Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 03:05 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Bingo. Not the ideal job at the time and I knew the commute was borderline stupid. But you hafta do what you hafta do sometimes. Some people commute to NYC from the Poconos and Toms River. I wasn't that far but a year of it was more than enough until I could get something here in Jersey.

My record time inbound was 3 hours during a snowstorm...on a bus...staring at the NYC skyline for over an hour while crawling. God bless those who have the patience for it. I felt like the commute on those days like a mini jail term.
Sorry but this is what you get for choosing to commute on a bus. Just like driving, it works when the weather is decent. As soon as it rains or snows, everything comes to a halt.

This winter, there was one day when forecasters predicted light snow an I took the train to work in the morning. Then it did not stop and was getting heavier and heavier and I left the office around 3:30 pm. It was snowing so heavy around Hoboken that the visibility was practically zero. My train (BCL) left on time and was about 10-15 minutes late. I was pretty impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 04:01 PM

137 posts, read 183,028 times
Bus commutes to NYC these days are borderline torturous - both ways. Going in due to traffic, congestion, disabled vehicles seemingly daily etc. Going out due to extremely long lines, missing buses, filth and a hellacious bus terminal.

As far as I'm concerned bus commutes barely exist not that NY Penn is a dream.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:32 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
It's good exercise. An hour worth of fast-paced walking a day is as good as a 15 minute jog.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:28 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayorquimby View Post
Bus commutes to NYC these days are borderline torturous - both ways. Going in due to traffic, congestion, disabled vehicles seemingly daily etc. Going out due to extremely long lines, missing buses, filth and a hellacious bus terminal.

As far as I'm concerned bus commutes barely exist not that NY Penn is a dream.
The key is the time that you leave. I catch a bus that gets into PA at 6:45. Almost never (5-6 times a year) have problems. The ride home it a pain, but some people are lucky and can take the bus in and the train home

Old 08-06-2014, 08:03 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Sorry but this is what you get for choosing to commute on a bus. Just like driving, it works when the weather is decent. As soon as it rains or snows, everything comes to a halt.

This winter, there was one day when forecasters predicted light snow an I took the train to work in the morning. Then it did not stop and was getting heavier and heavier and I left the office around 3:30 pm. It was snowing so heavy around Hoboken that the visibility was practically zero. My train (BCL) left on time and was about 10-15 minutes late. I was pretty impressed.
Where i live the bus is the only option.

And since the poors generally take buses, NJ Transit focuses most of their energy on train upgrades & catering to the people on the Bergen, Essex, Pascack & Shore lines. My buses to NY were dirty, crowded, half the seats were broken and the heat/AC worked sporadically. In the the years I took it, i dont recall even one new bus. But I've seen plenty of new train cars.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:42 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Where i live the bus is the only option.

And since the poors generally take buses, NJ Transit focuses most of their energy on train upgrades & catering to the people on the Bergen, Essex, Pascack & Shore lines. My buses to NY were dirty, crowded, half the seats were broken and the heat/AC worked sporadically. In the the years I took it, i dont recall even one new bus. But I've seen plenty of new train cars.
Only NJT bus I've taken around here is the #21 through Orange and E.O. (so not a rich clientele) Pretty nice buses at least the times I've gotten them, fairly new (or refurbished) and with working AC.

There are new train cars especially on the Midtown Direct and NEC, but the Hoboken locals on the M&E are quite old.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:09 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
It could be very exhausting. My sister used to commute from Hightstown to NYC daily and got sick of it. Mostly, its the long ride home by bus followed by a 10 mile car ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey