Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 10:43 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,804,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The worst I have seen is when I go to visit my brother in Atlanta. I'll be driving 80, and people constantly will fly right by me. NJ drivers are slowpokes compared to them.
exactly! I have never seen anything like it (except in Germany )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 04:20 AM

18,453 posts, read 15,234,612 times
The thing that bothers me most is that so many people don't know how to merge onto a highway. You can't enter a 65mph highway at 45mph. It is very unsafe. And it is very dangerous for the poor person stuck behind you trying to enter the highway as well as whoever happens to be driving in the right lane of the highway too. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that it is safer and easier to merge at similar speeds as the cars you are merging with.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:39 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,191,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Someone was pulled over for driving 60 in a 55 on an interstate highway?
Tell that to the cop that pulled that driver over.

Yes kind of crazy as I was thinking, maybe he "didn't get any" from his SO.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:11 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
The thing that bothers me most is that so many people don't know how to merge onto a highway. You can't enter a 65mph highway at 45mph. It is very unsafe. And it is very dangerous for the poor person stuck behind you trying to enter the highway as well as whoever happens to be driving in the right lane of the highway too. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that it is safer and easier to merge at similar speeds as the cars you are merging with.
Frequently I would follow a car entering the highway and the person would slow to a crawl or just stop at the end of the merge. Which is why I usually look in the mirror and make an early merge instead of being slowed down by a coward.

I also notice a lot of bad driving/parking in the parking lots. People who can't maneuver around other cars and forced to wait creating necessary congestion around parking lots.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:28 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,360 times
Quote:
many people don't know how to merge onto a highway.
Older highways don't have long-enough entry ramps. Vehicles need a good quarter-mile, to get up to speed & merge into traffic.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:53 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,251,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Older highways don't have long-enough entry ramps. Vehicles need a good quarter-mile, to get up to speed & merge into traffic.
I think the exit to 95S from Route 3 east has to be the worst merge ever in my experience. I don't remember seeing a sign or anything indicating that the two lanes, going up the entrance ramp onto 95S, have to merge the way they do, which is that the rightmost entrance lane merges almost immediately into the leftmost entrance lane, and the leftmost lane then merges into 95's right lane. I'm not a good judge of distance but it really feels like the right entrance lane is only 100 feet before it merges into the left entrance lane. So if you're a driver in the left entrance lane, you're looking to your left to see if the highway is clear; meanwhile you have people in the right entrance lane who are desperate to merge into your lane before their lane disappears! It scared the heck out of me the first time. Especially since there are trucks that use that exit. I'll look again the next time I take that exit but I don't ever recall seeing a road sign warning drivers.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:01 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times
Quote:
The thing that bothers me most is that so many people don't know how to merge onto a highway. You can't enter a 65mph highway at 45mph. .
You're lucky if they're going 45mph. I've been behind people going literally 15-20mph. The worst thing is when you have on ramps going uphill, which decreases everyone's speed even more.

My least favorite ramp is merging onto I-280 East at exit 4 (Eisenhower Parkway). The on ramp is curved, goes uphill, and it has a very short distance to move over before you get mauled by oncoming traffic. I was on that ramp the other day behind a box truck going 15mph. I thought I was a goner.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:51 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
I just moved from the Mid-West to New Jersey for a job. I'm surprised as to how different the driving etiquette is.

Where I'm from, we usually have a few extremes - few people who drive 10 or more miles over the speed limit and few people who 5 or more miles under the speed limit. A lot of people drive on around the speed limit.

However, in New Jersey (especially Central Jersey, where I'm living) there seems to be more people driving in the extremes and fewer people driving within or around the speed limit - especially on the highway.

My guess for so many people speeding is the difference in lifestyle here. New Jersey tends to have a busy lifestyle attached to it, whereas in the Mid-West the lifestyles are more laid-back.

I see people going at 80 mph when the speed limit is 55 mph and I hardly see the police pulling them over. I wonder if the policies regarding speeding here are different.

What do you all think? What's the reason for so many people speeding here? Should I go with the flow, in order to reduce traffic congestion? I've noticed people like me who drive on the speed limit tend to slow down traffic dramatically in an abrupt manner.

Thanks in advance.
my general observation in most of the mid-atlantic and northeast - if you're moving with the flow of traffic in the right lane - on an interstate, you're unlikely to get pulled over by a cop. if you're in the middle or left lanes, slightly more likely. if you're behaving differently than those around you - whether that be driving faster, or changing lanes frequently - you're a target for the cops.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:33 PM

10,415 posts, read 6,946,810 times
I believe there is current legislation which has been proposed or will be increasing the speed limits on the GSP and TP to 75mph.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:45 PM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
I just moved from the Mid-West to New Jersey for a job. I'm surprised as to how different the driving etiquette is.

Where I'm from, we usually have a few extremes - few people who drive 10 or more miles over the speed limit and few people who 5 or more miles under the speed limit. A lot of people drive on around the speed limit.

However, in New Jersey (especially Central Jersey, where I'm living) there seems to be more people driving in the extremes and fewer people driving within or around the speed limit - especially on the highway.

My guess for so many people speeding is the difference in lifestyle here. New Jersey tends to have a busy lifestyle attached to it, whereas in the Mid-West the lifestyles are more laid-back.

I see people going at 80 mph when the speed limit is 55 mph and I hardly see the police pulling them over. I wonder if the policies regarding speeding here are different.

What do you all think? What's the reason for so many people speeding here? Should I go with the flow, in order to reduce traffic congestion? I've noticed people like me who drive on the speed limit tend to slow down traffic dramatically in an abrupt manner.

Thanks in advance.
Ah, the police lull drivers into a false sense of security by letting speeders go by and broadcasting to everyone else it is ok to do 60 in a 45. Then when the towns need cash the cops pull over speeders in the name of saftey. Almost like baiting deer.

Safety is a convenient rationale for many laws and restrictions in NJ. So many in fact that a cop can pull you over because he dosen't like the cut of your jib and guaranrteed there is an infraction he can cite. Love those license plate frames.....a sure infraction rarely ever cited, but it exists as a default if excuses should run out.

As NJ is a corridor state, many of the drivers you see are from out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey