Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 11:48 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I have a beach place. The beach is absolutely amazing and spotless. But what I find amazing it is a Resident Only Beach and it is Free to Use and Parking is Free. We have Picture IDs.

Folks ask to use my place, or rent it short term for a few days and I tell them they can but they cannot access beach as it is private and resident only.

They go ok sounds great I like that as it will be less crowded. I go but you wont be able to access it. Then I get but you own a house and I will be living at your place for the week so I am a resident. I go NO you are not. Then I get so what, I will pay non-resident fee and once again I say there is no non-resident fee you cant get in.

Then folks in particular folks from NJ or other states are like Did FEMA pay for bathrooms and Boardwalk blah blah after Sandy dont I have a right to that beach it is unfair. Parking is also free but residents only and no non-resident parking.

They dont even seem to understand that I paid big bucks to own a place at the beach and some of the rich folks in town dont have a little tiny place like me they have three million dollar homes with 30K property tax and dont need to see Tony with Tattos from the Bronx playing his boom box.

They also dont like fact no non-picture ID passes so they cant borrow my ID and fact it is illegal to use my pass and they could get arrested. I can bring up to five guests a day to beach for free so they are welcome to come with me.

I found it amazing how some folks think the concept of a town blocking off a huge section of beach for residents only is an issue. Also it blocks VRBO as they can stay at your beach house but cant go on beach!!

But to me other towns nearby charge for beach access and admit the public. My town the beach is owned by town and supported by my village property tax. I did not create the rules. But on other hand the perk is it is private and makes it safe and clean and wonderful.
You're precisely the type of incomprehensible mook whose house would be bulldozed first under my State Beaches/Parks for All concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 12:02 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
You're precisely the type of incomprehensible mook whose house would be bulldozed first under my State Beaches/Parks for All concept.

My place is not beach front at all. Almost two blocks from beach. However, my town owns the beaches from high tide line back. As such it is restricted to residents. Of course if you came by boat the other way you can enter beach. Pulling up to a oceanfront beach with waves and rocks on the Atlantic Ocean is risky.

Funny part the beaches to the left of my beach are totally free. They are a pigstye. Disgusting as everyone makes a mess. The beach to the right of me is public but charges $12 bucks and is pretty clean. My beach is spotless

Bloombeg recently stated that living in Manhattan is not a God Given right it is a luxury item that not all can afford. Pristine Beaches are a bit of the same concept.

Best Beaches, the pink Sands of Bermuda, Turks and Caicos, Hawaiii, Flying Point in Southhampton etc. I paid a ton to get there and go on beach.

Places like Orchard Beach in Bronx, Far Rockaway and Jones Beach and Wildwood NJ were all free or dirt cheap and for most part disgusting.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:10 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
We're driving up from South Carolina next week to visit family and my sister said that beach tags are now $10, per person. How is it constitutionally legal to charge people to use the beach? We have gorgeous beaches here in SC; Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Kiawah, etc. I've been to Maui, Oahu, Greece, Great Barrier Reef, Jamaica, Playa Del Carmen, South Beach, etc. and none of these amazing beaches cost a single cent, yet, NJ charges people to use them. I don't understand how this is legal. Ok, rant over.
If the property is privately owned, it is not you who owns the property and the owner can allow, disallow, or charge a fee and you have a right to not pay and not use the beach.

In the case of NJ, the citizens elected officials who delegated authority to personnel who decided to raise revenue for the city and/or state by taxing the public use of the beach. This falls under Amendment 10 the reserved powers of states and local lawmakers.

If Federal Govt passes and ratifies a constitutional amendment allowing non-private beach as free of taxation as a right, then it would become a Constitutional issue like you said.

State and local Govts have lots of powers when it comes to public property restrictions

They can designate property for residents only and tax others
They can test weapons on property and ban general public as a safety precaution
Even place curfews on all public roads in a natural disaster

Only thing they can't do is discriminate based on race, ethnicity, any category other than residents vs non-residents

And private property owners cannot discriminate on who can and cannot be a resident if they pay the going rate to live there.

Last edited by EricS39; 07-09-2014 at 12:23 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 12:17 PM

Because what we need more of, as His Majesty Michael Bloomberg so haughtily suggested, is MORE segregation of our sensitive 1%ers from the Tonys from the Bronx. Let scum like him swim in the East River and dine from a garbage can outside of Per Se. Another gilded age thanks to the scummy mindsets of rich sh#theads like Bloomberg.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:20 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
I have a beach place. The beach is absolutely amazing and spotless. But what I find amazing it is a Resident Only Beach and it is Free to Use and Parking is Free. We have Picture IDs.

Folks ask to use my place, or rent it short term for a few days and I tell them they can but they cannot access beach as it is private and resident only.

They go ok sounds great I like that as it will be less crowded. I go but you wont be able to access it. Then I get but you own a house and I will be living at your place for the week so I am a resident. I go NO you are not. Then I get so what, I will pay non-resident fee and once again I say there is no non-resident fee you cant get in.

Then folks in particular folks from NJ or other states are like Did FEMA pay for bathrooms and Boardwalk blah blah after Sandy dont I have a right to that beach it is unfair. Parking is also free but residents only and no non-resident parking.

They dont even seem to understand that I paid big bucks to own a place at the beach and some of the rich folks in town dont have a little tiny place like me they have three million dollar homes with 30K property tax and dont need to see Tony with Tattos from the Bronx playing his boom box.

They also dont like fact no non-picture ID passes so they cant borrow my ID and fact it is illegal to use my pass and they could get arrested. I can bring up to five guests a day to beach for free so they are welcome to come with me.

I found it amazing how some folks think the concept of a town blocking off a huge section of beach for residents only is an issue. Also it blocks VRBO as they can stay at your beach house but cant go on beach!!

But to me other towns nearby charge for beach access and admit the public. My town the beach is owned by town and supported by my village property tax. I did not create the rules. But on other hand the perk is it is private and makes it safe and clean and wonderful.
The first place that popped into my mind when I read this was Deal. Is that where you live?

Does your private beach have lifeguards?

Old 07-09-2014, 12:53 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The first place that popped into my mind when I read this was Deal. Is that where you live?

Does your private beach have lifeguards?

My private beach has lifeguards, bathrooms, chairboy service, a resident only boardwalk, resident only parking. You actually leave your chairs and umbrellas at beach in a free storage facility and upon arrival the chairboys carry your chairs down and set up your umbrella. We also have a great resident only firewalks show on Fourth of July.

My town actually has several beachs all with same service. We also have playgrounds at beach entrance and we allows residents to enjoy bringing some beers and wine to the beach. Also have food for sale at the beach, 13 types of salads, nine types of burgers, tons of wraps and sandwichs. Place a big order and pay and they deliver it to your chair.

All you have to do is buy a house.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
My private beach has lifeguards, bathrooms, chairboy service, a resident only boardwalk, resident only parking. You actually leave your chairs and umbrellas at beach in a free storage facility and upon arrival the chairboys carry your chairs down and set up your umbrella. We also have a great resident only firewalks show on Fourth of July.

My town actually has several beachs all with same service. We also have playgrounds at beach entrance and we allows residents to enjoy bringing some beers and wine to the beach. Also have food for sale at the beach, 13 types of salads, nine types of burgers, tons of wraps and sandwichs. Place a big order and pay and they deliver it to your chair.

All you have to do is buy a house.
Interesting, but I'm not sure if I agree with it. I live in Cranford and that would be like us making the Rahway River exclusive to residents only, as in no one else can fish, kayak, canoe, walk, or bike alongside it. I'm not sure it's fair to take property like that and make it exclusive but if it's legal then that is all that matters. Interesting though.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Interesting, but I'm not sure if I agree with it. I live in Cranford and that would be like us making the Rahway River exclusive to residents only, as in no one else can fish, kayak, canoe, walk, or bike alongside it. I'm not sure it's fair to take property like that and make it exclusive but if it's legal then that is all that matters. Interesting though.
First off - there are fish in the Rahway River?

Second - if you have the green, not all of the usual laws apply to you.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:25 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I was down at Point Pleasant yesterday for a work function. I've never been, and I must say, I loved it. I'd be very interested in bringing my wife and kids down for day trips, but it does seem a tad "expensive", even though the beach looks very well maintained and the boardwalk is nice. $8.50/adult on a weekday, kids under 5 free, and parking looks to run about $12. so a day at the beach is $17 + $12 for us right now = $29. I wouldn't mind it being maintained like EB said - maybe a "state park" type of approach. But, i understand why it is what it is at the moment.
We did frequent day trips to Bradley Beach. A nice wide beach, bathrooms, and plenty of street parking, as long as you got there early enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I can't speak for LBI, but for every South Jersey shore town that requires beach tags, there's one nearby that does not, so there are always options available. I think the hotel/no beach tag (or easily purchasable beach tag) connection makes the most sense.
LBI requires beach tags. I don't have a problem with it, despite the lack of parking, so you need to drag your stuff for blocks, and no bathrooms, so you need to go back to the house, etc. But, what does bug me, is the inability to go from one town to the next via the beach. We were stopped because we had Surf City badges, but had walked past the town boundaries. That's ridiculous.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
First off - there are fish in the Rahway River?

Second - if you have the green, not all of the usual laws apply to you.
They stock with trout every spring. People are always fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey