Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 04:16 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,137,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradivarius View Post
We once stayed over in a motel off of 80 in PA on our way out to Michigan, when an older gentleman saw our family, looked at me, and asked, "Where are you from?"

I responded with, "We're from NJ, on our way to Michigan."

He then looks at me intently and says, "No, I mean...w h e r e a r e y o u f r o o o o m ? China? Koooorea?"

Moments like these amuse me.

(Ivan, I did you a favor by incorporating NJ into this response so the thread can stay in the NJ section.)
Been there done that. When I tell them I'm from Japan, they say "oh I never would've thought that".

I was at a Korean dry cleaner one time in Edgewater and the lady says to me:"you look like Lou diamond Philips"

Can't make this stuff up...

If you see an Asian guy that looks like Lou diamond Philips in Wyckoff, stop and say hello.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 04:20 PM

19,067 posts, read 25,224,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Hahaha my friends love this story. She started by asking "you're oriental right?" I said "yeah..."
You should have said, "No, I'm not a carpet. People from Asia are properly referred to as Asians, not...orientals".

Old 07-29-2014, 04:21 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times
ORIGINAL (FULL) Asians in The Library Ching Ching…: ORIGINAL (FULL) Asians in The Library Ching Ching Ling Long Ting Tong Alexandra Wallace UCLA Student - YouTube

And still a freakin classic:
Ching Chong! Asians in the Library Song (Response…: Ching Chong! Asians in the Library Song (Response to UCLA's Alexandra Wallace) - YouTube

Old 07-29-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You should have said, "No, I'm not a carpet. People from Asia are properly referred to as Asians, not...orientals".

I get the whole oriental thing is a no no these days but that really doesn't bother me to tell you the truth. Don't ask me why. It never did. Walking to school back in 1981 in 1st grade (Lyndhurst) and kids screaming racial slurs every other day from the school bus,,now that hurt.

Guess I have thick skin.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:18 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,063,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
OK, asking if she's the "nanny" is just rude. But to the OP's point, the woman was being nosy but I don't think it is always meant to be racist. It's natural to look and wonder and there's nothing offensive about being adopted. There are plenty of kids that are. I wouldn't have been offended by the question, but I really don't think you should ask something like that of a stranger because I really don't think a child's parentage is anyone's business.

That said, I would have answered the question and moved on. There's too many things in this world to be truly annoyed at, I don't think this is one of them.
How 'bout minding your own g-damn business? Like asking a person with a deformity - "ewww, what's that on your face?" Something a child might do. Not an adult.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:43 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,742,190 times
I dont think ive ever been offended by anyone/anything. If I was in a good mood and someone asked me that about my child, I probably would have just said its not adopted and blow them off/walk away. No need to explain or defend anything.

If I was in a bad mood, I would have told them what they could do to themselves and to get out of my face.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,584,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We are all racist in our own way.

Some of us just keep our mouths shut about it.
I don't think its fair to label activities that demonstrate a preconceived notion about race as being "racist." I think being racist is much more malicious than someone asking if the child was adopted. we don't need to be so super sensitive and worry that something you say is going to make you a racist.

when you are a parent, the more annoying stuff is people judging you for how you are raising your children and even sometimes giving unwanted advice.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 07-29-2014 at 06:40 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,584,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Hahaha my friends love this story. She started by asking "you're oriental right?" I said "yeah..."

Old 07-29-2014, 06:49 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,892,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
How 'bout minding your own g-damn business? Like asking a person with a deformity - "ewww, what's that on your face?" Something a child might do. Not an adult.
I think this scenario is a lot different and I can speak from personal experience. You're right though, technically it was none of the woman's business, I just believe that being rude back doesn't serve a purpose, but you have your way of dealing with it and I have mine

Old 07-29-2014, 06:59 PM

CaptainNJ: classic Seinfeld Chinese postal worker scene. Loved that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey