Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:29 PM

6 posts, read 10,453 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this comes off as a semi-rant. I just really can't hack it here anymore. Before I get attacked or flamed for my opinion on NJ, I just want to clarify that my intention is not to argue with anyone who may have a different view, or bash the state. I know there are some great places here, but it's just really not for me and I need to get out. My fiancé and I live together and really have our hearts set on New Hampshire. There are just too many people here! I know I'm not stating anything anyone doesn't already know, it's not a surprise that NJ is crowded. I'm quite aware everywhere has people and nj is densely packed etc, but particularly where we live in Palisades Park, (northern nj) is unbelievable and I feel like it just keeps getting worse. There's major traffic 2 pm on Tuesdays for heavens sake, then shortly after rush hour begins, I just can't escape it. And forget about when it's the school year trying to get around when the kids come out, you're stuck for a good 50 min. I know packing up and moving is easier said than done, but by this time next year I really hope to be long gone from here.

I'm just starting animal control and my fiancé is in real estate. We are surprisingly lucky to have a decent rent, (and by decent I mean still really expensive, but not as bad as it could be) which I'm glad about, but even that's not enough to make me consider staying. I feel very stuck at the moment, but I have hopes that I will leave and be happier elsewhere some day soon. I love nature and being outdoors and I just can't find that where we are. Of course there are some local parks etc, but I would love to live somewhere primarily that has tons of nature and fresh air. If you could think of the least populated states to move to, what would they be? As I mentioned we really are considering New Hampshire at the top of our list, for the nature factor at least. Any input is welcomed and again, I'm not trying to offend anyone with my post, I apologize in advance if I did. I'm just counting down the days until we leave thanks for taking the time to read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 07:45 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,651,529 times
If you think NH is going to have a significantly lower cost of living, think again. While it might be up in the north country, employment up there is severely limited. Yes, it's less populated. But you had better have a significant saving account to tide you over.

It doesn't. As far as employment, you better have jobs lined up before moving otherwise plan on not working for a while.

Quite frankly unless you plan on working in commercial animal control, town jobs are part time at best and let's face it they are going to the long time residents first. Real estate agents are also in plentiful supply. You would not be familiar with the area at all. So agencies are going to be hesitant from hiring someone that doesn't have a clue about the area they are selling.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:01 PM

324 posts, read 573,422 times
Why does the population density of the state matter? It should only be the part of the state that you live in that matters, and of course you live in the most congested part of the state. There are parts of NJ that are very similar to parts of NH.

It sounds like there's a lot more you need to consider...

Old 07-17-2014, 08:11 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,872,477 times
Pal Park is super crowded for the 'burbs, especially on the major streets, and you'd get a lot more breathing room in Leonia and even more north of route 4. Granted, it would be more expensive in terms of rent so win-some lose-some.

Also keep in mind if your fiance is in real estate that her income is going to be tightly tied to property values. It's one of the fields where income scales most strongly with local cost of living.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:19 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,958,610 times
Step one:

Click "U.S. Forums"

Step two:

Scroll down to states that begin with "N"

Step three:

Click "New Hampshire"

Step four:

Ask questions

You're welcome!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:24 PM

287 posts, read 592,577 times
Live your dream dude. If that's what you want, go and do it. Life is too short.

I work in NYC and as soon as Im retired im moving up into the mountains. Humans were not meant to live on top of each other like this.

Do what makes you happy!

Old 07-17-2014, 10:09 PM

6 posts, read 10,453 times
Thanks everyone for your replies! I appreciate the input!

@ rscalzo, you're 100% right and I absolutely agree with you. We would obviously need things somewhat established there before making a move. That's why I say a year from now hopefully.

@ jerseystrong1, I said state because that's the first thing that came to mind. You're right, I've been to many beautiful, rural, less crowded places in NJ, I know they exist. Trust me, if moving to one of those places was possible right now, I'd of course do it.

@ alackofcreativity, yes, it's super unbelievably packed. We live right off of one of the main streets in town and it's tough, not to mention incredibly loud. I'm actually the female in animal control, my fiancé is a male who's in real estate. Leonia is really nice, but cost is definitely a factor. Maybe we'd come across a gem as with this apartment.

@ badfish740, don't worry, I certainly intend to. I read there quite often. thank you for the help though.

@ libertarian1776 , thank you, and believe me do I ever plan on it! No, we weren't meant to live like that, It's just not natural! Life truly is too short, I definitely don't plan on sticking it out here in misery, New Hampshire or not. I seriously hope you get to go live in the mountains sooner than later.... I could only dream! I hope it's everything you'd imagined it to be city living is great for those who like it, and god bless them because I certainly can't do it. Best of luck to you!!

Old 07-18-2014, 06:12 AM

90 posts, read 367,864 times
Yeah if I had a job lined up in New Hampshire or Maine I wouldn't miss NJ for one second.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:27 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,346,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao89 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this comes off as a semi-rant. I just really can't hack it here anymore. Before I get attacked or flamed for my opinion on NJ, I just want to clarify that my intention is not to argue with anyone who may have a different view, or bash the state. I know there are some great places here, but it's just really not for me and I need to get out. My fiancé and I live together and really have our hearts set on New Hampshire. There are just too many people here! I know I'm not stating anything anyone doesn't already know, it's not a surprise that NJ is crowded. I'm quite aware everywhere has people and nj is densely packed etc, but particularly where we live in Palisades Park, (northern nj) is unbelievable and I feel like it just keeps getting worse. There's major traffic 2 pm on Tuesdays for heavens sake, then shortly after rush hour begins, I just can't escape it. And forget about when it's the school year trying to get around when the kids come out, you're stuck for a good 50 min. I know packing up and moving is easier said than done, but by this time next year I really hope to be long gone from here.

I'm just starting animal control and my fiancé is in real estate. We are surprisingly lucky to have a decent rent, (and by decent I mean still really expensive, but not as bad as it could be) which I'm glad about, but even that's not enough to make me consider staying. I feel very stuck at the moment, but I have hopes that I will leave and be happier elsewhere some day soon. I love nature and being outdoors and I just can't find that where we are. Of course there are some local parks etc, but I would love to live somewhere primarily that has tons of nature and fresh air. If you could think of the least populated states to move to, what would they be? As I mentioned we really are considering New Hampshire at the top of our list, for the nature factor at least. Any input is welcomed and again, I'm not trying to offend anyone with my post, I apologize in advance if I did. I'm just counting down the days until we leave thanks for taking the time to read!
65 year NJ resident here and I am on your side. I made a better then average living in NJ and it was a great place to raise and educate your kids but I certainly agree with you on overcrowding. Yes there are places in NJ where it is not crowded but those places are too far from where the jobs are located. Hunterdon County, Warren County and parts of Somerset County are beautiful and less crowded than the Counties bordering the Hudson but that's not where the majority of employment opportunities lie.

If you can't stand the overpopulation of NJ then by all means relocate. That's just what we did when I retired.

Good luck to you.

Not a NJ hater.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:39 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,178,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao89 View Post
Hi everyone,

I resided in Ridgefield for 50 plus years until I moved 2 plus years ago to SW NJ not far from exit 3 on the NJ turnpike which I don't appreciate all that much and jobs are few unless one does a philly/philly burbs commute which is nuts. I know what you're saying and I'm now typing this in my motel room in Connecticut doing the possible relocation evaluation and will be staying in Manchester, NH this weekend doing the same for that area and the northern end of Massachusetts. Trust me that the research into moving somewhere else is not an easy one once you live where you have plenty of conveniences although you're correct about living on top of each other, at least you don't live in Hudson County which has a "rats crowded on top of each other" living arrangements with tough car parking in many of those areas.

I hope that you find your version of utopia as I've found it really doesn't totally exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey