Dade County as a whole is on a fast downhill directory. There are exceptions to be sure, but overall, my girlfriend and I were incredibly disappointed when we visited in March. I'm not saying the Jersey Shore's beaches are God's gift to humanity, and I'm sure there are a number of nicer destinations elsewhere. I just don't think South Beach is one of them. It's basically Wildwood with more attractive people. Hollywood Beach is Wildwood with less attractive people (but just as many French-Canadians ). Now if you had been talking Palm Beach, that would be another story entirely.

My only issue with SoCal beaches is how fricking cold the Pacific is!

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 07-10-2014 at 03:27 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2014, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2,099 posts, read 3,064,743 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I find the South Beach scene incredibly trashy (the Art Deco Hotels can only divert your gaze for so long)--much more so than in places like Margate/Longport, which are residential/non-hotel towns with great infrastructure, clean water, good restaurants, and no skeezy element to speak of. The calculus is probably different for short-term/seasonal renters in different towns, but if your family owns a reasonably proximate beachfront property in a nice place, there's far less of an incentive to shell out the cash and fly to an exotic location just for the beach.

South Beach has its charms for some, and there's a good chance I would have liked it the way it was 30 years ago. Simply put, Miami-Dade County as a whole is on a fast downhill directory. There are exceptions to be sure, but overall, my girlfriend and I were incredibly disappointed when we visited in March. I'm not saying the Jersey Shore's beaches are God's gift to humanity, and I'm sure there are a number of nicer destinations elsewhere. I just don't think South Beach is one of them. It's basically Wildwood with more attractive people. Hollywood Beach is Wildwood with less attractive people (but just as many French-Canadians ). Now if you had been talking Palm Beach, that would be another story entirely.

My only issue with SoCal beaches is how fricking cold the Pacific is!
My biggest problem with South Beach is the amount of trash from the New York Area it has for things like bachelor and bachelorette parties. It is, unfortunately called the 6th borough for a reason.

SoCal has hold water, sure. But NJ having warm water in comparison? Maybe just for the month of September. It's pretty chilly otherwise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2014, 04:14 PM
 
3,984 posts, read 6,259,808 times
Reputation: 2881
The water was up to 70 last week until winds from the south churned up cold water & dropped it 10-15 degrees. But already much warmer than Cali.

I was at a nude beach one time and someone came over to check my badge. I said "do you REALLY want to see where I keep my badge?" They scurried off in a huff.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2014, 04:15 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,477 posts, read 10,488,032 times
Reputation: 4769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
SoCal has hold water, sure. But NJ having warm water in comparison? Maybe just for the month of September. It's pretty chilly otherwise.
Check out these water temp charts:

Coastal Water Temperature Guide
Coastal Water Temperature Guide

You have to go all the way down to San Diego before the Pacific becomes as warm as the Jersey Shore during the summer months. Santa Monica has gorgeous beaches, but between the 5 degree water temperature gap and the persistently cooler air temperatures, it's not the greatest place to go swimming.

Of course, if you're into water sports, Santa Monica wins hands down.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2014, 04:49 PM
 
13,619 posts, read 22,193,499 times
Reputation: 37575
I just looked at the house we've rented several times in LBI. $5750/week, and it's fully rented through the middle of Sept. That is why we've switched to the Caribbean. We can go for 10 days at half the price, beachfront, a beach boy to bring us what we need, and no carting chairs or coolers.

I LOVED the Jersey shore when I lived there, but it's really gone insane with pricing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2014, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2,099 posts, read 3,064,743 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Check out these water temp charts:

Coastal Water Temperature Guide
Coastal Water Temperature Guide

You have to go all the way down to San Diego before the Pacific becomes as warm as the Jersey Shore during the summer months. Santa Monica has gorgeous beaches, but between the 5 degree water temperature gap and the persistently cooler air temperatures, it's not the greatest place to go swimming.

Of course, if you're into water sports, Santa Monica wins hands down.
July 1-15: Cape May is 71, San Diego is also 71. Everyone on this forum complains how cold the water in Southern California is this time of year, yet it's the same as the most southern beach in NJ

I think what might make the beaches in SoCal seem cooler than they air is the fact that the air is drier, so that has an affect when you get in and out of the water. NJ is way more humid this time of year.

Surprisingly Los Angeles is 67 which, I thought would have been cooler for this time of year. Of course you can feel free to use an LA beach year round for various times besides swimming in the water. You can't do that in Jersey.

Another upside to an LA beach -- you are nearly 2,500 miles away from DJ's in Belmar
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2014, 05:58 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,477 posts, read 10,488,032 times
Reputation: 4769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
July 1-15: Cape May is 71, San Diego is also 71. Everyone on this forum complains how cold the water in Southern California is this time of year, yet it's the same as the most southern beach in NJ
San Diego is almost at the bottom--IE, you basically have to reach the Mexican border before the temperatures are comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I think what might make the beaches in SoCal seem cooler than they air is the fact that the air is drier, so that has an affect when you get in and out of the water. NJ is way more humid this time of year.
It's not just the humidity--the air temperatures themselves are significantly cooler as well, which further compounds the effect. Of course, the temps out in California heat up much more quickly (and reach much higher temperatures) as you head inland. For example, Santa Monica Pier averages highs of 67, 70, 71, 71
June through September, while Downtown Atlantic City averages 76, 81, 80, and 75 during that same period.

Atlantic City, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Santa Monica, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Surprisingly Los Angeles is 67 which, I thought would have been cooler for this time of year. Of course you can feel free to use an LA beach year round for various times besides swimming in the water. You can't do that in Jersey.
That's true. There are also lots of reasons to visit SoCal besides the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Another upside to an LA beach -- you are nearly 2,500 miles away from DJ's in Belmar
Never been to Belmar. I'm probably missing very little.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2014, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2,099 posts, read 3,064,743 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
San Diego is almost at the bottom--IE, you basically have to reach the Mexican border before the temperatures are comparable.


It's not just the humidity--the air temperatures themselves are significantly cooler as well, which further compounds the effect. Of course, the temps out in California heat up much more quickly (and reach much higher temperatures) as you head inland. For example, Santa Monica Pier averages highs of 67, 70, 71, 71
June through September, while Downtown Atlantic City averages 76, 81, 80, and 75 during that same period.

Atlantic City, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Santa Monica, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


That's true. There are also lots of reasons to visit SoCal besides the beach.


Never been to Belmar. I'm probably missing very little.
Right but it's a bit overstated here that water temps in CA are cold. In the Bay Area that's absolutely true -- but we just made the comparison how in SD the water temp is the same as Cape May, NJ. So people need to wise up to the fact that the water temps in CA aren't really that cold.

Also during the summer in LA it's just doesn't get as warm as the Northeast does with all the humidity. Downtown LA might be 85 but you can easily wear a suit and tie. NYC can be in the low 90s but feels like the amazon jungle.

Typically the warmest month in LA is suprisingly September when there are at least 1-2 major heat waves of near 100 degree temps in downtown. However this year has been surprisingly warm and we've had 80 and 90 degree days in January and notably 2 separate weeks of 95-100 degree temps in the month of May. Very rare. Just like how there haven't been as many 90 degree days in NYC so far this summer (temps steadily in the low to mid 80s.) Heck, I was in NYC on the 4th of July and it had to get down to near 60 at night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2014, 06:26 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,477 posts, read 10,488,032 times
Reputation: 4769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Right but it's a bit overstated here that water temps in CA are cold. In the Bay Area that's absolutely true -- but we just made the comparison how in SD the water temp is the same as Cape May, NJ. So people need to wise up to the fact that the water temps in CA aren't really that cold.

Also during the summer in LA it's just doesn't get as warm as the Northeast does with all the humidity. Downtown LA might be 85 but you can easily wear a suit and tie. NYC can be in the low 90s but feels like the amazon jungle.

Typically the warmest month in LA is suprisingly September when there are at least 1-2 major heat waves of near 100 degree temps in downtown. However this year has been surprisingly warm and we've had 80 and 90 degree days in January and notably 2 separate weeks of 95-100 degree temps in the month of May. Very rare. Just like how there haven't been as many 90 degree days in NYC so far this summer (temps steadily in the low to mid 80s.) Heck, I was in NYC on the 4th of July and it had to get down to near 60 at night.
Ok, but LA is a full 5 degrees cooler, and while San Diego attracts some tourism, the overwhelming majority of people visiting the region are going to LA and immediately surrounding (and once you cross that early July threshold, Cape May gets even warmer than SD). Again, that plus the cooler air temperatures makes for a much less pleasant beach-going experience for those who want to take a dip in the water without a wet-suit. Taking a stroll or going on the pier is something else entirely.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Status: "Uncomfortably numb" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
64,781 posts, read 61,075,083 times
Reputation: 78936
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
San Diego is almost at the bottom--IE, you basically have to reach the Mexican border before the temperatures are comparable.


It's not just the humidity--the air temperatures themselves are significantly cooler as well, which further compounds the effect. Of course, the temps out in California heat up much more quickly (and reach much higher temperatures) as you head inland. For example, Santa Monica Pier averages highs of 67, 70, 71, 71
June through September, while Downtown Atlantic City averages 76, 81, 80, and 75 during that same period.

Atlantic City, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Santa Monica, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


That's true. There are also lots of reasons to visit SoCal besides the beach.


Never been to Belmar. I'm probably missing very little.
My coworker and I were laughing last week at a billboard on the New Jersey Turnpike that reads, "Belmar", and it has a photo of a place setting in a nice restaurant, bottle of wine, white cloth napkin. That's NOT what you picture when you think of Belmar. The town must have spent to advertise on that billboard, so maybe they are in an image-changing process.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:28 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top