Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:35 PM

8 posts, read 18,633 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone -

Long considering a relocation from northern New Jersey to Monmouth. Thinking of Shrewsbury, Little Silver area. Love the physical beauty of the area, downtown Red Bank, etc.

But one comment that seems to be coming up a lot on this forum is an increasing influx of Staten Island migrants - which is not an issue per se, but having also lived in the city for years, we are looking for a more relaxed, family/community vibe in which to raise our young family.

Overall, we've narrowed our list to Monmouth and Morris counties. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 07:38 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
They've escaped in large numbers but it's hard to say if they're predominant in any one area. I wouldn't let it affect your decision about Monmouth County.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:54 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,248 times
Probably about 3/4 of it.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:49 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Horizon View Post
Hello everyone -

Long considering a relocation from northern New Jersey to Monmouth. Thinking of Shrewsbury, Little Silver area. Love the physical beauty of the area, downtown Red Bank, etc.

But one comment that seems to be coming up a lot on this forum is an increasing influx of Staten Island migrants - which is not an issue per se, but having also lived in the city for years, we are looking for a more relaxed, family/community vibe in which to raise our young family.

Overall, we've narrowed our list to Monmouth and Morris counties. Thanks in advance.
There are a lot of Staten Islanders in Middletown. A friend of mine, originally from Bergen County, lives in Middletown and almost all of her immediate neighbors are originally from Brooklyn or Staten Island.

These people, like you, moved there because they wanted a relaxed, family/communit vibe in which to raise their families. It is not, however, like Staten Island in appearance or congestion.

It is a very nice area. I moved here from NW Bergen County four years ago. I am near Shrewsbury and Red Bank, and there's a lot going for this area, not the least of which is an ocean fifteen minutes away. To answer your title question factually--NO. Much of Monmouth County is semi-rural and stretches westward into the heart of the state for almost an hour's drive. This Eastern section is the most congested portion.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:11 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times
As a current two rivers resident and former SI'er I can appreciate this posting. Although I hope that my neighbors don't secretly talk about the Staten Islander who moved on the block and ruined it all behind my back.....

As a former life long resident of "the Rock," I couldn't wait to move off with my family. We fell in love with the peninsula and never looked back. It's a really wonderful area and we simply couldn't be any happier after moving here (right in the area you mentioned). Not sure what your budget or requirements are but the Shrewsbury, Little Silver, Fair Haven, Rumson, Oceanport area has a wide range of options. The clean air, access to beaches, great schools, open space, and decent, educated, normal people make it a wonderful place to raise a family, along with plenty good restaurants, shopping, and cultural amenities.

As for the SI influence, I've found that the Eastern part of the county is somewhat free, although parts of Middletown as previous poster said do have a big SI influence, depending on your budget that may not be case. If you're really looking to avoid the SI/Bklyn "manifest destiny experience" (Bklyn to SI to NJ to Fla) I would avoid looking at Colts Neck, Manalapan, Marlboro, and Jackson areas; altough Red Bank at night has a small contingent of SI'ers going to Puglia and soon to be Patrizia's to eat or the lounges to drink but not a problem if that's not your scene. Holmdel, in addition to previously mentioned areas is another good choice but not beachy, same with Lincroft and Oak Hill in Middletown (feeds into Middletown South HS). Again, it all depends on your budget and your criteria in housing and commuting.

IF you do need an agent down here DM me, the one we used was awesome and has lived down here for a while and is very familiar with the area and knowledgeable of the market. After dealing with a lot of agents in negotiations we're very happy we had someone good on our side. Same w/ lawyer.
Just a word- housing market in this area is still pretty hot- volume has randomly begun to pick up again now after being dead since May. In my town, May closings went for >98.5% of ask and most home priced right had bidding wars and sold in under a week.

Hope this was of some value. Long story short- the two rivers area you are looking at is a GREAT place to live and if you stick to right towns you'll hardly see an SI'er.

Last edited by Metsfan53; 07-23-2014 at 07:24 AM..

Old 07-23-2014, 10:38 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,757 times
Great reply from Metsfan. I live in Tinton Falls on the furthest Nort portion off of Sycamore Ave, Harvest Lane. The towns you mentioned are very nice and you will love the area and residents. I would stay away from Manalapan though...

Old 07-23-2014, 10:54 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Default Has much of Monmouth County become "Staten-Island-ized"?

They had enough gas to make it down to northern Ocean County. I fit right in with them, I hope their not toxic though. I don't think some of the "locals" are fond of them or myself(Jersey City transplant).

Old 07-23-2014, 11:17 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
They had enough gas to make it down to northern Ocean County. I fit right in with them, I hope their not toxic though. I don't think some of the "locals" are fond of them or myself(Jersey City transplant).
Good point- Seems Ocean Township retirement developments, Neptune and Brick/Toms river is the next spot on the list....

Also avoid Howell as well if you want to keep away form SI/bklyn transplants....

I should mention that not all SI'ers are reality show wannabe' btw. Many good, hardworking, peaceful people come from "the Rock" as well......

Old 07-23-2014, 12:54 PM

49 posts, read 214,545 times
Thanks for all your insightful replies. Helpful, for sure.

We just got worried when we read 'The Situation' is opening tanning salons on rt. 35. lol

How is Red Bank Regional HS? Other posters here voice concerns in comparison to Holmdel, Fair Haven-Rumson, Midd. South HS's.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:58 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew in Jersey View Post
We just got worried when we read 'The Situation' is opening tanning salons on rt. 35. lol
he is from manalapan.

in holmdel, i havent really noticed staten islanders running around. there are an abundance of chinese people but they are nice and quiet. their kids dont go around shanking people, they stay at home and do math problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey