Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:29 PM

108 posts, read 166,804 times

Advertisements

I know I am asking for a lot. But I am looking to relocate and I would love to move to Bergen County or Passaic County. I am looking for a diverse town, with reasonable taxes, and a very good school system. Also a 3/4 bedroom house for about 300-400,000. I have a toddler and plan to have more children. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 06:35 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
No.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:57 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
You can find a 3-4 bedroom house for 300-400k. Towards the low end it might be on the small side or need some updating but they are definitely out there. 400k can go a long way.

That said, you need to elaborate on what constitutes a "very good school system", what a reasonable amount of taxes is, and what you mean by "diversity". If you have realistic expectations, you should be able to find something your happy with

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 07-17-2014 at 08:08 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 08:02 PM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
No.
I echo that.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
You can find a 3-4 bedroom house for 300-400k. Towards the low end it might be on the small side or need some updating but they are definitely out there. 400k can go a long way.

That said, you need to elaborate on what constitutes a "very good school system", what a reasonable amount of taxes is, and what you mean by "diversity". If you have realistic expectations, you should be able to find something your happy with

Taxes between 5,000 to 8,000 per year. Good public education, one where I would not feel the need to send my children to private schools. As far as diversity, I do not want my children to be the only African American children in the school. I want their to be a variety of ethnicities represented, and most importantly for her to not be the only one in her class or neighborhood.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:14 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
To be brutally honest, you are going to have to compromise a bit on things. You can find some really good schools, in the area but the housing prices will be over your budget, and/or taxes will. Great schools always come with a cost, always in the home price and often in taxes to boot. (though there are plenty of towns with sky high taxes and not very good or down right horrible schools) You will not find great/top tier schools in towns with low taxes and lowish home prices.

I suggest it would be more realistic to compromise and look for the best schools within your housing budget, those schools will be decent, slightly above average in performance, the towns will be fairly diverse, (your child will likely not be the only AA in their grade) One town I'd suggest would be Fair Lawn, there is plenty of 4br SF homes in your price range, and the taxes will be right around your upper limit of 8,000k per yr (I took a quick peek on Zillow and saw many homes in the 360k to just under 400k range and the tax history showed taxes of between 7,500k and 8,150k per yr) Schools are decent, not top tier, but above average in performance. The 2010 census showed ~ 2% of the town identified as AA and another 2% as being of two or more races. Approx 10% were Latino and 10% were Asian. (the census does not distinguish between Asian Indian, and other Asian countries)

You might also look at Oredell and River Edge, as the schools there are also solid, above average, plenty of homes in your price range, but the taxes will be over $8,000/yr, but less than $9,000. Any chance you are willing to expand your search into north/eastern Morris Co? You'll find lower taxes and better schools. Just be careful of the towns with flooding issues, (just like in Passaic Co.) It may not be feasible for you do to commute times/restraints though, just throwing it out there.

KoalaNJ

Old 07-17-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
To be brutally honest, you are going to have to compromise a bit on things. You can find some really good schools, in the area but the housing prices will be over your budget, and/or taxes will. Great schools always come with a cost, always in the home price and often in taxes to boot. (though there are plenty of towns with sky high taxes and not very good or down right horrible schools) You will not find great/top tier schools in towns with low taxes and lowish home prices.

I suggest it would be more realistic to compromise and look for the best schools within your housing budget, those schools will be decent, slightly above average in performance, the towns will be fairly diverse, (your child will likely not be the only AA in their grade) One town I'd suggest would be Fair Lawn, there is plenty of 4br SF homes in your price range, and the taxes will be right around your upper limit of 8,000k per yr (I took a quick peek on Zillow and saw many homes in the 360k to just under 400k range and the tax history showed taxes of between 7,500k and 8,150k per yr) Schools are decent, not top tier, but above average in performance. The 2010 census showed ~ 2% of the town identified as AA and another 2% as being of two or more races. Approx 10% were Latino and 10% were Asian. (the census does not distinguish between Asian Indian, and other Asian countries)

You might also look at Oredell and River Edge, as the schools there are also solid, above average, plenty of homes in your price range, but the taxes will be over $8,000/yr, but less than $9,000. Any chance you are willing to expand your search into north/eastern Morris Co? You'll find lower taxes and better schools. Just be careful of the towns with flooding issues, (just like in Passaic Co.) It may not be feasible for you do to commute times/restraints though, just throwing it out there.

KoalaNJ
Thank you so much for your thorough response. I would not be opposed to the very beginning of Morris County/ bordering Passaic County. My commute right now is about 1.5 hours to 3 hours when traffic is really bad one way during rush hour and 45 minutes off peak. However I have to be to work for 830 and I have a toddler doing the commute with me. So i prefer the shortest commute possible. I work in Paramus. Thanks again.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:56 AM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo06 View Post
Thank you so much for your thorough response. I would not be opposed to the very beginning of Morris County/ bordering Passaic County. My commute right now is about 1.5 hours to 3 hours when traffic is really bad one way during rush hour and 45 minutes off peak. However I have to be to work for 830 and I have a toddler doing the commute with me. So i prefer the shortest commute possible. I work in Paramus. Thanks again.
I am not sure of the school ratings, but check out Woodland Park. I think you might be able to find something in your price range, and there is diversity there. Smaller town, but accessible to everything.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:03 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
My first thought was Fair Lawn from your description but given that you don't want your children to be the token African American students that's not so good.

There are only three towns in Bergen county with a significant African American population: Hackensack, Teaneck, and Englewood. Teaneck has the best schools of the bunch but the level of quality is still mediocre at best and all three of them have pretty high tax rates (although Englewood has improved dramatically over the last few years from what I've heard). There are a lot of pluses (location, physicial beauty, downtown, etc.) to Teaneck and Englewood as well though so Teaneck in particular is probably worth your time to at least give some research and thought to despite the issues.

I'm not sure if the commute time would be acceptable to you, but Nyack is a very cute town up in Rockland county NY with a significant African-American population and good schools.

Alternatively if you're willing to give up being around other African-Americans you actually have a decent amount of choice -- and looking at your other thread neither Wayne nor Fair Lawn are bad places to start looking.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:37 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
(the census does not distinguish between Asian Indian, and other Asian countries)
I don't quite understand this general proclivity for distinguishing Indians from other Asians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey