Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:48 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,732 times

Advertisements

Now I know alot of the threads here are real estate related but I figure we can vary it up abit.

I need some honest opinions from all of you as to when kids should stop receiving gifts. I have 30 people to give gifts to this year. The majority are kids from 1 to 18 years of age. It's becoming a real burden and alot of the older and teenage kids are not appreciating what I give them anymore. I haven't heard a thank you from them from the past few xmas.

Besides, they all want the Wii and the Ipod and other expensive stuff I can't possibility give them. What's an aunt to do?

Let me know your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 08:36 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Gift cards so they can buy what they wantfor the older ones....all though I have to admit my siblings and I stopped this years ago..giving to the nieces, nephews..to expensive, to stressful

Old 12-19-2007, 08:37 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
We give gifts forever. I still get gifts from my parents (and I'm well over 50). And I give them gifts. Not because I HAVE to, but because I like doing it. You don't have to give anything big - even a little gift card is nice!

Old 12-19-2007, 08:50 AM

222 posts, read 1,025,690 times
In our family, we give gifts to people until they have kids of their own and then we give gifts to the kids. We still do give gifts to the elders of the family (a few parents).

That being said, if I didn't get a thank-you via card, phone call or in person from any kid over 10, I wouldn't give to them anymore.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
In our family, we give gifts to people until they have kids of their own and then we give gifts to the kids. We still do give gifts to the elders of the family (a few parents).

That being said, if I didn't get a thank-you via card, phone call or in person from any kid over 10, I wouldn't give to them anymore.
I like that mentality! No thank you? No gifts for you!

Old 12-19-2007, 09:35 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post

In our extended family we give gifts to the kids under 16. Once they reach 16 they go into the "adult pool", where we pull one name each year sometime in October and that's who we buy for. We all get together for a Christmas brunch the Sunday after Christmas. This year I only have the two names my husband and I pulled and four kids under 16 to buy for (scratch that -- just had a new baby born last week!-- make it 5 kids). Makes it much easier that way, and everyone is happy with it. The teenager in the group will get a gift card to FYE. Next year he goes into the adult pool as does my daughter.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:47 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
i don't have any "older" nieces and nephews (oldest is 10), but I suspect what we'll do when everyone is older is do gift cards (itunes, clothes stores, etc). i think teens would like that much better than a material gift anyway.

if the expense is too much, talk to your siblings and see if you can do a grab bag, or just do the small gifts cards.

but i have a question - when my kids open presents from grandparents and aunts/uncles - they of course say thank you, but is a thank you note required as well? i'm a total stickler when it comes to this, but quite honestly sending TY's for Xmas gifts didn't even cross my mind. I don't get any from the nieces/nephews either (again, noone older than 10).

Old 12-19-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i don't have any "older" nieces and nephews (oldest is 10), but I suspect what we'll do when everyone is older is do gift cards (itunes, clothes stores, etc). i think teens would like that much better than a material gift anyway.

if the expense is too much, talk to your siblings and see if you can do a grab bag, or just do the small gifts cards.

but i have a question - when my kids open presents from grandparents and aunts/uncles - they of course say thank you, but is a thank you note required as well? i'm a total stickler when it comes to this, but quite honestly sending TY's for Xmas gifts didn't even cross my mind. I don't get any from the nieces/nephews either (again, noone older than 10).
I don't think kids know they're supposed to send 'thank you' notes.

It's hard enough getting a verbal thank you from them! Forget a note or a card.

We did kris kringle 2 years ago and my sister put her teenage kids in the pool. They were only getting that one gift for xmas so she decided to pull them out of the pool the past 2 years so they will get more. I think it's time to bring up the idea again. Especially 'cus her kids are the only ones who don't even thank me for their gifts! Brats!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:05 AM

828 posts, read 3,137,695 times
A ThankYou note for a Christmas present???
Hmmmm, never heard of such a thing.
Besides, if the present came from a grandparent, aunt or uncle why would you send a note? A huge hug and even a phone call a day or two after Christmas telling someone that they really appreciated the present(s) that they received would be a great thank you, IMO.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:20 AM

687 posts, read 3,250,762 times
Quote:
I'm super high-strung regarding thank yous, and sending them promptly, and I have a very rigid reputation among family and friends on this front.

My stance on thank-yous is that they should always be sent when a person receives a gift for an event specifically for him/her (birthdays, communions, etc...), regardless of whether or not he/she says thank you in person.

For Christmas, where everyone is receiving gifts, I don't send thank yous.

Miss Manners and Emily Post would probably say a note should be sent for any gift. When in doubt, I always write the note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: