Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,113 times

Advertisements

Hi, due to a job offer in NJ, we are thinking about relocating from a Key Biscayne, a wealthy neighborhood in Miami, FL to Ridgewood, NJ. My husband and I are from South America, our kids were born in the U.S. The demographics here are almost 80% Hispanic and 20% white American while in RW it’s the other way around with Asians as the leading minority. My question to people in RW is…could you tell what is the level/sort of acceptance we might expect from locals as we’ll be considered Hispanic/Latinos? (I was also exploring Glen Rock but it seems that there are almost no minorities there…) Leaving aside snobs, what would a relative down-to-earth person think about having us as new neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 12:49 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocating2014 View Post
Hi, due to a job offer in NJ, we are thinking about relocating from a Key Biscayne, a wealthy neighborhood in Miami, FL to Ridgewood, NJ. My husband and I are from South America, our kids were born in the U.S. The demographics here are almost 80% Hispanic and 20% white American while in RW it’s the other way around with Asians as the leading minority. My question to people in RW is…could you tell what is the level/sort of acceptance we might expect from locals as we’ll be considered Hispanic/Latinos? (I was also exploring Glen Rock but it seems that there are almost no minorities there…) Leaving aside snobs, what would a relative down-to-earth person think about having us as new neighbors?
In Ridgewood, I think that as long as you can afford to live there, you're fine. One of the project managers I'm working closely with right now has lived in Ridgewood for about 20 years. He's Cuban, from Union City here in NJ (2nd largest Cuban community in the U.S.) My old doctor, now deceased, also lived in Ridgewood. He was Colombian.

This is New Jersey. People with Hispanic last names are everywhere and have been for a while now. As a matter of fact, my daughter (of Dutch/Irish/English descent) worked at the Dunkin Donuts in Midland Park, adjacent to Ridgewood. She was the only kid working there who didn't have a Spanish last name--but she was the only kid working there who could speak Spanish.

Ridgewood's a nice place to live. You'll like it there.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-02-2014 at 01:01 AM..

Old 08-02-2014, 05:20 AM

550 posts, read 965,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocating2014 View Post
The job offer must be quite nice. May I assume that your're focusing on Ridgewood partly because of its good public education system? Seems like the folks I know in Miami-Dade county choose to send their kids into private high schools. Maybe except for two or three in areas like Pinecrest who send them to the public schools.

I grew up next town over from Ridgewood, in Paramus, and though it's not as wealthy as Ridgewood overall, that area in general does seem to have a decent sense of inclusion. I was one of very few Japanese kids in school, and FOB at that. But friends I made came from educated families and seemed to have embraced diversity. As a result, we come from all walks of life. But come to think of it, we did have one thing in common: many of us were from well-to-do families. So whether you like it or not, and whether it's fair or not, I would think that your socioeconomic status should help offset any warranted or unwarranted feeling of discomfort you may have for you and your family because you are minorities.

Comparing Paramus to Ridgewood isn't quite the same, but I would hope that living a town over wouldn't have much more of a difference.

By the way, Key Biscayne is a great part of Miami. I will be in your neck of the woods this coming week. I may just sit by the Rickenbacker Causeway and stare across into downtown Miami at night when there's hardly anyone else there.

Best of luck.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:37 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Does anyone suppose Ridgewood has a spokesperson who declares social justice positions that represent the sentiments of the entire town????

Most folks came here to escape provincial attitudes and ethnic prejudice. This is not institutionalized in any town in NJ except in small isolated, unassimilated ethnic enclaves. No town in NJ is of one mind and attitude.

NJ is the most desnely populated state and has the greatest variety of human flavors than anyother place in the world.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:14 PM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
As long as your family acts American, doesn't waive the original country flag around, doesn't have a low rider parked outside, legal and speaks english, what difference does it make?

Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,113 times
Thank you all for your blunt feedback

Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
You will be fine. Ridgewood has everything!! My good friend is Indian and she loves it!! I don't see any issues. Plus people are brought up with manners so even if they hate you, they wont tell you! (smile) You will be fine.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:24 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
Well, Ridgewood is an upper middle class/somewhat rich borough in NJ. It is 80% white and only 5 percent Hispanic. Here is the census link:
Ridgewood (village) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

I am not sure how open Ridgewood residents are to socialize with people of other ethnic backgrounds. You will most likely not have any problems buying a house, sending kids to school, etc... But meeting people and making friends might not be easy. Your kids will most likely have white friends. If you are OK with this situation then you should be fine.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:47 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
I have family in S. Florida and a gringo like me literally has to use sign language to ask for something in the Publix. It's that Spanish down there.

Since you're moving into the opposite circumstances, if your English is good you won't be looked down upon. Ridgewood has tons going for it but also a rep. of being a bit snobby. IMO almost a Midwestern sense of being an All-American town that some towns around it dont have. The teens drive Bimmers, have perfect smiles and are expected to go to Ivy League colleges. So there is definitely some Keeping Up with the Joneses going on.

Miami has lots of "white" Latinos for lack of a better word. Cubans run things there but not here. You will see some in North Jersey but the vast majority living in Paterson & Passaic come from Central & South America and keep to themselves. And instead of a store on every corner selling spanish goods, you will have to.venture into downtown Paterson or Union City if you want authentic latino cuisine.

Last edited by EBWick; 08-06-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey