Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 06:38 PM

4 posts, read 7,641 times

Advertisements

I need to repair a metal roof. Even though I have not taken the whole thing apart I believe that I only need to replace couple of sheets of metal and then caulk it again the way it was done many years ago when it was first installed.

I am at a loss where to find large sheets of metal. The big box stores seem to not carry sizes that are large enough. I need something like 2ftx8ft in order to avoid creating more seams than there are now.

Is there any metal yard that sells to DIY somewhere in Northern Jersey? I am uncertain at this time whether I want aluminum or steel or galvanized steel or something else (stainless, so it lasts longer?), so it they offer all of these so that I can pick that would be great.

Thank you.

P.S.: I am also in need of stainless steels angles (3in on each side, probably 6-8ft long) and I am uncertain where to get these either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 11:08 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,948 times
Home Depot carries them, they just don't stock them. Ask inside about ordering them, or order online.

Here's an 3ftx12ft sheet for example: Metal Sales 12 ft. Classic Rib Steel Roof Panel in Galvalume-2313441 at The Home Depot

Old 08-03-2014, 06:18 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
I know that Allied Roofing Supply carries corrugated panels for the roofing material. For the angle iron you may have luck with your local salvage recyclers. I have had good luck with getting steel plate from my local salvage yard, Beacon Scrap Metal.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:44 AM

Thank you both for the ideas. I ever thought of junk/scrap yard, only of metal yards that sell new steel only. I do not need the roofing sheets, they are probably too thick to bend. I am looking to replace the pieces at the peak of the roof which are regular flat sheet metal bent around the top beam (four parallel bends). The existing sheets which look like aluminum to me are the thickness of a soda can which is why they lasted only so long. Now there are several pin holes in them and when that combines with the somewhat uneven caulking causes enough water to collect and seep through these pin holes to cause an annoyance in the shed below. I suspect there are more pin holes on the way that I cannot see, so that Is why I want to replace them completely instead of just caulking over and hoping for the best.

Here is an example of what I believe I need/want, but the size is too small: 24 in. x 36 in. 26-Gauge Zinc Metal Sheet-47230 at The Home Depot

Old 08-03-2014, 07:14 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Do a home depot search for "10 in. x 10 ft. Galvanized Corrugated Ridge Cap". Is that what you need?

Old 08-03-2014, 08:16 AM

That could have worked if the thing was not clearly custom made. The profile on the top is such that it encases the ridge beam on three sides, top, and two sides before going at an angle of about 45 degrees for another 4 inches to overlap the flat sheets used for the sides of the roof (I have no idea why this was made like that), so I doubt that there is any way around it other than bending the sheet myself (which is probably why whoever did it used this type of thin sheet to begin with).

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:30 AM

81 posts, read 184,840 times
If you are going to do it yourself why don't you just buy a roll of aluminum flashing? It's 26 gauge metal
and can be bent in a brake you can rent from the Home Depot ( check in your area ). You can bend up to 10 ft lengths in this type brake. Bending thicker sheet metal requires different equipment. Might be an idea to look for some sheet metal shops in your area. They can also provide metal for you. Four by eight
sheets of metal aren't fun to play with.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:03 PM

That sounds like a great idea. I am going tomorrow to HD to see if the flashing they have will do the job!
Thank you!

Old 08-04-2014, 11:22 AM

40 posts, read 140,806 times
I have used R.S Phillips Steel plenty of times for larger pieces of sheet metal. They seem to be pretty decent. Some of the guys at my job use them also.

For smaller, easily shippable stuff, I use Mcmaster-carr and Grainger. We fabricate a fair amount of custom automotive race parts (stainless steel and aluminum) at a friends repair shop on the weekends and mostly rely on those 3 vendors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey